Post Pic's of your Jeep

Mbogo

Observer
took a trip up Mt. Charleston this weekend, up to about 8200' (Highest I've ever had her is 9075). She was still purrin' like a kitten...but boy does she get guttless at altitudes like that. It was all i could do to keep going 50mph.

I'm nervous to try and drag my camper up there in a few weeks.

Have you considered rejetting the carburetor? Or maybe it's time for a FOUR-OH-ONE! If anyone could find and build one in a few weeks, you could! I'm rooting for ya! Anyone can bolt stuff to a JK, but it takes some skill (and taste) to expo in a vintage FSJ (well, technically, all FSJs are considered vintage by now, but you get my drift).

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
Anyone can bolt stuff to a JK, but it takes some skill (and taste) to expo in a vintage FSJ (well, technically, all FSJs are considered vintage by now, but you get my drift).
Wow, interesting statement. Maybe some of the tasteless JK folks have already been down the unreliable, band-aid to get there, classic route? I have.

I respect all builds, even if not my exact taste. ;)

bobDog

Expedition Leader
As they say it's all a matter of timing.....take a timing light w/ you! :coffeedrink: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Wagoneer looks great!

Cheers!
~CLK

Thank you!

Have you considered rejetting the carburetor? Or maybe it's time for a FOUR-OH-ONE! If anyone could find and build one in a few weeks, you could! I'm rooting for ya! Anyone can bolt stuff to a JK, but it takes some skill (and taste) to expo in a vintage FSJ (well, technically, all FSJs are considered vintage by now, but you get my drift).

Hahaha, no desire for a 401, my 360 runs strong, just not at altitude. I'll be rebuilding the spare one I have soon enough.

Also, no real desire to re-jet. The issue is that it runs perfectly down here, but runs like crap "up there" I regularly travel several thousand feet in either direction (for example on the death valley trip this year we went from 3000', to 5000', to -185', then up to 7500', then back again). It's tough to get a setup that'll run strong in ALL of those locations. Some carbs have altitude compensation....but short of EFI or swapping to a stock 2bbl motorcraft, there isnt much i can do that will be ideal in every situation.

And thanks, I know, it takes a special kind of crazy to pour ones heart and soul into an FSJ haha.

Wow, interesting statement. Maybe some of the tasteless JK folks have already been down the unreliable, band-aid to get there, classic route? I have.

I'm sorry if he rustled your jimmies...I figured he was just making familiar conversation with me because we know each other from JF too...I'm sure he meant no offense.... from your avatar/signature it looks like you have a very nice very built JK. Your super charger alone is probably worth more than my humble old unreliable jeep.

Just doin' what I can with what I've got....

Wagoneer does look good. Good luck with the elevation correction.

not a lot to correct, as mentioned above. runs great at 3000', pings at sea level, is gutless at 8000'

As they say it's all a matter of timing.....take a timing light w/ you! :coffeedrink: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

I always carry a timing light on long trips, haha. Something like this was just a quick day trip, we only spent a few hours up there so I didnt feel like pulling over haha. It has definitely helped in the past, but there's only so much that cranking up or back the timing can do. If it's running rich, it's running rich. I can get rid of my pinging at sea level real easy, just dial back a few degrees, but i still lose a ton of power at elevation even when i crank it up.

Like I said, at 9000 feet it was purring like a kitten, just no oomph!

I've been known to hook up a timing light on the side of the road....and I get crap for it all the time from friends with fancy modern jeeps, haha
timing.jpg

Last edited:

Bubblegoose1

@PNWINFERNOPRO
I'm sorry if he rustled your jimmies...I figured he was just making familiar conversation with me because we know each other from JF too...I'm sure he meant no offense.... from your avatar/signature it looks like you have a very nice very built JK. Your super charger alone is probably worth more than my humble old unreliable jeep.

Just doin' what I can with what I've got....
I meant no harm with the "unreliable,..." comments. Was more about showing how ridiculous blanket statements are. Enjoy your rig :beer:

cmcclean

willys2.jpgwillys.jpgwillys1.jpg

This is my fun 4x4 I allways wanted something I didn't have to drive to work in on Monday and I finally built it.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
I meant no harm with the "unreliable,..." comments. Was more about showing how ridiculous blanket statements are. Enjoy your rig :beer:

I know. and dont worry, I'm not one to take offense to things said on teh interwebz. Like I said, I'm doin' what I can with what I got.

And don't you worry, I do enjoy it, and will continue to!

cmcclean

Dr. Marneaus,
I like to think I gave it enough of a blood sacrafice when putting it together that it hasn't required one on the trail yet. :wings:
I hope I didn't just jinx myself...

Mbogo

Observer

Now that I read my comment in that context, I see it was a douchey thing to write. I meant no distrespect. The JK is an excellent platform to build an expo rig, arguably the best platform. However, I was just remarking that people who decide to try to work with an FSJ, Commando, Willys Utility, or flatfender are a special breed. It's a kind of madness really (especially the folks who build a flatfender for expo travel AND drive it daily). And if I had a lick of sense, I would save my pennies for a JK, but I have this madness thing. Unfortunately, I don't have the skill that the good Dr. and others on this forum possess...YET! Yes, if I had a JK, I would be doing a heck of a lot more wheeling and less wrenching, but I've always been a person who enjoys the process more than the product. Maybe that's what I find so cool about expo travel; it's the journey, not just the destination that gets my juices flowing. And hopefully, I will learn something along the way. And in some small way, that lesson might make me a better person. A while back I dropped the T-case xmember on my J-truck and found a 70s vintage beer bottle cap in the frame. So that's what that weird rattling sound was. I figure it was put there by a wiseguy AMC assembly plant worker. Remember disgruntled auto workers? Remember auto workers? Robots don't get disgruntled. That bottle cap was like an artist signing his work or a master rug maker purposely dropping a stitch so his Persian rug is not perfect. I love stuff like that! It's human. It's history. It's why I mess with AMC/Kaiser junk that will never be worth even close to what I put into it. I know, madness...

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
I've had people poke fun at the 6" fenders... They said the Jeep looked like the flying nun. They are perfect for standing on as well as climbing onto the roof!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke