Post pictures of your Land Rover.

stevenr

Observer
sorry I missed this post

yes I was happy with the SSR's for the most part.

Off road they are really hard to beat, the amount of traction they afford will take you farther down the trail then anything else I have had on a disco.

On the road they are not bad but they REALLY knock the heck outa the gas mileage on long trips. I just swapped some 255/85/16's on and milage went up about 2 mpg just from the tires.

The other thing to keep in mind is the demands these tires will put on the drivetrain, when I first went to them they took out the CV's the first two trips in a row. Stck CV's are just not strong enough for the footprint and forces this amount of mass creates. After swapping to the RCV CV's I have not had another issue in like 40 trips so you really need to upgrade the CV's going to this big/heavy of a tire if you wheel it hard.

Thom

Thanks for the response. I have Keith's CV's & shafts & GBR's 4.11s, running 255/85 BFG MT's and have gone thru 3 sidewalls now. The truck is not my daily driver, but it's not uncommon for me to drive 400 miles each way a few times a year for various events. That's my big consideration and why I'm having a hard time with tire choice. If it was a trailer queen, it would have had bias ply a long time ago.

Thanks again.

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
One more then!

Glad you like the photos. They keep me sane when I'm stuck in the office...

Ok, here's one more. Abut 6 months ago I picked up a 1972 Dormobile (it's a Series 2A, which is unusual for 1972) which is in pretty good shape thanks to the South African climate where it spent most of its life (I found it via eBay in Reno, NV). It has the sweet 2.6 I-6 petrol engine, and boy, it sounds sweet. When I have some time, I'll strip the interior, replace some bits and pieces and restore with a plan to keeping her.

@jeff_wright - thanks! the photo is about 30-50 miles south of Zouérat in Mauritania.

@mattscott - Yeah, I keep the 110 in the UK, handy for North Africa trips

@C_Red - I wish! I have a 2 car garage from the 1920s, though fortunately the only cars short enough to fit are D90s!

Cheers,
Nick.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
Glad you like the photos. They keep me sane when I'm stuck in the office...

Ok, here's one more. Abut 6 months ago I picked up a 1972 Dormobile (it's a Series 2A, which is unusual for 1972) which is in pretty good shape thanks to the South African climate where it spent most of its life (I found it via eBay in Reno, NV). It has the sweet 2.6 I-6 petrol engine, and boy, it sounds sweet. When I have some time, I'll strip the interior, replace some bits and pieces and restore with a plan to keeping her.

@jeff_wright - thanks! the photo is about 30-50 miles south of Zouérat in Mauritania.

@mattscott - Yeah, I keep the 110 in the UK, handy for North Africa trips

@C_Red - I wish! I have a 2 car garage from the 1920s, though fortunately the only cars short enough to fit are D90s!

Cheers,
Nick.

You purchased that from someone in Reno? hmmmm... I can think of a few people here that have many rovers in there garages, but I never saw that one around. Beautiful fleet of Rovers you have!

TeriAnn

Explorer

Nice looking Dormie. We need more of them on the trail. May I suggest that you join the Land Rover Dormobile mail list?

How to join info is on this web page: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/emailList.html

We are getting ready to make a group purchase from Dormobile Ltd in the UK to share shipping costs.

Since I'm a believer that posts in this topic should include a picture ...
GRKaneCreek08lt.jpg

My Dormobile camped in Kane creek canyon, Sept, 2008​

Last edited:

nickt

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0009
@Teriann, thanks, I'm already on the list!

Had a little crawl over your Dormie at the National Rally, nice to see one getting used like they should!

Cheers,
Nick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior