Possible cheap alternative "high angle" inner CV boots. 1st Gen Tacoma but probably will work for all gen.

roving1

I wound up getting too much lift from some OME shocks and 882 coils (after not getting enough from 881s :confused: ). The resulting CV angles were horrible. I was hoping the springs would sag some and the fact I have manual hubs would save me. Neither happened.

Maybe 200 miles of 4-lo use and one 150 mile run on a curvy road in KY in 2wd with hubs I forgot to unlock which probably had the inside CVs at crappy angles for every bend with body roll. One side wore through completely and the other had a groove worn. My before shot didn't work out but this rando not a first gen shot from the internet is what mine looked like.
IMG_3120~2.jpg

Kicking myself for not doing the boot slide mod on brand new Toyota re-man CVs which cost a lot but I figured I would see signs first before they let go. But that high speed drive really did them in quick.

So I thought I would give these universal boots a try. They are stepped to fit two different end sizes but because of that there is some extra spacing in the ribs right where it is needed. They are made to slide over the CV end partially in situ on the vehicle but the plastic tube isn't deep enough for the Tacoma CV. You could probably tape over the end if you wanted to do it that way. I put it on a bench since my sway bar link had gotten loose and wiped out a clamp on the outer end I needed to fix as well.
Screenshot_20210729-184306.png

Also bought some cheapo CV clamp pliers.

The tube still allowed me to keep the telescoping rollers assembled and packed full of grease. After I cut off the old boot I just shoved that end into the tube and slipped the new boot over.

In my case I have Toyota factory tri-lobe CV ends so when I cut the old inner boot off I kept the factory end of the boot that seals against this irregular part and then had to stretch the new boots over this to have a cylindrical round surface to seal against. My hands were way too greasy to get pics but if you google other high angle boot installations they require this adaptive step. If you just have aftermarket already cylindrical CV's you can slide the boot over as normal without needing to adapt.

After the small end of the boot naturally wants to be further down the shaft. So the static resting position where you will clamp these is basically in the "boot slide mod" position an inch or so more inboard.
PXL_20210724_220823014.jpg

At full droop they look much better and with adjustable Icons whatever happens between the two I should be able to adjust to a better ride height if I have to and not munch my CV boots nearly instantly.
PXL_20210727_223812873.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3120~2.jpg
    IMG_3120~2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

MTWheeler

Observer
Have you looked into getting a ”diff-drop” kit? I don’t much about them, but I have 881’s too and looking to upgrade to 882’s as well.

roving1

Have you looked into getting a ”diff-drop” kit? I don’t much about them, but I have 881’s too and looking to upgrade to 882’s as well.

Already had diff drops installed at the point this was written up but I guess I did not mention it in this post but I think I did in another.

The Icons wound up giving enough extra down travel I had to put in limiting straps otherwise the CVs started to bind at full droop.

I don't know if I just did not pound in the 882's long enough for them to break in or what. I wasn't really happy with the Icons either. The ride height was better but the damping went to crap in Baja and we are not talking high speed running either they foamed over in 1st and second gear low on some rough mountain passes. I did not have the remote reservoir version but still... the OME rears were still OK.

I hate IFS lol.

None of the saga of the front suspension of this was/is worth the hassle.

If I ever start another build from scratch it will be this or a solid axle swap or bone stock with uprated rear leafs and maybe front coil spacer or something to account for extra weight.

The hassle and cost for in between has not been worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles