Post 08 I-Beam/control arm upgrade

TRB

So I have a 2001 Ford E450 with the 7.3. It currently has the pre-2008 I-Beam and control arm configuration. I have heard of folks upgraded a pre-2008 front suspension to the newer configuration for the bigger brakes, anyone have any experiencewith that? How hard/how much modification required? Any input or experience is appreciated.

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, couldn't find a thread for it.

WVI

Adventurer
I'm not sure much was changed. Maybe the anti-sway attachment on the E450.
I upgraded my E350 '07 to '+08 front brakes. I found most of the parts needed on ebay. Everything bolted fright on.

Reactions: TRB

TRB

I'm not sure much was changed. Maybe the anti-sway attachment on the E450.
I upgraded my E350 '07 to '+08 front brakes. I found most of the parts needed on ebay. Everything bolted fright on.
Great, thanks for the response. That is exactly what I was hoping to hear

TRB

Will that be something I'll have to swap out as well if I want to use yhe post 08 brakes as well?

WVI

Adventurer
If I recall correctly, I just used the originals. I may have had to secure the cable elsewhere.
I get much info over on the Ford Truck Enthusiast site. There's a Van section and a couple right ups and much help offered.. I don't think the 350 is any different than the 450 except maybe the rotors if it's a dually.

TRB

Nice ill definitely have to take a look. Has anyone put an on board air compressor on their rig for anything like air springs? I have a set of airbags front and back and the proprietary air compressor from the company that makes the airbags seems overpriced. Wondering if there's any reason I couldn't just use an air compressor built for automotive applications and have it tie in all 4 air bags.

PhillySMB

I swapped my 98 e250 front suspension/brakes to a 2012 setup. Totally bolt-on. Pretty sure I reused the ABS sensors. Needed longer brake lines. If you are near a shop that does van 4x4 conversions check with them as they usually have full take-offs. I got mine from Quigley back in 2012 for like $325 for almost all the parts, brand-new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsmith

What all comes with the take-offs? Just contacted Quigley and they have some available. Most of my suspension is PA rusted. I am nearby and use to work right near Quigley.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles