Post up your drawer/storage system

jgaz

Adventurer
I too like your choice of wood.
No reason not to include a mixture of function and aesthetics.

Attachments

• FBD38D95-1C18-40E6-94D0-D26BCC86AFA3.jpeg
    FBD38D95-1C18-40E6-94D0-D26BCC86AFA3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 36CA0BD1-F2B4-4AEE-9B54-1927AE1FFF39.jpeg
    36CA0BD1-F2B4-4AEE-9B54-1927AE1FFF39.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • 2D26527E-9826-4695-A50B-06FEFD6EA7F5.jpeg
    2D26527E-9826-4695-A50B-06FEFD6EA7F5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110

rayra

Expedition Leader
Exactly. Coming up on three years since I 'finished' my drawer platform and I'm wanting to find another nice piece of well-figured hardwood. I've got one more round of electrical mods and power panel changes to make and several other cargo area tweaks and hope to do it all late this Fall after the summer heat breaks. But I'm starting the wood shopping now.

drawer platform wood.jpg

Hawk136439

Here's my work in progress from a few hours yesterday. They aren't pretty but not bad for the cost of drawer slides and leftover lumber in the garage. Still need to fold the back seats down so I can build a level surface over them for sleeping.
MZgBAA9Pm0GK0yEJtP1ot8KhQppCqWNAWb3RQZO9WxYwRhDlmYAPURs5bRlkCXuLumPVp2x3QaGNVzOORiYRnt4CUOL6Wn_WIHOKYpxBb-oBPoWjlONbZQOjqqXVtsVGxcigciRyk6DXCRXHSXYyLmHcJ8TSF7o96orWvVHWPVdggBjWTGIfZK7_qwkOWOmivWoI9wMmRZSYAlrbdnBDTqECOkGqqpF4IZiUYLoVFPekuUQrcWs-9r4pgJXuuqa0d5kgUXp7rUqfW_jebJR-SztH7D3QYms1PaTWVEuAYKEw-_dcZsiwGnMCIJXaJ0E8anG3uRZ6URE1UgQstWb1RKVoeI9rI2pyTcUzy-KANSYCZKz_2RHT3P1WRXRTR_Ju0fwPuMLJ79uS7uwNKFAJCuHFsM3joFSBnk4RfD8yLqGzf_rUe6bxxvBr5Bd9khQeQ432MojYTyLnb4OHuembEPqtsEkw4Nr3JXZvR6gS5WUT_LMkcsymBEmj2eB-szgKJM7rZcNaGoOIQ4u_JnPq6kVO0Cb7l7Ns2NUqyaJEPO0YAUmhujRI16ZQJeCKzwYUNem9qRWEFKGmecqeoGz81HNo2eLYdpW94VZhrUmUeHwyb2_OI_7hE-ov8PaxcDDhAtIrk2g7inCVdBOoBPSNKijGcreugDf7=w950-h713-no

WOPAm6jfleWFdBOWNxrwxMFv-uz7sSOoZcXPtDZ5rXQWbofWYlsNGt2Pn7970nI4OgqiTw4QOVK6R9cf4cQx4FoR3X3-BcSYNX-X4pAPNKCzyy1lNEFkwLf8T6gLp1coEbZy3ZLfJuNo1ddKoD7IMg1Ed0-5WEozxXDjyoapaXlZEhrfdM8oKq7Lk7W6YIlutIuaL9ciE2B9sylNIL1JR-4Qf9WZdYfneETc-3OtVkDzR1CXW9cAUsKKu-clygngnfsLjA6BtyEXsJj0MOOXfvPOhpSlzNoWxDyNrEQuMJv9tQMuBEuyJ0Wu_J5UDIbxbKDX89YnCsSbD3VxuSGediG9_Hc6kiJIh1M7Sz1x2qjVJ2gOn2xwh6kjm11uv-qMB0Kqx8c37MVoiD0OZf8H7oxoDaLtLMpfj0MOdm6fF-pZ7gwRD29GTRsXaFwO2ojEK50lmLHnG_-XPMaaMnIf9FCViV2DFHExAtGDqCzggg_g7YdqarYUUL3cIwsMk1KAXgjMDiXViqCd1qGcPk_WFf-sYfn3pVKuSjy0GzFNSEh7iQVrDpSqztA-IrnWKZManRxo9agRjxtWIVsAip4bReYZLwHKNPn1RLWxY7_-nQlJVp1ckc2GYimizQfzKIWgRuqfhpRs7_CFhXBn_UPw2sv4KHkzU_5Z=w950-h713-no

rayra

Expedition Leader
Is that a veneer on the
Yep... burlwood maple
Looks real nice, is it a veneer applied to the plywood drawer faces, or did you go back and retrofit the nice wood?

I've done oak veneer when refinishing our kitchen and bathroom counters, it was an easy process. I hadn't thought to do so on my drawers. Have to consider that. I haven't really beat up the faces as much as the sacrificial platform edging. I could probably get away with a PSA veneer. Might save a bunch of money, over a real nice piece of decorative hardwood.

elliottblackwood

Adventurer
Is that a veneer on the

Looks real nice, is it a veneer applied to the plywood drawer faces, or did you go back and retrofit the nice wood?

I've done oak veneer when refinishing our kitchen and bathroom counters, it was an easy process. I hadn't thought to do so on my drawers. Have to consider that. I haven't really beat up the faces as much as the sacrificial platform edging. I could probably get away with a PSA veneer. Might save a bunch of money, over a real nice piece of decorative hardwood.

It's actually a vinyl overlay. I clear coated the plywood, let it dry, then stretched the vinyl over the drawer faces. Looks good now, hoping it holds up to the abuse.

It's actually a vinyl overlay. I clear coated the plywood, let it dry, then stretched the vinyl over the drawer faces. Looks good now, hoping it holds up to the abuse.
I think you fooled a bunch of us LOL. Had we been paying attention to your build pics we would have noticed that was plywood. You did a good job wrapping the fronts. I do see after viewing a full size pic that the radius on the bottom kicked you in the backside a little.

jgaz

Adventurer
Attached are some pictures of my cabinet build, it's about 95% complete. Need to finish up some wiring and panels to close off the sides. What's everyone using inside the drawers to keep stuff from moving around?
Nice work! I really like the aluminum frame.

Here’s the inside of my drawer. The 3/4” plywood divider in the center is fixed. I went with this fixed in a preplanned location for strength and based its location around what I planned to store. Not sure if it was absolutely necessary for strength but since I’m not using drawer slides I was concerned about the drawer racking.
C6CE1DB7-C848-4FF1-A39F-F4BA4276B66E.jpeg
The rear divider is a piece of 1/4” Masonite that slips into one of two pairs of dados. This has worked out very well. I’m surprised by the strength. I wish I’d incorporated the dados in the front compartment of my drawer. I determined the location of the moveable divider dados based on existing containers such as a 30cal ammo can or quart bottles of oil.

rayra

Expedition Leader
good use of a binder clip, heh.

I still haven't designed my baseplate, but it's coming this winter. I'm still gearing up for re-working a bunch of stuff in back and finally altering / adding some power wiring back there, tied into the Aux battery side of things. Everything has to come out for the re-do.

harpersJK, like the look and the power stuff, is the middle between the rear ports and the forward facing inverter closed in, or are the power connections exposed?

basecampnw

After going through all of this thread for ideas I don't think I ran into using quick clamps for mounting. I have a daily driver setup that I needed quick in, quick out for the drawers so I opted to use these for the rear. Front is mounted with the existing bolt into the body mount of the tie down's factory mount. Takes all of a minute to be able to pull out the drawers. Thanks for all the ideas!

Drawer (1).JPG
Drawer (2).JPGDrawer (3).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles