IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
hill bill e -

any damage from the spill? how do you like the rocker guards and fenders?

The flop wasn't bad, I was climbing a ledge, and had no forward momentum.

Just cracked the rear sidemarker, and bent the driver mirror arm.

And bent the front fender a bit. Notice the fender isn't wrinkled in the first few pics? That was on the way up Moab Rim. Flopped it on the way back out.

I love the sliders and fenders, built them myself.

The sliders are main hoops from CJ roll bars, really beefy, and my 6 point cage ties into them.

The fenders I fabbed up from a set of rusted CJ fenders and some flat stock.

trust

Adventurer
1976 jeep went from a partially boxed, parallel C channel frame to a double C channel that was welded along it's length to form a box. it also splayed out after the rear spring hanger for the front springs. Unfortunately the C channels weren't always very well welded and the Cs can separate. I know less than nothing about YJs

pics might e attached, the lake pic mine is on the right and you can see the fridge, it's on top of a full length tool drawer, the last one (muddy) might show betterdisregard the blue thing, that was trail trash

trust

Adventurer
ok, once again the pics didn't work, I guess they are to big sorry

nyway, I have a homemade full length drawer in the scrambler and I tie down everything to it essentially

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I think my new dream jeep is a CJ7 with 35s and dana 60s, and for power I dream of a 327 with a 700R4 and an Atlas II with 4.0:1 low range, then a full roll cage with suspension seats and four point harnesses. It would be a Moab and Rubicon vacation mobile more than an expedition build but it would still be really cool. Like I say, its just a wild recurring day dream day dream I've been having. I think I'd go with a satin maroon color and a black hard top and chrome wheels too, style is everything after all!

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Just to kick some ideas for builds around.

I'm planning on tearing into the YJ this winter. The plan is 4.0/AW4/241(2.72:1); ~63" HPD44 front, ~61" 9" rear, 265/75-16 and Soft 8s the same as on the XJ (5 on 5.5" bolt pattern); TNT or Gen-Right long arms, XJ rear leaves; some kind of "blitz" urban 'flage paint scheme in forest colours.

Now to find a tub... and a good transmission and settle on the lift. I've got enough of the rest of the crap lying around to cobble together a drivable vehicle. I'll worry about regearing and lockers after the paint. Likely will do ARBs and 4.56s again.

I'm building it for local day trips with my little boys; beating around on the local wheeling trails, that kind of thing. I could see me and my wife throwing some packs in the back and going off for extended long range camping/touring trips in this machine also. My wife loves primitive camping... well, any camping really. All our friends call her "camping Karin". LOL

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Some pics of my old Scrambler.

Scrambler-1.JPG

Scrambler-2.JPG

There's lots of stuff I hated on this Jeep. I didn't build it. I could go one for hours. I thought it was easier to sell than to restomod. Two small kids and no time to work on it while living on a single income was making pressure to do something with it monetary. In retrospect I should have kept it because the body on it was great and it wasn't worth a lot to sell it. Oh well.

I've been thinking about the frame thing. Spidey-sense is telling me they started to plate/box the front of the frame starting around 1980 or so. Anyone else remember something about that? I'm too lazy to research and confirm.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
This sounds right to me, '76 is the first year for the CJ7, then some other minor changes in '80 (rollbar, heater, ductwork)

1976 jeep went from a partially boxed, parallel C channel frame to a double C channel that was welded along it's length to form a box. it also splayed out after the rear spring hanger for the front springs. Unfortunately the C channels weren't always very well welded and the Cs can separate. I know less than nothing about YJs

halpeters

This is my camping setup....

If you have a CJ, and you don't take out the back seat, plan on using a trailer, if you do take out the back seat, don't plan on taking much stuff!!!

The Jeep is a 1978 CJ-7, with a 304 and 3 speed. The trailer is an Army M416 with military rims and tires. It tows great on trails, and tracks great down the road.

Hal

Attachments

• IMG_3948-upload.jpg
    IMG_3948-upload.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 52

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Nice CJ Hal!!

I agree, I have an M416 w/RTT I drag along behind the CJ.

Even with the back seat out, the CJ is full of tools, fluids, and spare parts.

If I'm just going for a day trip or to the cabin, it's no big deal. But if I'm going for a weekend or longer, I need the trailer.

My buddy Paul drives his TJ to Moab every year, loaded with enough stuff for 10-12 days:Wow1:

granted he packs light (lots of back packing gear) and he's running solo, but still, I couldn't do it.

I like my comfort:coffeedrink:

Have to have my nice chair, grill, stove. And the RTT has me spoiled, I don't like sleeping on the ground anymore!:sombrero:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Hello all,

1984 CJ-7. tan
Great off-road, still with super low COG. Entirely street legal.
It has 149,000 miles on the 4.2 I6, 5-speed, D-300 t-case
Three inches SUA lift
5 33x11.50 tires
Enough room to run 36's
Full Hard top, and full hard doors
Full Soft top with two-piece soft doors (Bestop)
Bikini top x2 (one strapless one old-school)
Windjammer
Duster deck cover
The inside of the entire tub is coated in bed liner.
Poison Spyder Front Tube fenders, these things are strong and I love them, lots of room to stuff the tires. TJ Rear flares, again, lots of room to stuff the tires.

The Axles are
Dana 30 Front with 4.10 gears and a Detroit. Brand New Warn hubs (thanks to breaking one at EJS this year so replaced both). Axle Reconditioned in 2004
Dana 44 rear 4.10 gears ARB with ARB compressor, reconditioned in 2004

Engine is a out of an 89 yj

Traditional rust on the windshield, but not horrible. Some rust on the tub under the doors.

Just a few photos for you. Just found this rock in the OHV area behind my house, about a four foot vertical face, the jeep had no problems going right up this thing!

Oh, and yeah, it's for sale.
Cheers,

Brian

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFtrpoEyvgg"]YouTube- Moab Jeep CJ 7 Easter Jeep Safari[/ame]
IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4165.jpg

IMG_8702.jpg

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9285.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

IMG_8564.jpg

Picture026.jpg

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_19692.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I think that a VW TDI would be a bit small for a CJ... great motors no doubt, but just a little short on displacement and power for a loaded Jeep. Suzuki's are a different story, but then they're quite a bit lighter eh. I also 100% agree with RootMoose: Stay away from GM's diesel's. Untill the Duramax came out they were just plain horrible motors. There's a beautiful Desert Tan CJ? running a Cummins 4bt wich is a vastly superior motor then the GM diesel's IMO. IF you want a bigger mtoor then that then just go to the 6bt as a Cummins is the best diesel maker out there for heavy trucks IMO.

however that's all just my oppinion and I'm admitedly very much a "GM hater"... Always have been always will be.

I think a CJ8 or even a 6 would be best for Overland travel. Not that CJ5's or 7's aren't great rigs, but I prefer a little more W/B and cargo capacity. If you're not stuck on a CJ then the LJ (or "unlimited" / Long W/B TJ) is just plain fantastic IMO. Throw in a Jeep CRD or VM motori Diesel and you've got one hell of an all around capable rig from rocks to long trips that sewt-up could do just about anything.

I love that YJ with the CJ front clip. I've always hated the square lights on the YJ, but they are very hard to beat for the money... Add a CJ front clip and you've got another great jeep. I guess in some other markets there was even a LWB YJ :drool: Can you tell I like LWB Jeeps alot??? HAHAHAHAHA

Cheers

DAve

Booner

Observer
My CJ5 is currently torn down to replace the frame with a new one from Throttle Down Customs. Along with the new frame, a new BDS 2.5" suspension with shocks, power steering, and new 15 x 10 Rock Crawler wheels with 33-12.50s. Should be up and running for fall leaf peeping with the top off :sombrero:.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior