Post up your drawer/storage system

ventura911

Adventurer
ventura911

How do you like the Caribou system? Your rack, storage system is top notch bud! Great job.

Thanks! So far, the Caribou system has been great. I don't need any straps and it is unlikely anyone will have the key. Speaking of keys, though, I am in the process of changing out the smaller fastener on the Pelican case inside for the larger one. The smaller ones do the job just fine, but I'm using the larger ones up top and want to have the same key for all (plus the larger keys are easier to handle).

mtntrekker

Observer
does your JK have tie down anchors in the rear cargo area? It looks like the two rear bolts were you stored the jack were drilled into the vehicle? I have two tie down bolts on that area and thought about using them. Not sure if the brackets on the rack would need to be moved to accommodate them?

ventura911

Adventurer
Mine did not have tie-down anchors, so I can't say if you could use yours or if you'd have to place the bolts in other positions.

adi

Adventurer
Here is my Phase 1 setup, has been installed for about a year. I had originally planned to bolt the base of the drawers to the 3rd row seats, but unfortunately couldn't find bolts that were low profile enough, especially when drawers were loaded with recovery gear and snow chains. They are AT composite drawers.

Painted the metal subframe this weekend, was pretty impressed that it didn't rust more considering the last 6 months in Seattle and before that I was in Wyoming.

Factory tie downs are all accessible and usable.

Overall view

Top off on the left set

Second row clearance, and exposed subframe that I will build sleeping platform off of

Bare subframe. Bolts come in from the sides through the side of the drawers, with the slide providing clearance for bolts/nuts. The middle straight piece has a bolt that goes through itself and both drawers {bolt head|drawer side|subframe metal|drawer side|nut}

Bolt to factory third row catch bolts. A bit of miscommunication on my end, planned for the C-channel to face the other way, but this still works great.

Better look at the holes to attach drawers to subframe.

cowens

IMG_20120211_175847.jpgIMG_20120211_180528.jpgIMG_20120211_180519.jpgIMG_20120213_152842.jpg at the end it has two hindged doors at the cab side of bed and two removable tiles to adjust for when the cooler is placed in the back or for extra leg room when changing. the top is lined with diamond plate foam pad. with have pics up with the dual power supply in a day or two.

cowens

Shellb, i live in Lowell by Belmont. Shellb name or you live in Shelby.i just sold off everything and the house. I'm off to travel the US and anywhere else for a year. I'm down in Orlando at the moment

ckkone

Explorer
I hate this thread so much that I bought some drawer slides today...

FYI anyone in Salt Lake area you can get 100lb and 200lb slides at NPS for $4 a pair....

shellb

Adventurer
Shellb, i live in Lowell by Belmont. Shellb name or you live in Shelby.i just sold off everything and the house. I'm off to travel the US and anywhere else for a year. I'm down in Orlando at the moment

Wow! Congrats man...travel safely. I'm in Charlotte.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
here's my last one in my Defender 130. She also had a canvas shell over the bed, obviously removed here for pics...

Attachments

• DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 221

mowerman

Adventurer
thats a very neat set up!
When making drawers is it best to sit the sides of the drawer on the floor (and screw up from underneath) or fit the floor of the drawer between the sides (and screw in sideways) - if you see what I mean? :)

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks
I don't really think it matters- just use screws and glue, or at least I did. The center section is one big heavy box with the drawer and a cubby. I then put a lip around the areas on each side of the box, and added a lid to access the areas in front and behind the wheel wells. This also afforded a flat floor for the entire bed area.

JamesDowning

Explorer
When making drawers is it best to sit the sides of the drawer on the floor (and screw up from underneath) or fit the floor of the drawer between the sides (and screw in sideways)

Construction-wise, it's probably easier to cut the base out in the size you need, then assemble on to the base. Strength-wise, it probably doesn't matter much, unless you're considering cutting the base in half to fit a vertical portion in the middle - don't do that.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
thats a very neat set up!
When making drawers is it best to sit the sides of the drawer on the floor (and screw up from underneath) or fit the floor of the drawer between the sides (and screw in sideways) - if you see what I mean? :)

Or, cut a dado down each side and rear panel to fit the base, then glue and nail (or screw) the base to the side panels. That would be super strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles