Post up your drawer/storage system

blackohio

Observer
I built this to take advantage of existing bedslide. Has platform and the slide functions as the lower drawer. platform has single center support that rides on the bedslide itself on a rollerblade bearing. Rear of platform behind fridge is where the solar set-up is. Overall it meets my needs but I will be making changes that maybe doesnt utilize the bedslide itself.IMG_6334.JPGIMG_6335.JPGIMG_6336.JPGIMG_6337.JPGIMG_6338.JPGIMG_6339.JPGIMG_6340.JPGIMG_6341.JPG

Last edited:

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
I just finished up a rear cargo drawer system for my Xterra. Lots of great inspiration from so many awesome builds on this site and others. But, the main area I drew inspiration was from: https://theadventureindex.com/shop/

Here's the basics on my setup:
-- 1/2" birch
-- Cut the bottom of each drawer so I could still access the underneath rear cargo tray by folding the back seats forward
-- 400 lb full extension drawer slides
-- 333 lb D-rings bolted with 5/16" pronged tee-nuts and bolts on the top (so I can still strap things down, when needed)
-- Side "wings" are removable, so I can use the space under them, too
-- 12" interior hieght
-- Driver-side drawer is 2-feet deep
-- Passenger-side drawer has a "drawer within a drawer" and a spring loaded prep table. There's room under the prep table to store silverware, spices, spatula, tongs, etc. (or anything else that's no taller than 4")

Pictures...
IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_E1935.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1943_LI.jpg

IMG_1951_LI.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
From what I remember, they were by pair. I purchased a set that was locking and a set that was not and mixed them when I did my installation.

And in the pics, they do show a set in the pics. And I have just found my last order, and it said sold in pair.

Product Number: H-8434
Product Name: Heavy Duty Full Extension Slide 250 and 500 lbs
Items Per Package: 1
Package Type:pair
Price: 120.50
Quantity:1

That was in the fall of 2015

Lmg

I am on the Fine Homebuilding daily tip list. This is todays tip:

HOW-TO
The Big Drawer

Issue 189
fhb189tp03-01-main-e1465911100375.jpg

I know truck-bed extenders are available commercially, but I decided to make my own to demonstrate my carpentry and problem-solving skills to my clients. It seems to have worked. My truck’s Big Drawer never fails to be a great conversation starter.
The Big Drawer is made up of two parts: the drawer and the support-roller system. Neither is attached to the truck bed, so it’s not difficult to remove the rig if I need to haul a load of material.
The drawer measures 4 ft. by 8 ft. and is raised about 8 in. above the base to allow room for stepladders or folding sawhorses. As shown in the drawing, the drawer rides on casters affixed to 2×4 rails. To prevent the drawer from tipping when it’s extended, I attached a couple of overhead casters on plywood brackets 16 in. from the tailgate. The weight of the drawer, in addition to the tools in it, gives the drawer enough friction to prevent it from sliding out. When fully extended, the drawer is 5 ft. past the truck’s bumper, allowing for easy access to items stored near the cab.

fhb189tp02-700x685.jpg

Brad Moritz, Charlotte, NC

Thought that this may be inspiring to someone.

The 2x block which the upper casters are mounted on could be extended to the full length of the drawer to allow crossmembers and a stationary plywood platform to be added.

Hawk136439

I am on the Fine Homebuilding daily tip list. This is todays tip:

HOW-TO
The Big Drawer

Issue 189

I know truck-bed extenders are available commercially, but I decided to make my own to demonstrate my carpentry and problem-solving skills to my clients. It seems to have worked. My truck’s Big Drawer never fails to be a great conversation starter.
The Big Drawer is made up of two parts: the drawer and the support-roller system. Neither is attached to the truck bed, so it’s not difficult to remove the rig if I need to haul a load of material.
The drawer measures 4 ft. by 8 ft. and is raised about 8 in. above the base to allow room for stepladders or folding sawhorses. As shown in the drawing, the drawer rides on casters affixed to 2×4 rails. To prevent the drawer from tipping when it’s extended, I attached a couple of overhead casters on plywood brackets 16 in. from the tailgate. The weight of the drawer, in addition to the tools in it, gives the drawer enough friction to prevent it from sliding out. When fully extended, the drawer is 5 ft. past the truck’s bumper, allowing for easy access to items stored near the cab.

Brad Moritz, Charlotte, NC

Thought that this may be inspiring to someone.

The 2x block which the upper casters are mounted on could be extended to the full length of the drawer to allow crossmembers and a stationary plywood platform to be added.

Did you add any stops or something to keep the drawer from sliding all the way out of truck? Say on a hill?

Lmg

Brad Moritz , who submitted this to Fine Homebuilding said in the description: "The weight of the drawer, in addition to the tools in it, gives the drawer enough friction to prevent it from sliding out." He also states that the drawer is not attached to the truck. So yes, you certainly do want to add a stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles