Post Pic's of your Jeep

RockyMtn303

IMG_4671_zps457c7129.jpeg

Acerwin

Adventurer
Hi I was wondering if you liked the AEV lift? I'm stuck between which type of lift to get I'm wanting to be able to run 35's to 37's but I'm wanting to keep the stock like feel while driving. I heard rock krawler was good to but I don't know that much about either one to be honest but if I did go with AEV I think I might go with the 4.5" lift so if you have any info to lead me the right/ best direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Andrew

LPIII

Observer
AEV 4.5 is a bit of overkill the 3.5 is better than stock at everything and very progressive, it lends itself very well to high speed turns and low speed rock gardens alike. Full disclosure I am an AEV new car dealer and I am not selling anything just sharing so feedback.

Acerwin

Adventurer
AEV 4.5 is a bit of overkill the 3.5 is better than stock at everything and very progressive, it lends itself very well to high speed turns and low speed rock gardens alike. Full disclosure I am an AEV new car dealer and I am not selling anything just sharing so feedback.
Thanks I'm new to this jk stuff but not jeeps I've heard good things about AEV and I've heard bad. So what's some things I can add to the AEV kit to have it offroadish? Like the control arms I've seen some people add RK arms and other things just to add more strength and more clearance since AEV has the drop brackets.

Acerwin

Adventurer
Does anyone have experience with the teraflex 4" suspension lift/ long arm lift? Does it handle great on the road, is it worth the money? It's for a 2014 jeep jk 4 door?

griffman

Thanks I'm new to this jk stuff but not jeeps I've heard good things about AEV and I've heard bad. So what's some things I can add to the AEV kit to have it offroadish? Like the control arms I've seen some people add RK arms and other things just to add more strength and more clearance since AEV has the drop brackets.
I have the AEV 2.5 lift. It handles really well on the road and off. Im running 35s and do have some rubbing while flexing with sway bars disconnected. The drop brackets are pretty beefy, I had someone install the lift and at first I just thought it was part of the frame. In the future I am going to replace fenders to a poison spider or the like so that will solve the rubbing.

Old pic trying out tapatalk Yeah I got the Mopar music stand...

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401237390947.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401237390947.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 83

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
ACERWIN,

I have the AEV 4.5 with 37s and love it never had any issues off road and I don't see a need to swap any part of the lift to make it better.

image.jpg

wADVr

Adventurer
Here's a couple pictures of my JKU and one of my XJ. Got my spring snow wheelin fix in and now ready for summer exploration.
Btw JKU has AEV 3.5" and am very happy with its performance. I daily drive it as well as take longer trips to Montana and I find it works very well for everything. On trail it is smooth and articulates well. Might get more flex with a set of flex jointed arms but I like the current balance. Though those metal cloak arms look like a good deal. I would not recommend the 4.5" as I run 37" with very minimal rubbing only on the flares when fully articulated, it will squeak from the tire just touching the plastic but that's it. I would not want it any taller than it already is, 2.5" with a little work to get the high steer and other benefits from the 3.5" lift would be more my speed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 63

UnlimiDozer

Observer
Hi I was wondering if you liked the AEV lift? I'm stuck between which type of lift to get I'm wanting to be able to run 35's to 37's but I'm wanting to keep the stock like feel while driving. I heard rock krawler was good to but I don't know that much about either one to be honest but if I did go with AEV I think I might go with the 4.5" lift so if you have any info to lead me the right/ best direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

With respect to the input others have given, I would not recommend the AEV 3.5" with 37s unless you are comfortable with doing some fairly significant sheet metal trimming. Actual size varies by manufacturer and tire model, but a true-to-size 37 (as the MTR/K) would not have fit my JKU with an AEV 3.5" lift.

With the AEV 4.5" and OEM fenders I had rubbing issues at full stuff (rear only). The tire made contact with the forward pinch seam, as well as the plastic of the inner fender and the lip of the outer fender. Again, this is with the 4.5", not the 3.5". It could only get worse with an inch less lift (although, the addition of adjustable control arms could solve at least some of those issues. I know Rebel Offroad used a Rock Krawler long arm suspension -- I believe 4" -- on their "Agent Orange" build and did not have to trim the pinch seam). I have since trimmed the pinch seam (which, as I now recall, I believe, is done from the factory on '13 up, so you may be OK there) and installed Poison Spyder Customs aluminum fenders (no inners). Problem solved.

AEV's recommendation is 3.5" for 35s max, and 4.5" for 37s. Now, that said, in a phone conversation with one of their tech reps, he said that their SEMA rigs run 37s on a 3.5", but they did take the necessary additional steps to prevent rubbing (bumps for the 4.5" kit, and trimming, I believe). And in my case, I suspect that with the PSC fenders 3.5" would have been enough, after the pinch seam trim. But if you're staying with stock fenders, IMO, you COULD be heading for trouble trying to stuff 37s in a 3.5" lift.

To your original question, I love the AEV lift (although I'm not a "fanboy" - I realize that intended purpose matters and specialized suspensions must target their specialty, so no one suspension is "the best!"). One caveat here, is that being an expedition suspension, the AEV performs better with weight on it. Installed with factory bumpers, a soft top, no cargo, and an OEM spare, I felt the ride was harsh, but very stable once I got the tire pressure correct and the front end aligned correctly. Now with plate steel bumpers, full-size spare, a winch, roll cage, and 300-400# of tools/cargo, even pulling my M101A2 trailer with steel shell, it is uber-smooth. I wheeled Steel Bender and Fins and Things in Moab on this setup last October (no trailer) and it handled the trails with nary a complaint. I also drove it the 2000 mile round trip (pulling the trailer) and was very pleased with the road manners on such a long trip. It's not my old Denali on the road, but then the Denali wouldn't have done too well on Steel Bender either, lol.

I'm not about to tell you that some other suspension won't perform as well because I don't have experience with them. What I can tell you is that in an expedition type application, the AEV is in its element. It has exceptional road manners and can handle some pretty demanding terrain without a whimper. In my opinion, it really does live up to their claims of OEM-level engineering, R&D, and even better quality. Just my .02.

Regards,

Scott

P.S. Here's a pic of mine:

Last edited:

Octotat

Observer
Florida Trip

A recent paddleboard camping trip to Florida

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 58