Post up your drawer/storage system

apsilon

Observer
That is very nice apsilon. Is it just bolted together or was welding involved?

Neither actually. The connectors are just hammered in with a rubber mallet and are virtually impossible to remove once in. I was (and still am) a bit skeptical if they'd be strong enough but a lot of people here have used them for similar things and they've held up to some of the worst trails in the country so I decided to give it a go.

soonenough

Explorer
Neither actually. The connectors are just hammered in with a rubber mallet and are virtually impossible to remove once in. I was (and still am) a bit skeptical if they'd be strong enough but a lot of people here have used them for similar things and they've held up to some of the worst trails in the country so I decided to give it a go.
Sounds interesting...what kind of connectors are those?

S

Street Wolf

Military special. Wood. German Shepherd compatible.

032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

Oct72008-3.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
German Shepherd compatible.
033-1.jpg
Just a thought but wouldn't a rubber mat be more compatible for your dog? I know how my GS used to slide like ball bearings on ice when running/moving quickly on tile/linoleum. I figure in a turn/quick stop or acceleration he'd do the same on that surface.

S

Street Wolf

Just a thought but wouldn't a rubber mat be more compatible for your dog? I know how my GS used to slide like ball bearings on ice when running/moving quickly on tile/linoleum. I figure in a turn/quick stop or acceleration he'd do the same on that surface.

Haha, yeah it does. Those pictures are old, and the tile stuff was free and all we had to cover the top at the time. The box is now wrapped in adhesive rubber sheets. Much like toolbox drawer liner, he likes it much better now. :sombrero:

S

Street Wolf

Actually, here are some pictures of the box without a covering, and with the drawers open. Just found them.

019-3.jpg

021-3.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
Here is the one in my BJ74.

I used 3/4 oak veneer plywood because I found it cheap.
Dadoed the joints and used Poly glue and brads to join it.

Picture_005.sized.jpg

Held it together with fancy clamps while the glue dried.

Picture_008.sized.jpg

I made one wide and one narrow drawer to suit the uneven ambulance doors of the BJ74.

Picture_009.sized.jpg

Got some 36" slides from Lee Valley
100_0231.sized.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
I wrapped the box in some Home depot indoor/outdoor carpet.

Picture_013.sized.jpg

I had to jump on it to get it to fit between the wheelwells with the carpet in place.

Picture_015.sized.jpg

The small drawer is pretty handy for fluids, bottle jack, recovery gear, camp shotgun etc and can be accessed by opening just the small rear door.

Picture_016.sized.jpg

The pocket at the front is home to all sorts of junk that I like to have with in reach when I'm driving.

Picture_017.sized.jpg

Seats still recline most of the way.

Picture_018.sized.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
I used some kitchen cabinet hinges to support the wings which have subsequently been removed to make room for the rollcage.

random_068.sized.jpg

I left the sides open at the back and all manor of junk gets stuffed in there.

random_069.sized.jpg

The compartments at the side host an aux battery and a 24-12 volt converter on the pass side and a hi-lift on the drivers side.

random_071.sized.jpg

Some crappy 6x9s fill the holes at the front

random_072.sized.jpg

h2os2

Adventurer
Here is mine in a LR DII
Still a work in progress, just a few more things to add.

Attachments

• CargoBox001.jpg
    CargoBox001.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 602
  • CargoBox002.jpg
    CargoBox002.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 693

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Nice to see all the good ideas here.... :)

Am starting to design my storage rack for my D2 ready for summer, at this point in time it'll need to be a cage design to hold the following :

Engel MT45 fridge
Mix of water & fuel jerry cans (20L & 10L sizes)
Cooker, Pelican cases with food etc
Usual camping stuff like chairs & fold up table.

The fridge will be on a h/d slide out with am addional tray table below it for road side brews. The fuel & water will need rack slots to stop them moving about & to allow easy removal for use. As alot of the camping sites in BC where we live are in heavily forested areas then all equipment needs to be easily transportable from the vehicle to the cooking area as it may be a short distance away. This also allows me to unload the truck during the week as it's also my DD.

Recover gear will live in a peli case on the roof rack along with a RTT once I get one. Soft items will be stowed on the back seat along with the hound.

I was wondering anyone had a picture or two of D2 specific installs that haven't already been posted or a linky to them ?

I'll post some pic's once I start the build. Even though I have solidworks I still find it easier to work directly in steel.... :mixed-smiley-030:

Cheers,
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles