Post up your drawer/storage system

alia176

Explorer
Just curious about weights savings so pardon the newb question! I'm noticing some builds here that are using either ALUM extrusions or ALUM square tubing then "skinning" with plywood material. Obviously the drawers need all sides but is it necessary to skin the sides too, other than purely for aesthetics? I'm trying to save on weight and was tossing around the idea of not skinning the sides or the bottom if I go with ALUM or 16g steel (angle or square tubing).

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Just curious about weights savings so pardon the newb question! I'm noticing some builds here that are using either ALUM extrusions or ALUM square tubing then "skinning" with plywood material. Obviously the drawers need all sides but is it necessary to skin the sides too, other than purely for aesthetics? I'm trying to save on weight and was tossing around the idea of not skinning the sides or the bottom if I go with ALUM or 16g steel (angle or square tubing).
You only need facing on a side if you need to prevent things from going past that plane. (i.e. if you plan to pack a back next to the drawers and don't want it to get squished in between the tubing, etc.) If your setup will work with all open frames, then go crazy. If your drawers are full-width to your vehicle, then open-sides make a lot of sense. If you can mount the frame to the vehicle without a hard bottom (mounting tabs, turnbuckles, etc.), then a bottom would be wasted material.

I actually have a spreadsheet where I modeled the difference in weight between constructing my fridge cabinet out of 1/2" baltic birch ply versus 1" aluminum tubing skinned with RevolutionPly (like lauan). There's potential to save weight, for sure (though in my case probably not enough weight to justify the hassle of building the cabinet a second time and introducing a number of construction challenges)

Land Shark

A while back I started looking to better organize the cargo area of my 3rd Gen to make getting ready for camping trips a little easier. I spent a lot of time combing thru forums to get ideas, but having some cabinetry background I wasn't a total fan of an all wood build. After doing some research on different materials I landed on Aluminum Extrusions and set out to design a drawer system for my 3rd Gen 4Runner. I wanted it to be as light as possible, be able to hold several hundred pounds and be configurable (to a degree).

So I dusted off my CAD skills and went to work. But a funny thing happened as the months ticked by I realized I was designing something that took minimal tools to assemble, didn't require an advanced skillset to construct and was sort of modular with a lot of possibilities for adding additional features (ie, sleeping platform, anchor systems, etc). With the help of a buddy and his CNC Machine I came up with this DIY Kit for the 3rd Gen 4Runner.

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc
Super clean man!!!

Mfitz

I just finished the bulk of this build out in the back of my 2015 F150, 6.5ft bed means I can stretch out pretty well in the back. I have a few more details I want to do to it, and I am sure using it will result in mods and additions.

I finally found a used truck cap for a reasonable price, a black cap on a silver truck looks a bit highway patrol-ish but it was the best I could do. The drawer pulls out, it is full length for decent storage. The lid slides forward and back so I can use the drawer with the lid on for a cook/ work table. The chair assembly (2 pieces) just slides into grooves cut into the side supports so it can be removed in 10 seconds or less and stores flat. The bike tray slides out, and if I flip it over and put it on the upper tracks I can have a much wider sleeping area for if/ when my wife ever travels with me. Alone I will just keep it down in the lower position as it makes it easier to move around. I have led lights wired into the headliner, and they plug into a Jackery unit, as will my CPAP. I have to make window coverings so I can stealth camp and have privacy. I got a thick Exped sleeping mat that will go on the sleep side, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1404.JPG
    IMG_1404.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1405 (1).JPG
    IMG_1405 (1).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1408.JPG
    IMG_1408.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1409.JPG
    IMG_1409.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1410.JPG
    IMG_1410.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 228

Mfitz

nice scribe work. like the 'cycle slider.
Thanks. I spent a lot of time looking at other peoples' designs here and elsewhere, trying to settle on a setup that would work for me. I copied much of this from a guy who goes by Solidwoodworx on youtube, he does really nice work. I made modifications to his designs and used HDPE rather than drawer guides to save money. A midrise cap was my ultimate goal and would have allowed a deeper storage drawer without sacrificing headspace, but I couldn't find one used in a color that would work. It was a fun project that kept me busy during COVID, dreaming of when I could travel again.

s.e.charles

Thanks. I spent a lot of time looking at other peoples' designs here and elsewhere, trying to settle on a setup that would work for me. I copied much of this from a guy who goes by Solidwoodworx on youtube, he does really nice work. I made modifications to his designs and used HDPE rather than drawer guides to save money. A midrise cap was my ultimate goal and would have allowed a deeper storage drawer without sacrificing headspace, but I couldn't find one used in a color that would work. It was a fun project that kept me busy during COVID, dreaming of when I could travel again.

i follow his youtube channel and he has been steadily improving/ refining his methods. i understand some of his building is governed by customer needs & budgets to keep his burgeoning business afloat. be good to see what he could do "unrestrained".

but in the end, i think more simple = more better!

moderndaynorseman

Although they are not bed drawers, here's the storage system I built for the inside of my Frontier:

121374495_344941263393828_3336586475716375127_n.jpg

137296639_10158329980723999_1933867017332622779_o.jpg

With how useless the rear seats are in the King cab for anyone more than 4' tall, I decided to pull them out and build a storage system in their place. Built from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood, it has 3 lockable compartments to keep my VEDC secure and out of sight. I've since tweaked the design slightly to save a bit of weight and make more room in each compartment, but it does the job for now with more than enough room for the essentials.

toyick

I build Boat Anchors
I just finished the bulk of this build out in the back of my 2015 F150, 6.5ft bed means I can stretch out pretty well in the back. I have a few more details I want to do to it, and I am sure using it will result in mods and additions.

I finally found a used truck cap for a reasonable price, a black cap on a silver truck looks a bit highway patrol-ish but it was the best I could do. The drawer pulls out, it is full length for decent storage. The lid slides forward and back so I can use the drawer with the lid on for a cook/ work table. The chair assembly (2 pieces) just slides into grooves cut into the side supports so it can be removed in 10 seconds or less and stores flat. The bike tray slides out, and if I flip it over and put it on the upper tracks I can have a much wider sleeping area for if/ when my wife ever travels with me. Alone I will just keep it down in the lower position as it makes it easier to move around. I have led lights wired into the headliner, and they plug into a Jackery unit, as will my CPAP. I have to make window coverings so I can stealth camp and have privacy. I got a thick Exped sleeping mat that will go on the sleep side, but I haven't tried it out yet.
What kind of plywood sheets did you use here.

moderndaynorseman

what kind of ply wood are you using. the last sheets i used warped big time..

Not sure if your question is directed to me, but I have details on the plywood I used in my original post. No issues with warping, but it's inside the cab and should stay significantly dryer than if it were in the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles