Post up your drawer/storage system

dnellans

Adventurer
So I've been making some progress on my storage for the FJC.

Now here's where I'm stuck.

Obviously the crappy sliders (only rated for 100lbs) will fold under the weight of a fridge, specifically the Whynter (edgestar) 45qt. So I'm thinking of going with some 24" double locking sliders. Before I drop the cash on them I have a question. Is there anything wrong with useing drawer sliders mounted underneath the fridge? I realize they are intended to be mounted on the side but I've seen a few people do this before and I'm wondering how they've held up.

Yes - there is a problem. the rating of the sliders is related to their orientation to the load. when you turn those sliders "on their side" they no longer have a profile that is stressed in the same way and looking at those ones, is likely to be much less robust because of how thin the vertical load surface now is. definitely test before you do it, i wouldn't be surprised if those snap under the weight of the fridge in that orientation. you'd be better off mounting them to a wood "bed" in their proper orientation and then setting the fridge on it for durabilities sake. That said - it still might be "good enough" but if it fails, you can't really blame the sliders

dnellans

Adventurer
just realized i might have sounded like a ******** in my last post - sorry about that. yes, don't blame the sliders if they fail, but.... if it was me i would totally try them in the orientation you've got and just slowly add weight to see how much they flex and see if they'd indeed likely fail. most of the time the fridge is sitting on them in the locked shut position so no stress. just gotta be careful and accept the risks while trying out some redneck engineering, that was my only point =)

cerutti

Observer
just realized i might have sounded like a ******** in my last post - sorry about that. yes, don't blame the sliders if they fail, but.... if it was me i would totally try them in the orientation you've got and just slowly add weight to see how much they flex and see if they'd indeed likely fail. most of the time the fridge is sitting on them in the locked shut position so no stress. just gotta be careful and accept the risks while trying out some redneck engineering, that was my only point =)

No worries. It contained the info I was after. After not being able to find anything on the subject anywhere I'm happy for any response. I've been playing around with some ideas and I think I've managed a better solution, I didnt leave my self much room to work with:mad: but maybe just enough too make it work.

fireball

Explorer
Most undermount slides are only rated for 100 pounds or less. Blum makes a heavy duty one rated at 150 pounds that would probably work.

Why aren't you just using the slides you have in the intended orientation?

cerutti

Observer
Most undermount slides are only rated for 100 pounds or less. Blum makes a heavy duty one rated at 150 pounds that would probably work.

Why aren't you just using the slides you have in the intended orientation?

It was a space issue at the time. Fixed it now

gunnermoose

Adventurer
New Solution

Rear Storage Phase I.jpgRear Storage Phase Ib.jpg

Phase I of my storage solutions. Space on the left for my fridge and a drawer going in on the right side, once my sliders arrive. Phase II will be the complete removal of the seats and that space also being utilized.

Grouper

Observer
Here is a terrible pic of the dry run I did last night. The drawers will be given a new textured coating and the fridge gets a slider. I will try to knock it out this weekend and post some pictures of the final product.

storage.JPG

Pilotamis

Observer
A few of these systems have a cook station integrated right into it. I'm curious for those that do this how it works out? Does the vehicle smell like what you cook and have you had problems with animals getting into the vehicle because of the food smell. I know my in-laws RV stinks like garlic when they cook in it. I'd also be worried in Grizzly back country of an unwanted guest stopping over.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
A few of these systems have a cook station integrated right into it. I'm curious for those that do this how it works out? Does the vehicle smell like what you cook and have you had problems with animals getting into the vehicle because of the food smell. I know my in-laws RV stinks like garlic when they cook in it. I'd also be worried in Grizzly back country of an unwanted guest stopping over.

Haha this always makes me wonder too. I see photos of people cooking and stream is building in the cab....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordoSmasho

Observer

Good question. I have a cook station planned for my xj. Hadnt even though of that.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Another concern about cook surfaces in storage units is the heat at the end of the vehicle. Not sure I like that either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles