Post up your drawer/storage system

fiddypal

Adventurer
Any reason you went with MDF? I shyed away from it because its heavier and weaker than plywood, also would not fare well if it got wet and was not sealed properly.

JBThompson

Adventurer
No reason other than cost, really. Birch would have set me back almost double for a 4x8 sheet. I've got enough resin on hand I could mix up a batch to seal it for some moisture resistance but I want to finish the top section first.

jrob

Observer
Just rebuilt the drawer setup for my 100 series. Turned out exactly like I'd hoped, and performed great in CO last week.

Really nice work man. Looks super clean and well thought out.
Love that Expo as ******k sticker!!! Googled it found the site, and ordered one. Thanks for posting!

making a little progress on our junk.

13902684_10154507141109267_7488795614487676998_n.jpg

fiddypal

Adventurer
Getting really jealous of all the pull out drawer setups! I took the easy way out and just built a sleeping platform and some storage bins on the sides. I have a feeling after I test my rig out a few times I will want to do a slide out drawers like all of you have.

Did you all go straight for the drawers on your first build or did things evolve over time as you used your setup?

fireball

Explorer
No offense but MDF is a terrible choice.

Lowe's sells a sheet of MDF for $31. A sheet of not-so-great-but-way better than MDF 3/4" birch ply is $50. We buy 18mm baltic birch ply from our supplier for $25 for a 5x5 sheet. Best material to use is the 15mm or 18mm BB ply. You will need to find a supplier or distributor as it won't be sold by your local Lowe's/HD, and you might pay a bit more than we do but it will be worth it when you consider just a few more dollars in materials and a much nicer product!

JBThompson

Adventurer

Lowe's sells a sheet of MDF for $31. A sheet of not-so-great-but-way better than MDF 3/4" birch ply is $50. We buy 18mm baltic birch ply from our supplier for $25 for a 5x5 sheet. Best material to use is the 15mm or 18mm BB ply. You will need to find a supplier or distributor as it won't be sold by your local Lowe's/HD, and you might pay a bit more than we do but it will be worth it when you consider just a few more dollars in materials and a much nicer product!

No offense taken. I agree MDF isn't the best choice but I wouldn't call it "terrible". The biggest mistake people make when using MDF is they don't take measures to seal it and it swells up like a sponge when it gets wet. I've learned this lesson over many years in mobile audio; every enclosure I build now gets coated in resin inside and out and it works well. I've built enclosures for boats that were coated inside and out and are still going strong; since I'm giving my storage unit the same treatement (including the pine I used for all of the side panels) I'm not too worried.

That said, if I'm wrong and it falls apart I'll happily say you told me so. Fair enough?

Redman333

Adventurer

I've tried to get Baltic birch sheets by me and the cheapest I was able to find is $85 for a 5x5 sheet of 3/4" thick ply. I've chosen to get regular cab et grade y for my build because even that is at $30 for a 4x8 sheet at home depot. I called 3 different local suppliers to try and get Baltic birch. No one carries it so they all want to charge a premium to ha e a special shipment for the just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fireball

Explorer
Might want to try calling one of the local cabinet shops and asking where they buy their materials. I would imagine they can point you in the right direction.

Redman333

Adventurer
Might want to try calling one of the local cabinet shops and asking where they buy their materials. I would imagine they can point you in the right direction.

Haven't tried that yet. Just the local lumber companies. I'll give that a shot. I'd rather use BB if possible.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Speaking of Baltic Birch...

Why Baltic Birch is "better" http://www.woodworkerssource.com/bl...-birch-plywood-why-its-better-when-to-use-it/

Also, there are multiple companies that will produce and ship custom drawers for you. Here are some and there are others (no connection to them, don't know or endorse them, just providing info):

http://www.barkerdoor.com/Baltic-Plywood-Dovetail-Drawer-Boxes-p/drawerbox-baltic-dovetail.htm

http://www.cabinethub.com/baltic-birch-drawer-box-18-deep

https://quikdrawers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=14594

JBThompson

Adventurer
I've tried to get Baltic birch sheets by me and the cheapest I was able to find is $85 for a 5x5 sheet of 3/4" thick ply. I've chosen to get regular cab et grade y for my build because even that is at $30 for a 4x8 sheet at home depot. I called 3 different local suppliers to try and get Baltic birch. No one carries it so they all want to charge a premium to ha e a special shipment for the just me.

Damn, my Home Depot had 3/4" birch ply listed at $58 for a 4x8 sheet. That was why I went with MDF. It was either spend the $58 or spend $28 and whip up a batch of resin to seal it. If they had birch here for $30 I would have happily went that route. Hell, I still could, it'd only take me ten minutes to pull the panels and replace them. :coffee:

Presto88

Adventurer
Thanks for that info, MagicMtnDan. I just bought a new JKU a few months ago and have been contemplating how to set up storage in the back. Reading these threads really has me jonesing to try my hand at wood working, but I was thinking there's no way I could make anything decent (since I have NO woodworking experience). I had no idea that these kinds of places existed! This gives me something to think about....

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Thanks for that info, MagicMtnDan. I just bought a new JKU a few months ago and have been contemplating how to set up storage in the back. Reading these threads really has me jonesing to try my hand at wood working, but I was thinking there's no way I could make anything decent (since I have NO woodworking experience). I had no idea that these kinds of places existed! This gives me something to think about....

Measure twice, cut once.

Maggo

Part2:
Unforunately the Jeep is not wide enough to put 2 large Aluboxes and the fridge parallel. So I had to use a smaller Alubox behind the drivers seat

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_7656_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_7656_1024.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 219
  • thumb_IMG_7663_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_7663_1024.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 224
  • thumb_IMG_7665_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_7665_1024.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 229
  • thumb_IMG_7667_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_7667_1024.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 203
  • thumb_IMG_7672_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_7672_1024.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 218
  • thumb_IMG_7676_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_7676_1024.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 221

JBThompson

Adventurer
Measure twice, cut once.

And use a blueprint. I went to Office Depot, bought a tab of 4x4 graph paper, a ruler and a square. Drew up top, side, front exploded blueprints for my whole build. I went to Home Depot knowing exactly how much material I needed and even mapped out each cut on the sheets so I knew what I'd have left over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne