Portable vs Fixed Roof mount Solar panels

java

Expedition Leader
Going back and fourth with my new build.... Id like some thoughts from other users.

I have 2 100W panels on the roof on my last truck.
Pros:
Always there and charging.

Cons:
Hole in the roof
Get dirty
Not ideal angle.

Portable:
Pros:
Easy to clean
Correct angle
No roof hole

Cons:
Have to set up
Have to store
Not always charging (even if its just a little because its flat/dirty)

My new truck does not have a ladder to the roof. I dont know that I want to add one either (roof is very thin skinned). But I also dont have a ton of storage space for panels. If I was to do roof mount it would likely be the thin stick on type.

Thoughts? Ill take anyone's 2c.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
To propose another option I have seen - why not a mix both both fixed and portable? The advantage of this setup is if you wish to park in the shade on a hot sunny day you can deploy the portable units to collect energy and still keep the camper temps in a comfortable range.

java

Expedition Leader
To propose another option I have seen - why not a mix both both fixed and portable? The advantage of this setup is if you wish to park in the shade on a hot sunny day you can deploy the portable units to collect energy and still keep the camper temps in a comfortable range.

That is an option, add the cons of both however. And cost. Might be worth it though.

Another plus for portable, no snow buildup.

java

Expedition Leader
I had my 100W panel mounted on my roof and really like that setup. The angle isn't ideal, but quite adequate for relatively short (2-3 day) stops, provided the battery gets charged from your alternator when the truck is running.

I've recently added a FrontRunner roof rack and will mount the same solar panel underneath the rack, on stainless steel drawer slides. The panel will slide out when I'm parked, and slide back in under the rack when I leave camp. Very quick & easy "deployment," does not limit what can be carried on the roof rack, and the slides are easily disconnected should I want to take the panel off the truck entirely. I foresee potential problems with dust and dirt getting into the slides, but I may be able to enclose them (or at least pack them in with a ton of grease). At the end of the day, what I'll be using will be ~$25, 22" slides that I can replace on a yearly basis without an issue.

I have seen that done, and it seems slick. My roof is ~11' off the ground :Wow1:

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Great idea, at least for me, allows to use the front runner table rails to pack another 200w fixed panel and not get damaged. I currently have a table there, but I could turn this and get a second rail set.

I could then pull the fixed panel out and stand it up. I have a portable folding unit, but only at 80w, which is enough to run a fridge a day or two, but not if it's cloudy or short days.

Good list of pros and cons for both setups....

OCD Overland

Explorer
Another potential problem with portable units is theft. If they're only out when you're around, then it's not an issue, but I'd feel at least a little nervous if I ever had to leave them out when I was away.

java

Expedition Leader
Another potential problem with portable units is theft. If they're only out when you're around, then it's not an issue, but I'd feel at least a little nervous if I ever had to leave them out when I was away.

Ah that's a very good point

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I go with the set it and forget it solar setup. Ultra thin panel surface mounted to my poptop that charges both batteries all the time. I dont pay any attention to where and how I park or when I pop my top. I always have cold beer and my Land Cruiser always starts. Nothing to forget, move, set up, or worry about.

java

Expedition Leader
I go with the set it and forget it solar setup. Ultra thin panel surface mounted to my poptop that charges both batteries all the time. I dont pay any attention to where and how I park or when I pop my top. I always have cold beer and my Land Cruiser always starts. Nothing to forget, move, set up, or worry about.
Which panels did you go with? Do you clean them?

I'm leaning toward roof mount after the theft comment

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Roof mount is the way to go... although I see you are in Seattle which is not always a sunny place...

Don't put a hole in your roof. Run solar cables through the floor. If you are clever, you can usually find an existing hole that will work.

java

Expedition Leader
Roof mount is the way to go... although I see you are in Seattle which is not always a sunny place...

Don't put a hole in your roof. Run solar cables through the floor. If you are clever, you can usually find an existing hole that will work.

Overcast and moss growth.... Not ideal but my current panels still make power.

Not sure I have a good way to get them down without a hole... I have an enclosure with two glands I just haven't installed it as I am going back and fourth.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I went for best of both worlds and built rack to hold the panel:

my6-e24ct1BcWsStHDfMIU2Aov1ipoPqcB4vS-UfYVy5sPu-HND0_dmpn9cp5_BKwoU-JwsEoU6xPj_vb5GfOGueeIkD0ij_ZAQAj7A0Yw4X8bjte1KzNFgr151pu1tl0wUzhcaTwLPaQHccqC5EwhysqDvxhwcon1yPnEBIXLAb6KMBmTyjiJ2Bfw4vEbkYvGvxUrdI1os4mg9B6Tvu7ElFEXb6pdk0HhozXQdSXXFLS7pNOSIcPIU2LDvMpS819ep2Bz-D5z2jY8jyGb7IqT4DMFQAThkYykKEB7AbmXUsHMpKLw-D96L5KuCBpCLLz8wUltLeVk0Axn46F-yQ6DqHhyUtgR3KlSztUH61_xNk-1bTJFa1VNHQLIEfdejb57Y4hFTmc2xT3r37M0wQ_-kPppROpkD7cIKJL5-bhCcvrvLSo-YT391ctvtTitGr_EFpS3mL1DzUsEzJqkjqp5QXwn0bilchUlJN9zrngzICcRh7QlDrcTVwz7NMkRnoT_RZ_Vavx99QoQg3N1_HYscINiPUd_vWJkNk3mQxHbF7S_CtuW_kS4GLAYW-97LCHYd0_hOyDC1MjRmAeUYRsifs4PMwdPgGinWOuR3iRwQ0KMeFL6vkr9WSbzL1byR9bS6Ji1tjmwWLuXJfleu2xIg80kx9a6p5qJj8IxZ3i14=w800

The panels are mounted inside a rack made from C-channel aluminum. That rack mounts to the forward end of the pop top and is in-place on the top at all times. When the van is parked, the panels are charging the battery via the roof-mounted cables. You can see the hinge on the left side - that left edge of the rack is secured with a padlock, but can swing out of the way. When I get to camp, I can open the driver's door and stand on the entry step - the solar panel slides out from the rack, and can be deployed out away from the van via a second, longer cable:

23GjQmcHB9dqZgqy6r96A7UGz9k2rn-ZVRUbzEonKNy-fNzReTMszAlQUAJKlj940-oWTPXGFB7crMg9nxW0G6N4J9scIDZ035988yH_g40s3GSqTliFpqn_gnPZMwe8SaWFdc077NHPziY--tZADsJ5l-fklW2xnd6bboy2SVVVfNlfZMqiFndAH6xiqEoPYRmPpBM3SXMXsTE3F5_Rb4n6Fw5f_frROPZs2m1n8tBjktNCwSkC4U4OccJvuue_zYAklHNV6E34vkfanhV2LhXguXmbDdnqYPOLWn018nrVYUe9iv590zDwzRz8qvpB-e6Q7gPa0nrVvrTSScLNWrdojrOjrz0e1r7WYPMu_Pzz4s-44xsjb_Vpc1jD-Vut-p71hw9sVV7BhAjSbTa-KzZpGfe19SnP8BQNSFFp3zk9tRQTa_XTnaxPiUhIteJieG3u6GPoGmqL6ShOZaEK_rjxzC5zRuNw6ua_q-hwjg5looy0Qms7c3Egwp425toJ5j4O08POZNTPEEtv9suWfbI87Goj92AQTni29Im9nq_gcb_EJhVRAX81AYMXFmKwrEdI3aT62_h1fHjSUM27WQc2YyWY3DDOeCf3523LqpKGKwt0U01mOcDzBT1wdn8j5QB3KG9D4PFVOK5Lg5vJ9t7iPEj56tBhky7XoV6Z-Pk=w600

Being able to position the panel for optimal sun means I can park in the shade and maximize the power from the 60w panel.

Materials needed were less than <10' of Aluminum c-channel, some 1"x 1/8" aluminum bar to make the corner braces (since I can't weld the corners), one hinge, one padlock hasp, and a couple of lengths of smaller C-channel stock that go under the rack to let me bolt it to the roof crossbars (since the crossbar spacing doesn't line up with the width of the rack.) No fancy sliders, just a little PTFE tape inside the rack. The only time the panel doesn't go in/out smoothly is if I've parked under a tree dropping stuff, so once in a while I need to clean debris out from the corners. Otherwise it's dead simple, secure, and gives me all the advantages of roof-mount and portable panels.

EDIT: Forgot that I also added a thin piece of ABS sheet to the leading edge to act as a wind fairing, too. It's on a short bit of stainless hinge to attach to the rack, then just flops down onto the pop-top with a length of edge-trim on the ABS to keep it from marring the fiberglass.

Last edited:

Nomad1

Observer
I have 120 watts on the roof only gives me 55 watts its pointless to be on the roof as I charge my batteries while I drive off the alternator so portable is the way to go to get the most power possible from them solar panels... And will be the way I set things up on my next project vehicle what ever that may be...

java

Expedition Leader
Herbie: so the same panel on the roof you made removable, am I reading that right? Very cool, but won't work for me, roof ain't accessible.

Nomad1: sometimes I park for a few days without moving. My current rig has a giant generator, new one will have a tiny one. Trying to offset that. How are you measuring the output of the panel?

Coachgeo

Explorer
Why not semi permanent mount? as in have it where you can affix solid for travel and ways to tilt fore, aft or port, starboard for when parked. Could see a tiny liner actuator underneath with a ball head that sits in a ball socket beneath panel. On panel at each corner also have ball and socket set up. for travel you lock onto all balls so it is fixed at all corners. At camp site. unhook all but two sockets from the ball so when you power up the actuator it will tilt/pivot the panel up on the two balls still attached. Just choose the right balls causing actuator raise the side of the panel you want for aiming toward the sun. hmmmm.... that sounds phalic.... no pun intended lol. Course maybe a scisor jack in place of actuator might be less complex and tons cheaper for the same effect

confused??? check out how a 3 way tilt Unimog Bed works. Some Agricultural trailers use this system too. here is one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtHlq84gbxs

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94