Post pictures of your Land Rover.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
I definitely don't agree that they are barely safe in snow. I used them a few times in deep snow up in WI a bunch of times, in addition to normal snow use around the Chicago area and they were great.

Opinions and experience vary greatly on snow. IMO, DT are ok in a couple inches, but in anything deeper or colder than 20F braking threshold is quickly doubled and unacceptable (for me ) as winter tire. Mine come off in November and go back on in April. I run FS winterforce or Nokian RSIs on all my trucks for the winter--they just work. Maybe northeast snow has different hydrogen bonding behavior? ;) KM2 in the snow....deadly...

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Opinions and experience vary greatly on snow. IMO, DT are ok in a couple inches, but in anything deeper or colder than 20F braking threshold is quickly doubled and unacceptable (for me ) as winter tire. Mine come off in November and go back on in April. I run FS winterforce or Nokian RSIs on all my trucks for the winter--they just work. Maybe northeast snow has different hydrogen bonding behavior? ;) KM2 in the snow....deadly...

Last winter was my first on Duratracs. Prior to that I'd always run BFG ATs. I found the Duratracs let the truck squirm laterally more than the BFGs, BUT my Duratracs are 2" wider than my BFGs were. Due to that, I don't think it's possible to make a true comparison. I didn't encounter any braking difficulties. I looked up 20F and it's about -7C, which would be typical winter conditions here. My wife's Volvo XC90 with Blizzacs tracked way better in the snow, but that's a dedicated winter tyre so I'd be very disappointed in it if it didn't outperform an AT. I wouldn't try to take my wife's Volvo through a snow-covered rutted off-road trail in the middle of winter ... oh wait I DID do that. Turns out it doesn't have the clearance or traction of the 110. Horses for courses and all that.

fishEH

Explorer
Comparing an All Terrain tire to a Winter Specific tire isn't really fair. The Winter tire should outperform the DuraTrac in the snow.
The DuraTrac I think does better in most conditions than most any other AT tire. I had no problem breaking trail for 8 hrs in 18" of fresh. Those are 265/75/16 FWIW.
100_1345.jpg

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer

I had no issues with them in -10 and below, this picture was taken at Easter as well... haha.
I love Global Warming, it's been bloody freezing so far this year with only 4 days where we can call it summer.

The local car was attendant's were less than impressed when i rolled up for them to clean it on sunday..

outofrshell

Adventurer
My first step into Rover land, I had grown up around a series 88 that a family friend had and alway thought it was neat vehicle and just recently had a chance to buy one. We towed it home yesterday with my other obsession (Isuzu Troopers). This is a 1970 Series 88 bought new in 1969 in Pa. by the original owner and has 55,000 miles on it. Mechanically sound but has not been run for about 2 years, interior is a little rough but useable,body is in very good condition one small dent on left front fender and faded paint. Needs a good cleaning and a complete service and then get running then just have some fun driving it.Dave

JK9K

After 7 or 8 months in the garage getting "open heart surgery" I was able to get the Rover out and take a quick trip to eastern Minnesota, along the St Croix River Valley and into the Nemadji State Forest. Just a little trip, camped for one night and headed back to Minneapolis the next day.

null_zpsf7107942.jpg

null_zps2a82f210.jpg

1991LRrrc

Expedition Truck
heres my 1991 range rover county. with OME medium duty shocks and coils. its been sitting for 6 years before i got it.
a list that i want to do to it.
front winch mount bumper
custom rear bumper
custom rock sliders
roof rack
heavy duty suspension kit
24 spline rover axles from a disco
lt230 t-case from a disco
31 gal gas tank
arb on-board air compressor
LT235/85/16 A/Ts
hd steering links