portal axles

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's an introduction to portal axles I posted at www.expeditioncampers.com

Chip Haven

-----------

Portal axles provide a lot of ground clearance without a big modification to the stock suspension. This also keeps the vehicle's center of gravity lower than it would be if using a conventional approach (big tires, big body lift) to achieve the same clearance.

Portal axles increase a vehicle's ground clearance by changing the location where the drive axle connects to the wheel. Sitting on level ground, a standard axle extends straight from the differential to the center of the wheel. A portal axle, in contrast, extends straight from the differential to a point near the top of the wheel. A gear case extends down to the hub of the wheel, where it is attached.

Here's an example:

GalleryImage_017.jpg

The portal axle adds an extra 6 to 8 inches of ground clearance without making any other modifications to the vehicle. Combine a portal axle with other modifications like taller tires (and suspension changes so the taller tires will fit) and you add as much as 15 inches to the stock ground clearance.

GalleryImage_026.jpg

These images are from Portal-Tek, a new company manufacturing custom axles for a wide range of vehicles. See www.portal-tek.com for more information.

Several manufacturers of military vehicles employ portal axles. Best known are Unimog, Pinzgauer, and AM General's HMMWV.

Volvo built a millitary vehicle called the C303 in the 1970's and 1980's. Axles from C303s happen to be the right length to fit Land Rover Defenders and Toyota Land Cruisers. Here's a photo of a Cruiser with C303 axles and a 2 inch OME suspension lift:

normal_Evarts040106_61.jpg

The result: 17 inches of clearance under the front differential! This lets you glide over obstacles that others have to work hard to surmount.

Bays_111905_05.jpg

You can see more photos of the build-up of this vehicle at
http://tired-iron.mounet.com/Grace4x4/GRBTLC/default.htm

Let's see...portal axles, a central tire inflation system, hydraulic steering at both ends..it's an extreme rock crawler for overland use!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
conversion costs

The fellow who modified the Volvo C303 axles to work on his 80 series Cruiser posted recently that he can provide a similar set for $4,000. That's before the modifications needed to make them work with the Cruiser. Upgrading the brakes to more powerful discs costs around $1500 per axle. The tires are 38.5" Interco TSL Boggers, 4 for $900. Add OME 2" Heavy springs and shocks, $800.

So for a mere $8700 plus several days labor, you can have a portal axle Cruiser, too.

The result, however, is stunning: 17" of ground clearance under the front axle, and 41 degree approach angle.

TLC_112.jpg

photoleif

Observer
that is awesome! given that mogs are tough beasts, the answer this question may be obvious.... but are these as strong as regular axles? that's a lot of weight on a gearcase. and yeah i know that good hyploid oil is rated in the tens of thousands of psi, but still...

S

Scenic WonderRunner

SO.........!

Can I get those to fit on a 1st Generation 4Runner.....?!!!!:ylsmoke:

....and who would like to install them for all the beer you can drink in two days!........:wavey: ..........:elkgrin:

.....um....maybe the beer should come after!:rolleyes:

I call those......."pucker factor eliminators"............!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

My 1988 Toyota 4Runner...........is IFS................

I'm DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..............LOL:rolleyes: .......:elkgrin: ...........:wavey:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Hardcore offroaders mount these things up under all kinds of shiat all the time. To them putting them in your Yota would be easy. But that's them. Hunt around Pirate4x4.com.

haven

Expedition Leader
Portal Tek

Portal Tek is a company in Salt Lake City that specializes in portal axles. Here's a photo of a rear-steer axle they built for a rock buggy:

portal-tek-rear-steer.jpg

This illustrates how the axle connects to the top of a gear-reduction box, rather than directly to the wheel hub.

Portal Tek axle sets add 4.5 inches of ground clearance without modification to the stock suspension. If you want to run larger than stock tires, a relatively small suspension lift of two or three inches will add enough clearance for most tires.

The Portal Tek web site is http://www.portal-tek.com

Chip Haven

boblynch

Adventurer
I know nothing about portals other than they are used on Mogs and offer great clearance with little lift. Pardon the novice questions.

Would portals be a good fit for long term overland trips? What are the down sides (higher CG, poor highway ride, less reliable, max speed limits, hard to find parts, etc.)? What type of rigs would the portal-tex parts fit on? Would they work on a larger rig (e.g., Fuso-based or Earthroamer-type camper)?

haven

Expedition Leader
Weird story -- Portal Tek took the guy's money, kept the truck for months, and didn't install the axles. Last post is in Spring 2007. I wonder how the story ends?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94