Possible parts rig... opinions?

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
Hey y’all,

I have located a 1995 SR that is for sale locally. It is running, but has significant body damage and overall cosmetically totaled. I am obviously considering the purchase to rob the axles and related locker equipment.

My question is twofold.

What is a fair price range for an operable SR. (Useable drivetrain and only some interior/exterior components)
Depending on the condition, is there anybody around southwest Colorado interested in parts that could benefit from the rest of the carcass?

Lastly, I have done some basic research but have nor found any conclusive answer. Has anybody swapped a 3.0 for a 3.5? Both rigs are the same year, non OBDII.

FYI, my rig is a 1995 LS, in excellent condition, I just need more trail capable options.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sorry if I’m rehashing the same questions over, but times are changing along with values, interests, etc.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that you can buy front and rear complete axles usually for under $400 and an engine for under $200 if you pull it yourself from a salvage yard, so unless you can actually make double that including the time and headache involved in parting it out you may want to just wait for one in a local yard, that doesn't even take into account having the space to do it and perhaps a wife nagging you to get it out of her sight. Who knows, that exact rig may turn up in your local salvage yard and then you can just pull what you need and leave the rest.

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
All things I have taken into consideration.
My main dilemma is my location. I live in some of the prettiest country with some great off-road opportunities, but it is also about 5 hours from any metro area in any direction. I find that the small salvage yards around here have minimal inventory, usually beat up American made or cheap econo cars.
I would have to drive to Denver, Salt Lake City or Albuquerque to even hope of finding what I need. So, having a semi local vehicle come up for sale is looking like a good option.

We raise horses, so I have a bit of land to stash a junker when I'm not working on it. Who knows, I could just keep it around for back up parts.

Plumberjohn

Observer
Hey guys. I just went through the same desision process a couple weeks ago. I have an ‘03 Limited and it needs some love. I’m in Ontario, an hour north of Toronto. These aren’t very common here at all. I found an identical truck (4.5 hours away) and ended up pulling the trigger. Last time I looked for parts at any yard it was hard to find anything. I like that i now have parts right at the side of my house that I can take whenever. I paid the same price for the whole truck as I would have for just the Diff I need. No regrets. Plus it’s amusing having two! You have the room. Now you can have the parts!

Swift_45a

Observer
All things I have taken into consideration.
My main dilemma is my location. I live in some of the prettiest country with some great off-road opportunities, but it is also about 5 hours from any metro area in any direction. I find that the small salvage yards around here have minimal inventory, usually beat up American made or cheap econo cars.
I would have to drive to Denver, Salt Lake City or Albuquerque to even hope of finding what I need. So, having a semi local vehicle come up for sale is looking like a good option.

We raise horses, so I have a bit of land to stash a junker when I’m not working on it. Who knows, I could just keep it around for back up parts.

Agreed, CO (even Denver/Boulder/COS area) has low inventory on import parts in my experience. And even then they had been sitting out in the snow and harsh hot summers which make pulling the parts a curse. Rust is so bad out here.

I'd say if you have the space and don't mind sitting on the chassis until you completely gutted it, toss him $500-800 depending on the mileage and engine condition (will it need a rebuild?); I got rid of my 93 LS for $700.

Last edited:
be very very careful one parts rig, gets lonely, morphs into 2 and they have a family.....
my experience:
montero's
saab 99"s
recently 6.9 ldi ford diesels, word gets out and these rigs come running.

on the other hand a parts rig will save you thousands. very advisable to have at least 1

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
be very very careful one parts rig, gets lonely, morphs into 2 and they have a family.....
my experience:
montero's
saab 99"s
recently 6.9 ldi ford diesels, word gets out and these rigs come running.

on the other hand a parts rig will save you thousands. very advisable to have at least 1

I think I can keep it under control with one spare rig.
The seller is outta town until next week, so I have a few days to decide....and try to come up with some cash.

I'll keep y'all posted.

B.N.Z.MTNS

Elevation 8,500’
if it was around $500 id buy it right away, wouldnt pay more than like 700.

That's the range I have been thinking. But I may have my eye on another, better condition one a few hours from me. May change my plans all together.
We'll see...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles