Post up your drawer/storage system

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I lucked out and found a full set of ARB Outback Solutions drawers with a side fit kit about an hour from my house. I'm not sure what model truck the fit kit was originally designed for, but I had to trim the side upper panels by 3cm on each outer side for a proper fit in my '12 short bed Tacoma. I peeled the carpet back on the panels (which was a chore), trimmed them on the table saw, and then reapplied the carpet with HD contact cement. The back panels were trimmed 4cm for roughly half of their length to clear the rear storage bins (where I stash my bungee cords and ratchet straps). I could have left them be, but my desire was to create a custom look and tailor the panels to the Tacoma's bed. All in all, I'm happy with the setup and it cost me 1/3 of a new drawer system shipped from ARB. Some of the plastic trim pieces need to be replaced, but it's no big deal; I'm sure ARB can supply those when the time comes. I left about ~4-5" of space between the back of the drawers and the front of the bed. Eventually as custom water tank will fill that void. These drawers are cavernous and the side storage bins are a huge plus.
-
The drawers after I purchased them and mocked and everything up:
View attachment 339768
-
The finished product:
View attachment 339769
View attachment 339770
View attachment 339772
View attachment 339773

Awesome score. Looks great

JCDriller

Adventurer
latest storage modification... A fridge enclosure.

This enclosure accomplishes a few things. 1. It keeps people out of the fridge when the top is off. Obviously it's wood so we're just keeping honest people honest. 2. Allows me to store my camp stove above the fridge and take advantage of that space. 3. It keeps items that are stacked up from falling behind the fridge when the fridge is pulled out. (most important)

Photo of the Coleman stove on top of the enclosure. I'll bungee it down.

I drilled out some 2" vent holes so the fridge can properly breath. I'll be installing gutter mesh on the inside to keep debris (dog hair) from getting sucked into the fridge.

The glue is currently curing, but in the end the enclosure will sanded and finished in the same BEHR Deck Over paint at the box. This stuff is extremely tuff. The enclosure attaches to the slider using 6 1/4x20 T nuts and still allows me perfect access to the trap door so I can reach anything stored in the factory cubby under the drawer. Also the power cord will be attached via bungee so that it retracts when the fridge is pushed in.

Finally, I'll be fabricating a drawer that goes in the space under the fridge slider. This drawer will be nice and long, should hold plates, silverware and any cooking utensils I'll need.

Easy Sleeping Platform 2000 Tacoma TRD

I originally posted this in 2010 on ExPo (phlyphishers) and then on Tacomaworld (ScampTramp).

http://s941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/phlyphishers/sleeping platform/

Its worked great for us so far. Hope somebody can use the design.

We have retired the Taco TRD from its duties pulling the 13' Scamp through Colorado and the 16' Scamp through New Mexico and now we have even removed the sleeping platform and stuck it in the storage container until we can buy a 2wd Taco for some quick trips up to Lee's Ferry.

Still love to flyfish!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 151

Whitecloud

One day at a time
latest storage modification... A fridge enclosure.

This enclosure accomplishes a few things. 1. It keeps people out of the fridge when the top is off. Obviously it's wood so we're just keeping honest people honest. 2. Allows me to store my camp stove above the fridge and take advantage of that space. 3. It keeps items that are stacked up from falling behind the fridge when the fridge is pulled out. (most important)

Photo of the Coleman stove on top of the enclosure. I'll bungee it down.

I drilled out some 2" vent holes so the fridge can properly breath. I'll be installing gutter mesh on the inside to keep debris (dog hair) from getting sucked into the fridge.

The glue is currently curing, but in the end the enclosure will sanded and finished in the same BEHR Deck Over paint at the box. This stuff is extremely tuff. The enclosure attaches to the slider using 6 1/4x20 T nuts and still allows me perfect access to the trap door so I can reach anything stored in the factory cubby under the drawer. Also the power cord will be attached via bungee so that it retracts when the fridge is pushed in.

Finally, I'll be fabricating a drawer that goes in the space under the fridge slider. This drawer will be nice and long, should hold plates, silverware and any cooking utensils I'll need.

Great looking setup. What drawer slides are you using for the fridge slide out?

Quick question for those of you that are using roller bearings for your drawers.......what are you using as a stop? As in to prevent the drawer from extending too far and past the bearings.

buzzhead8189

Observer
Alas, I can finally contribute! I just got my storage/sleep system functional. Just got back from two nights at the beach. Much better than my old system!

For the whole construction album: http://imgur.com/a/Dcc7M

Made with 1/2" and 3/4" Birch.

SW1YwrH.jpg

SWHTTH7.jpg

Padre Island North Shore.

IMG_20160423_075622998.jpg

Ramathorn15

Just finished my build over the weekend. It took me about a month working every evening and every weekend. I wanted to make it match the carpet/wood stain of the LX470 and I succeeded. It uses skateboard bearings for the slides and has a locking open mechanism that is actuated by the t-handle. When you unlock it, it slides open and closed freely. If you unlock, then when reach full extension move the t-handle into the lock position, a small hinged piece of metal raises on the track, hitting the bearing, and thus locking the drawers open.

Lq7vaFFl.jpg

AFYWx2il.jpg

J5V7vBWl.jpg

u81jX43l.jpg

dKoS9LDl.jpg

mt4C04dl.jpg

Here you can see the bolt that keeps the drawer from coming all the way out and if you look closely at the track, you can see the hinged piece of metal in the up position hitting the bearing and thus locking it open.

6MkIY2ml.jpg

Here is a link to my build thread over on Mud.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ramathorn15s-drawer-build.915965/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles