portal axles

Ron B

Explorer
charlieaarons said:
My "Unimog Resources CD" gives a side angle rating of 35 degrees for the U500. That's with the pickup bed installed; I don't know whether it is with the bed loaded to a GVW of 26000 lb or not. They give a hill angle rating of only 38.66 degrees; obviously if has traction it has power to go up 90 degrees so that might be a continous no oil starvation rating.

Charlie

35 deg is very impressive for a truck that big. Being at 35+ deg brings the pucker!

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I've been on the dunes at Pismo with the pucker guage reading 40 degrees. Pucker yes...tipped....no. I was ready to put the truck into hyper-speed into the roll if it happened. Well Mog hyper-speed...8-10 mph. The rig does sway back and forth like a boat through the tipping. I only had a spare and a small crane for cargo. I wanted to check it in a somewhat "safe" environment. They will do higher side loads than you'd think. Charlie could really tell you about high bed load and capabilities.
Chas

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Old thread but I am going to bump it....

I have a set of G3 Portal-Tek axles under my 83 Nissan Patrol. I bought the axles in late 2007. Portal-Tek went belly up in early 2010 not long after introducing the Super 14.

Torq Axle in SLC, Utah has bought the rights, designs and all that jazz from Portal-Tek. It is looking like they will be putting the Super 14 back into production in early 2012. I don't know if they will be producing the G3s, however I think that is their plan. They will be supporting past purchasers of the Portal-Teks which makes me happy!

I have RCV CV axles in the front steering axle under my Patrol. This is a very nice axle with a 45 degree turning radius. I have had next to no issues with my axles and if you want the best ground clearance out there plus extremely strong axles, the G3s and Super 14s are going to be very hard to beat. Not to mention you can order them at any specs since they are not an old axle built for a military truck. That means off set, axle tube size, axle grade (4340 or 300m), width, gear set and more can be had since these are built to order.

A very nice product and I for one am stoked Torq will be moving forward with this.

cheers

762X39

Explorer
I still don't understand why somebody hasn't built an IFS portal kit (based on the HMMWV design) for a Tacoma. I would MUCH RATHER have that than SAS.
Part of the reason no one has tried to use the HMMWV portals may be because the disc brakes are inboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles