Post up your drawer/storage system

18seeds

Explorer
Nicely executed. For the sleeping thing, what happens if its windy & cold &/or raining?

i am looking at making or buying something like this

full-midsizebig.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

Sleeping position

DSC00741.jpg

Cooking position

DSC00742.jpg

Last edited:

wardrow

Adventurer
Awesome job! Very unique design. I really like the drawer inserts that double as a platform when you pull the drawer out.:)

wardrow

Adventurer
Pretty impressive Wardlow. Any idea how much all that stuff weighs?

Given the weight of the stock factory seat with brackets and hardware and the previous system I had in place and two very heavy 20mm ammo cans we used to use for gear storage, I don't think it adds more than 25-30lb overall to my weight. BUT I could be wrong. I notice more weight change when I put the tent on than when I installed the storage system.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Nice job utilizing a confined space...very efficient. I also like that, excepting the fridge, everything makes a level deck. Good place to secure the rest of your gear.

May I make one suggestion? I recommend rethinking the use of bungee cords to secure the fridge?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
May I make one suggestion? I recommend rethinking the use of bungee cords to secure the fridge?

x1,000,000 :victory:

I use a 6ft length of Tie Down Strap that I cut to be just long enough to get several wraps around the spool and still have 6-8" of remaining loose end.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
This is probably in the top 10 threads I have read on EP, great ideas on materials and use of space. I'm only on page 5 and there have been some great ideas that have me thinking about what to do for the back of my truck.

Oxcart13

Observer
Like many I have pulled ideas/inspiration from this thread, so thought I'd post up my 'completed' system as a contribution to the thread. (we know it's never really done.)

Requirements were pretty simple, flat deck to securely hold the crates for my dogs or peli cases, maximum use of the space for storage in drawers and over wheel wells, and storage for items like camp table, camp chairs and long guns.

So 1" square tubing (16 gauge wall) used to build the skeleton. Then skinned with 22 gauge sheet metal. Aluminum drawers with 125lbs. slides with misc hardware. 1/4 plate used as backer for the Mac Tie downs. Grade 8 hardware used to secure the elements together and to the tub of the truck. Cut and fit some inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpeting as liners for the deck and drawers. An upholstery shop trimmed it up as I don't have a sewing machine.

As you can see in the images, there's the base piece, drawer system which goes on top of the base, plus two wheel well storage elements. The last piece is open storage for now, but I want to replace it with a tank of some sort to hold water. I just haven't settled on the idea - AT like tank, build one out of Aluminum or Stainless, carry bladders, or something else..... I need to review this whole thread again. Some of the fold down nozzle ideas were pretty slick.

For cost, some material was pretty reasonable like the 1" tube @ $14 a 20ft stick. On the other hand, the T-handle latches were expensive.

For time, it took me well over 40 hours easy, as I'm not the fastest.

Like most projects, after your done you realize there's some things you could have done differently/better, so if anyone goes down path of a project like this, I'd be happy to provide some insight.

Attachments

• Deck Systemr3.jpg
    Deck Systemr3.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Rear Storage Mock-Up9.jpg
    Rear Storage Mock-Up9.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 1,072
  • Rear Storage Mock-Up3.jpg
    Rear Storage Mock-Up3.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 1,271
  • Rear Storage Mock-Up12.jpg
    Rear Storage Mock-Up12.jpg