Post pictures of your Land Rover.

gabrielef

And back in its natural habitat.

Rear cross over pipe went pop, going up the hills leaving Salt Lake I noticed it pretty quickly, gap tool said temp only went 5-10°f above normal operating temp. It’s sitting at the back of a Indy LR shop in Salt lake to hopefully get fixed tomorrow.
View attachment 660914

Glad you caught it in time! How many miles does it have? I have a 2013 with 55K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOUGE

Glad you caught it in time! How many miles does it have? I have a 2013 with 55K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2012 with 102-103 miles on it. I did the 100,000 miles service including gearbox before I left for this trip and saw no signs of leaking. The front and rear cross over pipes were on my list to change but ran out of time before I left.

I would say 80-90k miles is a good time to change them and maybe water pump.

catmann

Here is an interesting one:

10.08.2021, 11:40
The slowest Land Rover in the world? Instead of a radio, it has an insertion hole under the boiler

British retiree Frank Rothwell redesigned the old 1967 Land Rover model to steam only. He is even allowed to drive on normal roads.

The slowest Land Rover in the world?  Instead of a radio, it has an insertion hole under the boiler

Source: Youtube.com/DRIVETRIBE

It has been fashionable for a few years to take an old car, dissect it and insert batteries with an electric motor into its bowels. Nothing against taste, let everyone do with their property what they see fit. Apparently, however, there are those among us who think a little differently. More precisely, their thoughts run in exactly the opposite direction. To history.

A shining example is Frank Rothwell from Oldham, England, who looks like any other retiree. He walks in dirty overalls, has a bekovka on his head and a cheerful, contagious smile on his face. Except that this seventy-year-old guy isn't quite an ordinary senior.

Last year, he boarded a boat and, in 56 days, sailed across the Atlantic alone to draw attention to his foundation, ultimately raising £ 1.1 million to research Alzheimer's disease. This time I'm responsible for another project, but similarly crazy.

Frank owns a 1967 Land Rover Series IIA, which was fitted with a 2.25-liter four-cylinder diesel engine, an equally large petrol engine and a 2.6-liter in-line six-cylinder. In this case, however, you will not find any of the mentioned aggregates under the hood.

e67f196e-0a93-4ec4-96df-741f91414c90

As Frank says in a video shot by the DriveTribe platform, founded by the original well-known TopGear trio of Clarkson, Hammond and May: “What should one do on Sunday afternoon? I took part in a weekend event with steam engines and I noticed miniature versions of the vehicles there. I thought they had to be really good engineers to build something like that, ” adds Frank Rothwell.

The speech then turned to exactly such a machine, already standing in his yard. "Yes, there's Elvia, but I cheated, bought a kit and built it in the garage," he recalls. Only one machine powered in this way was probably not enough for him, not to mention that it was really just a miniature.

He needed another, ideally some life-size one. And that's when it occurred to him that he could install a steam unit in another vehicle. Thus was born the idea of a model from Land Rover with steam propulsion. You can see how it developed further in Frank's own submission in the video above.

f66ef048-2250-476c-85d1-9090ad4b7dbc

Initially, he tried to estimate the weight of an engine with a gearbox and differentials and compare them with the weight of a steam engine. And because there wasn't much difference, he set about rebuilding.

He first made an imitation of a steam generator from plywood to be sure that he would get it there after any necessary adjustments. And since everything was seated, he dismantled the old engine with the front differential and gradually made a steam butt.

He added manual throttle control, produced several simple backup brake systems, and the Land Rover Series IIA, powered solely by the power of an external combustion steam engine, was born. However, it is not the fastest, on the contrary, it is probably the slowest Land Rover in the world.

1925a4a1-4217-474d-9c20-7b130ba2392c

Frank admits that the maximum speed of his vehicle is only 19 kilometers per hour. And on the hill he is glad that he goes at least three kilometers per hour. But do you know what's best about it?

His Mildred, as he called the car, has passed a "technical inspection", so he can legally set off on normal British roads with it.

rgallant

Adventurer
Away this May, before fire season

B594gOk.jpg

Pacific Logging truck, you see them mostly on Vancouver island. Real exciting when they are coming at you.

IMJKIFD.jpg

ryane26vt

IMG_3468.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpegIMG_2411.jpeg
IMG_2329.jpeg
Just a few shots from her first long adventure, post engine break-in! ~3700 miles across 1 week. Music festival in Iowa -> Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota -> Indian Peaks Wilderness, Colorado and then back to Tennessee.

Bone stock for now but I'm working to prioritize updates/modifications (all will be relatively mild). First priority is deciding on a roof rack/bar/storage setup. I'm agonizing over all of the potential paths forward vs. actual use cases.

brickpaul65

Adventurer
W
View attachment 676861
View attachment 676862View attachment 676863
View attachment 676864
Just a few shots from her first long adventure, post engine break-in! ~3700 miles across 1 week. Music festival in Iowa -> Black Hills and Badlands of South Dakota -> Indian Peaks Wilderness, Colorado and then back to Tennessee.

Bone stock for now but I'm working to prioritize updates/modifications (all will be relatively mild). First priority is deciding on a roof rack/bar/storage setup. I'm agonizing over all of the potential paths forward vs. actual use cases.
Where are you located in TN? I just picked up my 2022 P300 a few weeks ago. I am hoping to putz around Windrock in a few weeks after my tires come in. Just some easy trails to get familiar with it and have fun. I am looking forward to seeing how it dos relative to the LR3 I had.

ryane26vt

W

Where are you located in TN? I just picked up my 2022 P300 a few weeks ago. I am hoping to putz around Windrock in a few weeks after my tires come in. Just some easy trails to get familiar with it and have fun. I am looking forward to seeing how it dos relative to the LR3 I had.

Knoxville! You?

brickpaul65

Adventurer
Same. I realized you were likely in Knoxville by some of the decals on the window :) I am going to be trying to do some riding on tame/stock friendly routes in the next few weeks. I used to go in my LR3, but it had skids and sliders to help when I misjudged stuff. I have spent the last three years riding in a RZR so my memory on what is some good 'ol fun riding with not damage for a vehicle is pretty fuzzy.

I will shoot you a PM if you are interested. I have a buddy with a Jeep Galdiator who may be going here and there with me. Our goal is just to play around and have a few minor challenges without beating up our daily drivers. The biggest challenge in this type of terrain for him will be the rear overhang.

Paul

Knoxville! You?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles