Possibilities for my F-150

PunchitChewie

First off I didn't see the usual meet and greet section, so hello to all. Basic background is here is what I'm thinking of doing with my 2017 F-150 Lariat (I know so fancy) SCAB LB 4x4. I have the max tow package (3.55 with e-lock), but don't want to really throw a trailer on behind my land yacht. So my initial plan is to next spring pack up my Boxer pup Chewie, and road trip my way up to Alaska from Washington. Then possibly head down through Mexico, and on into Central America. The last half of that will remain to be seen. My plan is mostly to use BLM and other free camping. So not going to be really any super aggressive off roading done with my pavement princes.
I have to wait until I get home to see if AT has a update on the habitat for a long bed truck (have to email my measurements to see if the "tunnel" will fit). Other than slightly bigger tires I was looking at Falcon shocks. Mostly because I'm weird, and don't like the leveled look. Have watched a couple videos reviewing the Falcons, and they seem like a good upgrade over stock. I was contemplating a progressive spring like from Deaver for the back. Just not sure I need custom springs since realistically at most I'd be doing forest service roads. Maybe some Firestone bags to help level out at camp.
I do plan on getting on the scale with me and my dog in the truck to see how much of the stickered 1,711lb payload I have available. Part of why I'm looking at the AT habitat instead of a FWC Grandby. Truck can handle the weight I'm sure, but if I decide to head south of the boarder I don't want to be stranded because I overloaded the truck (I know I'm such a girly man). So long story short thinking shocks, tires (at least an all terrain to replace stock rubber), AT habitat if it'll fit the 8ft bed, and possibly skids plates for the giggles, and on board air system (seen some diy setups). I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, so half way competent to be working on my truck.
So other than telling me to get a different truck, can you guys think of anything else to add/remove (like the back seat)? Aside from water, and recovery gear. I'm going to invest in a shovel, and some straps Water is going to depend on how much weight I have to mess with after I add in things like a fridge, and supporting 12v system.

Jay J

Sounds like it’ll be a sweet build. I love those AT Habitats, I hope that works out. If I didn’t already have a fiberglass cap, that’d be the direction I’d consider going.

I’m just starting on my own little build so no real advice to give. If your budget allows to upgrade shocks go for it. I personally think about a 4” lift and 35” tires is the sweet spot for modern half ton trucks, both for capability and aesthetics.

PunchitChewie

Thanks. I'm not sure I'll go with 35's. Have been reading on f150 forum how the 3.55's don't do so well with 35's on up. Either way I go I want a tire with good traction for the odd occasion I'd need something more aggressive than a highway tread.

ITTOG

Thanks. I'm not sure I'll go with 35's. Have been reading on f150 forum how the 3.55's don't do so well with 35's on up. Either way I go I want a tire with good traction for the odd occasion I'd need something more aggressive than a highway tread.
That is good to know. I have 18 f150 and was thinking about larger tires. Stock is 31.8 but when you have the weight of the truck on them they are only 31. I have been wondering if I could get 32's on it without a lift. I just haven't taken the time to investigate.

I have put quite a few miles on mine on forest service roads and can tell you that the stock suspension is very rough if there is much ock in the road. if it is just dirt then it isn't a problem. I don't know if shocks alone is enough. I have been wondering if different a arms with longer travel would be required as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jay J

I have a 17 Sierra 1500 with the 6.2 and 8 speed but 3.23 gears. It has had a 2.25” level on it since shortly after I bought it two years ago.

As soon as the winter weather starts to clear up and it’s time to pull the Blizzaks off I’ll be putting a new set of Method 18x9 and some 305/65 r18 (33.5x12) all terrains. I think that’s probably the largest I can fit and not have to worry about any rubbing after a little trimming is done in the fender well.

GM trucks don’t have a lot of room in the fender due to the square wheel wells. I think the fords are better.

PunchitChewie

That is good to know. I have 18 f150 and was thinking about larger tires. Stock is 31.8 but when you have the weight of the truck on them they are only 31. I have been wondering if I could get 32's on it without a lift. I just haven't taken the time to investigate.

I have put quite a few miles on mine on forest service roads and can tell you that the stock suspension is very rough if there is much ock in the road. if it is just dirt then it isn't a problem. I don't know if shocks alone is enough. I have been wondering if different a arms with longer travel would be required as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'm going off what I remember reading, but I think I remember stock Raptor 35's fit with just a leveling kit. Most people recommend UCA's when doing a 2-2.5" level. The tires I was looking at are around 32-33, I just need to convert the specs again to see what overall size they are 275/70R18. Have read they fit with no rubbing issues. Saw a review video for the falcon shocks where he noticed a difference over a stock 150, but I don't know if he was paid by the company or if he was truly independent.

PunchitChewie

I have a 17 Sierra 1500 with the 6.2 and 8 speed but 3.23 gears. It has had a 2.25” level on it since shortly after I bought it two years ago.

As soon as the winter weather starts to clear up and it’s time to pull the Blizzaks off I’ll be putting a new set of Method 18x9 and some 305/65 r18 (33.5x12) all terrains. I think that’s probably the largest I can fit and not have to worry about any rubbing after a little trimming is done in the fender well.

GM trucks don’t have a lot of room in the fender due to the square wheel wells. I think the fords are better.
I've got the 3.5 EcoBoost with the 10 speed, and have read of a few people having issues with that gear setup and larger tires. So before I go with bigger tires gonna just go up slightly first, roughly an inch taller.

Mfitz

I have a '15 F150 and I went with 275/75/17's on Raptor take-offs. The tires were almost 34 and they fit with just a 1"Bilstein level on the front. They might even fit w/o the 1", never tried it. I wouldn't go any bigger, personally. The nice thing is that you can fit the same size spare under the bed, so if you are traveling you can have a fully functional spare available for use. I do a 5 tire rotation so it didn't actually cost all that much extra to set up. When the current set gets worn out I'll just replace the 4 in use and keep the worn spare, rotate 4.

smlobx

Wanderer
Congrats on getting your truck weighed first. Given the trim level of your truck I think you may be in for a little surprise at what capacity you have left over for a camper.
Most Grandby’s re being put on 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. Even a Hawk might be overweight...

PunchitChewie

Congrats on getting your truck weighed first. Given the trim level of your truck I think you may be in for a little surprise at what capacity you have left over for a camper.
Most Grandby’s re being put on 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. Even a Hawk might be overweight...
Yeah I looked at them, and saw a lot of people running them on Tacoma's. However if it's long term I want to be within weight specs. I don't care to push my luck. I'd be the 1 guy who has the swiss cheese line up, and have an accident. Did kick the idea around of a used 250 and going with a Grandby.

danneskjold

I have a 2018 F150 (XL :ROFLMAO:) with Falcon shocks and a FWC Grandby and I am a huge fan.

I have 3.73 gears and a pay load package and I’m about 700 over - I plan on slimming it down a bit, but I’m more or less content with it as is.

Grassland

I'm going off what I remember reading, but I think I remember stock Raptor 35's fit with just a leveling kit. Most people recommend UCA's when doing a 2-2.5" level. The tires I was looking at are around 32-33, I just need to convert the specs again to see what overall size they are 275/70R18. Have read they fit with no rubbing issues. Saw a review video for the falcon shocks where he noticed a difference over a stock 150, but I don't know if he was paid by the company or if he was truly independent.

I have to look into Falcon for my 2014, but if I was building my truck again for a 2019 (Which i want to do) Id be going Falcons.
You can easily fit a 275/70R18, I don't know tons of sizes in 18s that fit, since i have 17s, but I run BFG KO2 34x10.5R17 with a 1.75" Level in the front. Plenty of room. These are about the same size as the 275/70R18 diameter wise. If you wheel gentle and stay under 2" you should be fine for some time on stock UCA. I think thats a pretty good choice for a tire size, as its somewhat common, and isnt crazy wide.
Id recommend a full length add a leaf, or a new leaf pack since you are going to have weight full time in the truck. Im not a fan of air bags personally, but thats me.

I second this.

Would you consider a regear? What rear differential do the 8' bed supercabs have? That payload is almost as light as mine. I ran mine at or over payload for about 4 years. It killed rear springs, and was hard on the brakes, but no major issues.

PunchitChewie

I second this.

Would you consider a regear? What rear differential do the 8' bed supercabs have? That payload is almost as light as mine. I ran mine at or over payload for about 4 years. It killed rear springs, and was hard on the brakes, but no major issues.

I have the max tow, and have read it's the same as the max payload. I just have lighter springs, and slightly thinner frame than max payload trucks. That's why I am thinking of going with the habitat since it's under 1,000 lbs.

PunchitChewie

What rear differential do the 8' bed supercabs have?

So it's not letting me edit my post here at work, so after looking it up I'm seeing that the 3.5 ecoboost comes with the 9.75 rear end. On a side note now that I can see your signautre. How do you like the RCI skids? I was looking at them, and go rhino raptor style steps. I don't know if I'd spend the extra money on the aluminum skids. Also to answer the question you asked. I'm not really thinking about a regear right now. That's why I'm only wanting to go up slightly in size with the tires. I mean I still have the front snow plow... air damn installed. Only mods I've done to my truck is disabling auto start stop, and getting the temperature in numbers for trans and coolant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles