Post up your drawer/storage system

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Do you already know how to TIG? If not... you won't be building anything for a while. ;)

After spending over 10 years in the UK food industry.... all the repairs I did were in TIG'd St/St :drool:

The good (welder) guys had welds as neat on the inside of the tubes as the outside... back flushing makes all the differance and it's all in the wrist action !

SilverBullet

Explorer
These are the drawers I made a couple years ago, but now I am going to rebuild them taller to fit more inside and have the length addition for a bed when the seats are lowered. Anyone want the old ones?

Attachments

• CIMG3808.JPG
    CIMG3808.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 920
  • CIMG3809.JPG
    CIMG3809.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 731
6string's Storage/Sleeping

Since first happening across BajaTaco's site, I have always admired the security, convenience, efficiency, and common-sense approach to having a sleep/storage platform in a pickup bed. I started with thoughts inspired by his design, then built upon those with ideas from many of you on this site. (I really like how FlyingWil had his fridge mounted on a slider next to a drawer, making a great kitchen area at the tailgate, for example.)

My pre-requisites:
--It had to be large enough to securely hide (carry) my day-in/day-out basic load.
--Be able to come out fully within 10 minutes, and go back in within the same.
--Be low enough to offer decent headroom; I don't want to be claustrophobic.
--Look good, not cheap and thrown-together.

Everything was made out of standard 1x10, 1x6, 1x3, 2x2, and 19/32 OSB. Everything was covered in standard indoor/outdoor carpet. I bought it all at my local Lowe's. (10% military discount, every single day!)

This is my final product:

IMG_1097.jpg

Started with a BedRug for noise/cold insulation. Plus, I think it gives a nice fit/finish.
The little boxes in each corner are there to support the corners of the platform. They also offer storage.

IMG_1098.jpg

This is the center unit; all one piece which slides in between the aforementioned corner boxes.
(I gave everything a coat of black for appearance's sake.)

IMG_1099.jpg

Here you can see the support/storage foundation fully-installed. Now it's a simple as slipping in the drawers and installing the lids, which together create the platform.

IMG_1087.jpg

Here you can see how my drawers were constructed. The floors are 5/8" laminated ply for strength.

IMG_1100.jpg

Drawers in.

IMG_1094.jpg

Test Fit: Here you can see how each panel (lid) simply locks into place like a puzzle, while easily lifting out for access to storage areas underneath.
Also, this pic shows where the fridge rests while moving. (More on that in a moment.)

Originally, I was going to go with hinges, but decided against it due to convenience of access, and removal and storage of the entire platform. Great decision, and glad I did it like this. (Hinged lids would require the platform come out all at once. OUCH. My way, they simply pop out individually and takes much less room when stored in the garage.) I've had zero issues with this configuration.

IMG_1101.jpg

Finished product. Here you can see the cooking/sleeping configuration with the fridge in the 'out' position. Now what of the 'hole' in the platform where the fridge was when it was 'in'? I have a single lid which simply drops into place over the fridge cavity, that way I have a full 4'x6' flat sleeping area. (Yes, this means that the tailgate must remain open during the sleep cycle. I have had no problem with this. If it's raining, I simply put out my tarp awning over the back end of the truck.)

IMG_1088.jpg

Finally, I put up three of the same Osram Co-Pilots that BajaTaco used. There are two 8" in each far corner, plus a 20" at the rear for lighting the fridge/tailgate area. The lights are fantastic, and highly recommended. Pricey, yes, but I found them on eBay for a reasonable amount; they are totally worth the dime.

You can see that I also put up an elastic cargo net so my Overland Journal, a jacket, or other lightweight whatnots are quick to grab while I'm chillin' in the sleeping bag.

Anyway, I hope y'all in the planning stages can take something from this. See you on the trail!

wc

Reactions: WVI

soonenough

Explorer
I really like your setup, 6string. You've probably already mentioned it somewhere else, but what type of camper shell do you have?

Also, just out of curiousity, what is the round thing hanging from a carabiner in the top right of the last picture?

I really like your setup, 6string. You've probably already mentioned it somewhere else, but what type of camper shell do you have?

Also, just out of curiousity, what is the round thing hanging from a carabiner in the top right of the last picture?

Thanks. My topper is a Leer 100r with windoors and sliders. Check my build thread for more info. (Link on signature line below.)

The thing hanging there is a battery-operated LED lantern. Runs nearly forever on 4 AAAs. Got it at Wal-Mart for like seven bucks, and it's been super useful. Unfortunately, though, I haven't been able to find another since.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I have a custom drawer in my Jeep Wrangler LJ from the fine folks at Adventure Trailers.

3501641772_57380b4f45.jpg

3500828575_11c01c9da4.jpg

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Looks very nice !
Please, would you elaborate ? ? ?
How did it all come about ?
Details, please...

Cheers,
Frank

I liked the AT drawers from the start, but unfortunately none of the stock options would fit in my Jeep which has a smaller cargo area than the typical expedition truck. So I contacted Martyn at AT to enquire about a custom drawer made to my specifications and he said it would be no problem. A small group of us then tried to get enough interest for a group buy to keep the cost down but to no avail. At this point I decided to buy a single custom unit for myself the cost be damned. The drawer is specific to my truck as I moved to back seat forward by 2" and removed the padding from under my carpet in order to maximize the size of the drawer. It ended up 34.5" wide and 24" deep and only weighs around 40 pounds. It has met my needs perfectly and proven to be completely durable even with the light weight construction. I have it fully loaded with my complete kitchen kit, filtering system, first aid kit and personal toiletries. I highly recommend the AT drawers to anyone who is looking for a pre-made solution as opposed to a home brew setup. I will be selling the LJ next year and replacing it with a new 4 door Wrangler JK and an AT drawer will definitely be in the back of this truck.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thank you !
That's great. It looks like you did the right thing and that you are so satisfied with the result that you're going to do it again with the next vehicle says a lot.
I went to the AT site, after posting, and saw the page for the drawers. Looks like very good stuff.

Cheers,
Frank

I liked the AT drawers from the start, but unfortunately none of the stock options would fit in my Jeep which has a smaller cargo area than the typical expedition truck. So I contacted Martyn at AT to enquire about a custom drawer made to my specifications and he said it would be no problem. A small group of us then tried to get enough interest for a group buy to keep the cost down but to no avail. At this point I decided to buy a single custom unit for myself the cost be damned. The drawer is specific to my truck as I moved to back seat forward by 2" and removed the padding from under my carpet in order to maximize the size of the drawer. It ended up 34.5" wide and 24" deep and only weighs around 40 pounds. It has met my needs perfectly and proven to be completely durable even with the light weight construction. I have it fully loaded with my complete kitchen kit, filtering system, first aid kit and personal toiletries. I highly recommend the AT drawers to anyone who is looking for a pre-made solution as opposed to a home brew setup. I will be selling the LJ next year and replacing it with a new 4 door Wrangler JK and an AT drawer will definitely be in the back of this truck.

18seeds

Explorer
Dry fit
it's not completely done but you get the idea. for sleeping you pull the drawer out to the edge of the tailgate and put a board ontop

IMG00052-20100129-1622.jpg

IMG00053-20100129-1622.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles