Post your 3rd Gen (89-94) pickup photos and mods

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
There are a lot of great trucks on this website to draw ideas from; but, I have found that (at least for me) navigating through all of them can be tedious. I have been inspired by many builds on this forum and DeskToGlory's build is what inspired me to start my own build thread. With the idea of making it simple to search for ideas for our trucks, I would like to start a thread for ONLY 3rd Gen ('89-'94) Toyota pickups. Sorry 4Runner guys; I dig these rigs and also have a 4Runner, but I want this thread to be only for pickups of this era as they have different cargo carrying and camping capabilities.
So in order to simplify the search for all of us building this era pickup into what they view as an "Expedition or Backcountry Camping Rig" I would like to start gathering us into one simple thread.
The "supposed" rules:
-Keep it simple.
-Post a few pictures of your rig (before and where you are now would be good teasers)
-Give a short list of modifications.
-Finally (and most important) post a link to your build thread. If you don't have one, this gives you an excuse to start one so that we can all share ideas. This important step will keep this thread easy to see what people have done to their trucks; and if they want more info on a rig, they can jump to the individual thread and seek more info or ask questions.
I hope this works out as I am not a webwheeler and I don't have a ton of time to search the 'ol interweb for truck ideas. I look forward to seeing what other 3rd gen owners have done to their rigs to make them more capable of backcountry exploration and living. Please chime in so that I can get; or possibly, steal ideas for future modifications
So I'll start:
-1989 Extra Cab
-stock 22re
-5-spead forward shift tranny converted to top shift with a twin sticked 4.7 geared T-case
-Suspension: BJ Spacer front with torsion bars relaxed 1/2", Old Man Emu rear
-4:88 gears, Detroit Locker in the rear
-33x10.50r15 BFG KM2's
-Mix of homebuilt and interweb purchased armor
-Wildernest camper (Sold, but looking at other truck camping ideas)
-link: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-budget-built-89-toyota-pickup-expedition-rig
-pics: 038.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5307.jpg
    IMG_5307.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 45

Kymcmahon5

Observer
C08EBBE3-7662-4EFE-A73E-23734D097546_zpsrkufmzsv.jpg

My truck when I first got it.

B2CC3E69-ED6C-43DA-A49D-F866384D258E_zpskqhzehw6.jpg

0C3C14D2-914C-4423-908E-7C3C6F51CE83_zpsyeoqnnhh.jpg

3 weeks later it looks like this. Still very far from finished but I love it so far.
1989 longbox reg cab
22re, auto, 4.56 gears, 255000kms (approx 158k miles)
Pro comp steel wheels with BFG AT KO2 33x10.5r15 No lift!

Trying to design some sort of up right rack to carry surfboards and eventually a roof top tent. Any Ideas would be awesome to hear.

RainSR5

Yes! Great thread idea.

1993 SR5 V6 manual
1UZFE Swap slowly in progress
4" Bracket lift
Chevy 63s
4.30 ELocker

Once its on the road then the expo mods can start. It'll have 33s by the time its running as well. Only a before pic for now as its currently way too torn apart. I'll get a build thread going once I get some forward progress.

IMG_4397.jpg

Thoryota

Observer
1994 DLX single cab with a 22re and a w56 trans and 4.30 gears no locker.

Free 1980's mini truck roll bar.
Trail-Gear rear bumper
Warn Rockcrawler front bumper with optional grill guard hoop.
Trail-Gear tube doors for the real nice days.
Badland Winches 12,000lb winch. Works good for what I do. Plus it was on sale.
Warn receiver shackle.
Hi-lift jack. (need to figure out better mounting)
Low Range Off Road shift knobs.
Toyota Tercel Bucket seats with ammo can center console.
OME steering stabilizer.
Low profile bump stops. (Trying to squeeze all I can out of the stock IFS)
Over sized radiator to help cool the 22re.
32x11.50x15 Kenda Klever MT's on 15x7 Tacoma wheels.

Attachments

• yota being awesome 4.jpg
    yota being awesome 4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 32
  • yota tube doors rock.jpg
    yota tube doors rock.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 33
  • toyota day 1 #2.jpg
    toyota day 1 #2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 30

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Thanks for the posts so far.
These are good, cheap wheeling rigs; I know there are gobs of them out there, lets see more!

Box Rocket

I don't own this one anymore but here's some pics of my old '93.
22RE
manual trans
Marlin Crawler Dual Ultimate t-case(s)
Solid axle swap
4.88 gears
F/R ARB lockers
TJM front bumper
custom sliders, bedcage, rear bumper
35x12.50 MTRs
15x8" Mickey Thompson wheels
Fiberglass fenders
Honda Bucket Seats

I really enjoyed this truck! I lost my job suddenly and had to sell it unfortunately but I'm shopping for another truck of this era for my son who is starting to drive.

Toy_yota

I don't have a build thread because the truck is pretty much stock but wanted to share anyways.

1993 reg cab 4x4 5spd 22re with just shy of 150k miles.
I just put on 33x10.5 BFG at ko2, had mt km2's previously.
I also have an ARE canopy that I put on during the winter months.

And some pictures...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

xlcaferacer

Adventurer
Started this thread quite a while ago and it died! Hoping to bring it back with some more input from all you 3rd gen truck owners. Come on, post up! I want to see what's out there! Let's get some ideas for other 3rd gen owners.
I've made a few mods to my truck since this thread was started so I will share:
Built a new flatbed with a couple of side storage boxes with the ability to haul a roof top tent and added 35's with a 1" body lift on the cab.
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1430.jpg
    IMG_1430.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 19
IMG_9964.jpgIMG_9958.jpgIMG_9965.jpg IMG_9967.jpg

Stock 91 22re. Added AC and PS. Painted and relined the shell. Installed USB and 12v ports everywhere. Custom amo box center counsel and Scion tC seats. Seat fit well but are TALL. 31x10.5. AAL in the back. Bike shifter hand throttle. Everyone makes false floors and complaints about head room. I made a shelf over my feet and kept the head room. Made my own traction boards that double as wing tables off the tailgate.

Work in progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior