http://oldmonkeybut.smugmug.com/Other/Jeep-Trailer-Build/i-
DNZgPSc/0/L/Trailers%20first%20trip%20002-L.jpg

Labor%20Day%20Fun%202007-Steens-Alvord-Hart%20Mtn%20038-L.jpg

Jeep%20at%20Dunes%20Oct.07%20005-L.jpg

Fall%2CWinter2007%20026-L.jpg

Jeep%20Trip%202008%20104-L.jpg

LilPoppa

Adventurer
That's an interesting support you have in the front. Is that manufactured, or is it a custom job? If it's easy to take off, that could allow one to carry a canoe over a Habitat, no?

[/QUOTE]

Oldmonkeybut

Observer
That's an interesting support you have in the front. Is that manufactured, or is it a custom job? If it's easy to take off, that could allow one to carry a canoe over a Habitat, no?

[/QUOTE]

I built the Canoe Rack myself. The front support bolts to my winch mount with four bolts. It is easily removable and very stable. The rear portion is bolted to my trail rack which is connected to my swing away tire carrier. Both halves are padded with pipe insulation and have chain links welded on the ends. I cut down some ratchet straps to fit my Canoe. I remove the front portion when I am not using it because I get tired of looking through it. The rear hasn't been removed since I put it on there. The rack also works for a Ladder or other "light" long things. The picture was taken during a 9 day primarily non-paved trip that took us through Oregon, Idaho and Washington. The Canoe and Rack combo were rock solid and worked like a charm. The only real issue I have discovered is that it is too far between supports for our Kayaks.

docwatson

Adventurer
My first Jeep a 2001 XJ that took me to many 14er trailheads (2" lift)
Not sure 013.JPG
before meeting its fate when some kids pushed it off a cliff (it rolled about 1200ft)
0520121707 (640x480).jpg
and my current Jeep a '98 XJ (2" receivers front and rear, 2" lift, skids, etc.)
DSCF0137 (640x480).jpg

docwatson

Adventurer
We need that story man!
Haha. Well my buddy and I were driving to a hiking trailhead. We arrived at an obstacle I couldn't get over or around so we parked it off to the side, flat ground not near the edge, with room for vehicles to drive by. From there we took off on our hike. Saw one jeep further up the trail, finished our hike to the peak and then turned around and came back. Well the Jeep wasn't where I left it. My buddy and I saw a square headlight bezel. Kept going down the cliff and there was my jeep at the bottom. When we got back to the top you could see the footprints and tire tracks. I had put it in park and set the parking brake and the wheels would have had to be turned to get it off the edge. So needless to say someone pushed it. Cops came to pick us up (because who else to do call when your vehicle is vandalized?) but couldn't find us so we had to walk a few miles to a major trail. Insurance company had to have a helicopter pull it out. Here is a picture to put the fall into perspective lol.
Jeep 008.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz