possible brake noise

BRONZ

Guys

sorry about another novice question.

The other day I notice this grrrrrrrrrr noise when coming to a stop. The weriod thing is it only does it after the truck sits all night or all day.

I heard it the other day for the first time. Just a little bit at the first stop sign in my neighborhood and just a little when starting home from work. Only at the first or second stop.

This morning was worse.

I know rotors will form rust after setting for many days but not in hours.

Again it does it only when it is cold or hasn't been driven. After driving a few miles with a several stops it seems to go away.

njtaco

Explorer
Any chance the ABS is cycling? Pull the fuses and try one morning...

On my '03 Tacoma I feel the ABS is very subtle, compared to the other vehicles I'm used to.

Also, check your lug nuts...I know it sounds absurd...but check them with a torque wrench.

BRONZ

The abs wouldn't cycle at slow speed would it. It sounds and feels like the brakes grinding but goes away after the first few stops.

njtaco

Explorer
BRONZ said:
The abs wouldn't cycle at slow speed would it. It sounds and feels like the brakes grinding but goes away after the first few stops.

Whether it should cycle at slow speed or not- we are assuming by checking it that it is not working properly anyways.

Have you pulled the wheels yet? Check both sides of each rotor for pad thickness, not just the "close" side. Make sure the pad has not seperated, it is not always obvious. Check for a caliper hanging up on the pins. How many miles on the truck?

BRONZ

took off the wheels everything looked ok. A lot of meat on the pads. The rotor had a very small ridge.

will say how it goes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne