Possible on a 2dr?

Eric_

What's up guys! So long story short I'm in the market for a 2 door jk, and I'm looking forward to making it into an overland rig. So, I know the 4 door would be the way to go. But unfortunately parking is VERY limited at home right now and I've found a lot of great deals on 2 doors which financially would be better for me.

It's only me and my GF.. I do have a dog, but she's crazy so I'm not sure if she'd be coming around much on our trips. I do plan on removing the rear seat permanently but I am a little concerned as far as space for packing gear. I'd love a 2 door overland jeep, Im not sure if anyone's done it? All I see are 4 doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HRPINDC

Adventurer
I've seen a few on the ole interwebs, but they're less common due to storage challenges. If it's just the two of you, I think you could do it if you pack light and use compact gear. You could even look into a roof rack to expand your storage options. If you're bringing the dog, I would say you'll have a tough time. I guess it really depends on the dog and the length of your trips. I suppose you could put much of your gear on a roof rack and the dog in the back. Wouldn't be my first choice though. Good luck!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Check out Goose Gear on Instagram. They are currently working on a plate system for the rear of a 2 door JK. Should be out shortly.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
More than capable of doing it in a 2dr. If I can do it in a little TJ then you should be fine. I would definitely look into a roof rack as one of your first purchases. Helps keep things less cluttered and opens up a whole new level of storage

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
I've been using a two-door JK for five years. Have made multiple trips with the little Jeep, and it does real well. Only recently did I get an overlanding style trailer for additional cargo capacity. Normally, I just use the Jeep without a trailer.

First thing I did was remove that back seat, it's only gone back inside the Jeep a few times over the past five years.

Consider a way to augment the 18 gallon fuel tank. I use a Morryde jerry-can mount for an additional 5 gallons. http://www.morryde.com/products/182...e?return=/product-category/9-jeep-accessories

Using a backpacking tent, a backpacking type stove, and that sort of gear makes it easy to fit everything needed into the two-door JK.

Probably the most important accessory I got for the Jeep, was a good ARB fridge! It's made life so much nicer!

Regards, Guy

Cascade Wanderer

Adventurer
Here's a few photos of my two-door, various adventures over the past few years:

Trip to Alaska last spring. The additional 5-gallons of fuel was comforting on some long, lonely stretches:
2Dw6WYBl.jpg

Top of the World highway:
xUHdQXYl.jpg

Little North Face backpacking tent provides plenty of room for two:
ecCbVMll.jpg

Winter trip, Central Washington. No ARB Fridge necessary on this outing!
WJuBDrgl.jpg

Stream crossing, with the Jackwagon trailer in tow, earlier this year:
wIfeLrJl.jpg

Sometimes it's an awful lot of fun to remove the roof & doors and just enjoy the Jeep for a while:
DVwEXeVl.jpg

Yes, you can have some terrific adventures with a 2-door Jeep. I deliberately didn't get a roof rack, so I'd keep the weight low. Same reason I'm only using a 1.5" suspension and 33" tires. Easy to do more, but I travel a lot of mountain roads, and I'd just as soon keep the weight fairly low, rather than building a tippy rig.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:

Mitch502

Explorer
I went from a ZJ to a TJ. I've only been on a couple trips in the ZJ before it was totaled, but I learned enough from those few trips that 90% of what I was taking I never used...Now I have a TJ, and plan for it to mostly be me and a 45lb dog...I don't see any reason why I'll struggle to fit everything I need...as mentioned, get a good drawer system, or make one, and if you're pressed for space, get a roof rack.

I plan to get a roof rack for 2 situations: 1-when I hunt/camp without offroading...that way I can take more "comfort gear" and not be top heavy. 2-extended trips or trips where my wife comes and brings her "necessities"

Good luck, and report back what you end up with/doing!

Eric_

I've been using a two-door JK for five years. Have made multiple trips with the little Jeep, and it does real well. Only recently did I get an overlanding style trailer for additional cargo capacity. Normally, I just use the Jeep without a trailer.

First thing I did was remove that back seat, it's only gone back inside the Jeep a few times over the past five years.

Consider a way to augment the 18 gallon fuel tank. I use a Morryde jerry-can mount for an additional 5 gallons. http://www.morryde.com/products/182...e?return=/product-category/9-jeep-accessories

Using a backpacking tent, a backpacking type stove, and that sort of gear makes it easy to fit everything needed into the two-door JK.

Probably the most important accessory I got for the Jeep, was a good ARB fridge! It's made life so much nicer!

Regards, Guy

Here's a few photos of my two-door, various adventures over the past few years:

Trip to Alaska last spring. The additional 5-gallons of fuel was comforting on some long, lonely stretches:
2Dw6WYBl.jpg

Top of the World highway:
xUHdQXYl.jpg

Little North Face backpacking tent provides plenty of room for two:
ecCbVMll.jpg

Winter trip, Central Washington. No ARB Fridge necessary on this outing!
WJuBDrgl.jpg

Stream crossing, with the Jackwagon trailer in tow, earlier this year:
wIfeLrJl.jpg

Sometimes it's an awful lot of fun to remove the roof & doors and just enjoy the Jeep for a while:
DVwEXeVl.jpg

Yes, you can have some terrific adventures with a 2-door Jeep. I deliberately didn't get a roof rack, so I'd keep the weight low. Same reason I'm only using a 1.5" suspension and 33" tires. Easy to do more, but I travel a lot of mountain roads, and I'd just as soon keep the weight fairly low, rather than building a tippy rig.

Regards, Guy

I went from a ZJ to a TJ. I've only been on a couple trips in the ZJ before it was totaled, but I learned enough from those few trips that 90% of what I was taking I never used...Now I have a TJ, and plan for it to mostly be me and a 45lb dog...I don't see any reason why I'll struggle to fit everything I need...as mentioned, get a good drawer system, or make one, and if you're pressed for space, get a roof rack.

I plan to get a roof rack for 2 situations: 1-when I hunt/camp without offroading...that way I can take more "comfort gear" and not be top heavy. 2-extended trips or trips where my wife comes and brings her "necessities"

Good luck, and report back what you end up with/doing!

wow very inspiring posts!! :wings: definetly got me extremely hyped, especially seeing all those pictures! I think if I took my dog and Gf, id build me a little trailer to stoe away things and do some lighter trails or if I went on extremely long expiditions (but I doubt they'd be longer than a week). I was also thinking of adding a cargo box up top, and keeping fairly light things up there. The shape of those things seems pretty aerodynamic, but id try my best to keep the weight off the top.

So I found a 2015, 2 door hard top sport for $26,975. 19k miles.. auto, power doors, 4x4, a/c, clean title and is a jeep certified vehicle too!
would you guys say thats a good deal? I assume after TTL fees id be close to $29k.. out the door what should I shoot for? $27k? I was thinking of using my own Finance company as well..

SoCal Tom

Explorer
You will want to use backpacking style gear for the most part. A Rubicon rack would add some space too, but it can work. I spent 5 days on the Rubicon with an early bronco, you will be fine.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justincredible

Adventurer
Enough people have shown that it's doable, so I will expand a little and say pick up a small trailer for the times when you do take your dog or if you take an extra person or 2 and have to put the back seat in.

Harbor freight even sells a small 40"x48" trailer for $230 if you're on a tight budget. It would be a good starting platform to build on.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
What's up guys! So long story short I'm in the market for a 2 door jk, and I'm looking forward to making it into an overland rig. So, I know the 4 door would be the way to go. But unfortunately parking is VERY limited at home right now and I've found a lot of great deals on 2 doors which financially would be better for me.

It's only me and my GF.. I do have a dog, but she's crazy so I'm not sure if she'd be coming around much on our trips. I do plan on removing the rear seat permanently but I am a little concerned as far as space for packing gear. I'd love a 2 door overland jeep, Im not sure if anyone's done it? All I see are 4 doors.

I have a 2 door with a dog and sometimes a random chick. Storage ain't easy, but doable. I run the Carrich’s storage box that attaches to the tailgate. I keep tools, compressor, etc. with more space for anything else I need. I took the rear seat out and sold it to a 4 door owner that wanted a 3rd row. My rear cargo area and the entire Jeep is puppy proofed for fur and mud or worse. I have Bartact seat covers, Canvasback cargo cover for floor and sides and then a cargo mat.

51d6dc92216dbbe483bc0ae41b7e0416.jpg

80d3c21b8a7ba53d5bed5706cdbe5879.jpg

0888cf9472400b1322b64ebe19b0dd2e.jpg

Last edited:

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Another thing I will probably add is either a roof rack or Teraflex Alta rack. When its just me and my dog I will be removing the front passenger seat for more storage.

Eric_

I have a 2 door with a dog and sometimes a random chick. Storage ain't easy, but doable. I run the Carrich’s storage box that attaches to the tailgate. I keep tools, compressor, etc. with more space for anything else I need. I took the rear seat out and sold it to a 4 door owner that wanted a 3rd row. My rear cargo area and the entire Jeep is puppy proofed for fur and mud or worse. I have Bartact seat covers, Canvasback cargo cover for floor and sides and then a cargo mat.

51d6dc92216dbbe483bc0ae41b7e0416.jpg

80d3c21b8a7ba53d5bed5706cdbe5879.jpg

0888cf9472400b1322b64ebe19b0dd2e.jpg

Nice man! I love the color of your jeep! All these post have been a huge inspiration. I appreciate all the feedback. 9/10 people on the taco forum were completely against the jeep. I love them but prices on those things are almost the same cost as a full size pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles