Post Pic's of your Jeep

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Over the weekend, I took the ZJ down to opening weekend at Watkins Glen and used it for some non-expo things:

20160416_WGI_GR15_7108.jpg

comptiger5000

Adventurer
5.9 ZJ ******! :wings:

I also dropped some new cylinder heads on it the day before I took it down there. Valve guides in my old heads were getting pretty worn and these flow better than the previous heads (which were already better than stock). It's definitely got some kick to it. I've never had the thing notably put me in the seat all the way through 2nd (up to 90) until now :smiley_drive: And it's only going to get better once I get the new throttle body on it (current one is way too small and costing a decent bit of power) :victory:

Mitch502

Explorer
I also dropped some new cylinder heads on it the day before I took it down there. Valve guides in my old heads were getting pretty worn and these flow better than the previous heads (which were already better than stock). It's definitely got some kick to it. I've never had the thing notably put me in the seat all the way through 2nd (up to 90) until now :smiley_drive: And it's only going to get better once I get the new throttle body on it (current one is way too small and costing a decent bit of power) :victory:

Any suggestions for simple power gains for me? The 5.9L has a lot of "builds" out there, but not a lot of people just doing minor mods...It's usually people doing heads + superchargers/etc...might be because that's the only way to get a decent amount of additional power?

comptiger5000

Adventurer
Any suggestions for simple power gains for me? The 5.9L has a lot of "builds" out there, but not a lot of people just doing minor mods...It's usually people doing heads + superchargers/etc...might be because that's the only way to get a decent amount of additional power?

How minor are we talking? Based on a few people's dyno testing, 1.7 roller rockers, headers, a good exhaust, bigger throttle body, M1 intake manifold and a tune will get you around 300hp at the crank. The stock intake manifold and exhaust downstream of the manifolds both flow pretty terribly, so taking care of those is worth a reasonable gain without going crazy. Unfortunately, getting much more than 300hp out of it is tough with the mediocre stock heads and the tiny stock cam.

Mitch502

Explorer
I would call that stuff minor...stuff I can do in a day without tearing the engine down...where can I find more details on the M1 intake manifold/TB?

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I would call that stuff minor...stuff I can do in a day without tearing the engine down...where can I find more details on the M1 intake manifold/TB?

For the throttle bodies, there's a guy who sells 52mm ported ones (stock is 50 necked down to 48 below the plates) on ebay for $150-ish. For the M1, they're getting a bit tougher to find, as they're now discontinued. Personally, I'm running the Hughes Airgap intake manifold, as I didn't feel like waiting to hunt down an M1.

If your metric is stuff you can do in a day with the motor in the Jeep, heads aren't actually too far off. It's a solid weekend job, no need to pull the motor. By the time you get that far in, you definitely need to start tuning though.

Mitch502

Explorer
Yea, and that is when the $$$ really goes up...that's also the kicker for me...I can justify a couple hundred here or there for things. But I can't justify $1200ish for heads or more...not for a Jeep where power isn't really needed.

thanks for the information!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94