Post up your drawer/storage system

rayra

Expedition Leader
Anyone have a post on how to build those roller bearing glides from skate board bearings?
Just a few pages back in this topic, lots of detailed pictures, real easy to build.
eta - full topic on it - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/47516-LATEST-PROJECT-Truck-Drawers-Sleeping-Platform

This is giving me an idea for my own build as well. I've never liked the loss of drawer volume due to the various glide designs. Been thinking about using melamine-coated particle board for drawer bottom and box bottom, the coated faces face to face. It's a fairly slick coating. Some sort of dry lube spray would make it work. But maybe instead I build the drawers with the bearings embedded in their bottom edges such that the bearings act as small wheels, protruding just slightly below the bottom of the drawer and flush with the drawer sides. A hole saw just larger than the bearing, drilled centered on the drawer bottom material would make a nifty 'wheel well' for the bearing. And a lag screw thru the center for an axle. Or a sleeved wood screw.
Likewise a few bearings set in the inner top edge of the drawer sides towards the back end of the drawer would ride along the ceiling of the box to help drawer movement when it's pulled out a good distance.
No significant drawer volume lost to mechanisms.

eta the bearings would be something like this on the bottom edges of the drawers -

toytrainwheels_zps89798985.jpg

eta2 or mount the bearings to the side walls of the box, same as in box steel idea, except mount them near the bottom and make clearance cuts in the base board of the box and omit the steel. Just build the box full width and sized to ride on the bearings.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I found Orr and Orr a few years back and ordered a few items from them but never wanted to give up there name until I had my own slides because the rush of expo people will drive up the price! Feast Expo people!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles