Possible Simpson Desert Crossing

Enrbee

Just putting this out there to see whether there is any interest...
Would love to do a Simpson Desert Crossing in our Mitsubishi Canter FG434, having done it in a Landcruiser in 2014. Being a heavy vehicle though, we would prefer to do it in company with at least one other suitably prepared similar sized vehicle.
At this stage our window of opportunity is from end of April till end of May, 2017.

Would be interested in hearing from anyone interested in accompanying us.

Cheers,
Neil n Di

MCRFB

IMG_1210.jpgEnrbee, what time allowance to complete the trip? I'm on Redhead beach atm. Might have to practice on the dunes here!
Camped overnight and were strafed by a low flying bogan in a forbie V8 at 12.30 am deciding to do some dune grooming. Not, happy, you know the rest.
Notice our friends calling card in photo. Stupid photos upside down. Nurse.....

hmmar

Observer
well, nice sharing image you had here :D MCRFB! I like it I see it tilt of my tablet then see of you sharing beautiful image. That's a really good here.
I had enjoyed Desert Crossing in my Dubai tour time with my some mates. so sure I will visit white sand desert soon. Have you any idea about White Sands National Monument or Desert?

Enrbee

We are flexible with regards to time frame but probably 4-7 days. Our main constraint unfortunately is that we need to be on the west coast by 1st of June.

Bris31

Adventurer
We are flexible with regards to time frame but probably 4-7 days. Our main constraint unfortunately is that we need to be on the west coast by 1st of June.

We are 4 Canters planning to cross Simpson this year starting from Brisbane on 6th May. Plan is to reach Birdsville in 3-4 days and then cross Simpson in 5 -7 days - i.e. Birdsville, poeppel corner, WAA line, back to French Line, Dalhousie Springs, Mt Dare. From there still deciding to come back via Oodnadatta, Marree, then Birdsville or Innamincka.

You are welcome to join if this suits your timetable and route. Send me PM if you want to be put on email.

Cheers
Brij

PS: All canters in our group are 4.5 - 6 Ton (FG649) only.

Last edited:

LTT70

Hi Brij, We are doing the Simpson as well this year, but sadly not until July.... I have a FG84 LWB, I was just trying to work out how much fuel we would need... What sort of consumption do you think you will be getting in the desert, and how much fuel will you be taking?

Cheers, Adam

Bris31

Adventurer
Hi Adam, I was in the same group as Dan's (AussieIron) but went only one way from Birdsville to Mt Dare (QAA, Poepple Cnr, Knoll Track, WAA line, Lone gum tree, Rig road, Purni Bore, Dalhousie Springs). Dan & Henny in their canters returned via Madigan Line to Birdsville.

Fuel consumption - from Birdsville to Mt Dare I consumed 119 liters for about 650km that we did (emptied 2 jerries on the way and then topped with 79 liters at Mt Dare). It equates to surprisingly 18.31 liters/100 km considering we were 4wd low most of the time. Maybe I am traveling light (my vanglass box shell is about 280kg only). Before leaving Brisbane I scaled the truck at 4400kg fully loaded (i.e. 125 liters stock tank, 2 jerries, 180 liters water, one spare, one tyre only, some tools, 2ppl, month food/fruit, etc. I filled another 2 jerries at Birdsville).

In our group there was also a 6 ton NPS300 Isuzu LWB (2010) and I believe they burned 160 liters for that distance (25lit/100km). Really can't tell about your FG84 LWB consumption but this Isuzu will be a good guess (but take extra just in case).

Hope this will help.
Cheers
Brij

Bris31

Adventurer
Hi Brij, We are doing the Simpson as well this year, but sadly not until July.... I have a FG84 LWB, I was just trying to work out how much fuel we would need... What sort of consumption do you think you will be getting in the desert, and how much fuel will you be taking?

Cheers, Adam

Hi Adam, how did you go with your this trip? Photos would be great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste