Portable Propane Cooler - regulated or not?

andytruck

Observer
So, I have an older Dometic portable 3-way cooler. It has a male flair fitting for the propane and a place for a small disposable bottle. Do these coolers typically have their own regulator or does it need to be regulated before connecting? Im sure the cooler had a connector originally that would have indicated all this, but I do not have that part. i will need to make a copper line, or will need to get a regulator…
The unit could be 10-15 years old, but is like new, been sitting, but does work on 120.
thanks

chasespeed

Explorer
If you can get the model and serial off the unit, may be able to locate the information.

Th propane fridges I've come across(full size units in cabins, etc) are 10-14"wc input.

Most LP usually runs in that range input range.

Chase

andytruck

Observer
It is RC 2000.
Also says Manifold pressure 11", does that refer to the propane pressure? 11 sounds like out of the tank?

andytruck

Observer
11 inches water is typical supply pressure to propane appliances.
Pressure straight from a tank can be well over 100 psi depending on temperature.

Then I need a regulator. So, the little disposable tanks are well over 100 too?
I guess I will leave cooler home for this trip and take something less advanced.

chasespeed

Explorer
Depending on BTU demand, an RV regulator should be fine.

Found a manual. The Dometic is a good fridge.

11" in the manifold. You may end up running about 12-14" wc into the gas valve at full burn to maintain 11"wc in the manifold. Though to say without checking it.

Yes, propane follows a pressure temperature relationship.
It boils(0psig) at about -44f
10psig at 32f
100psig at 64f
130psig at 80f

Here's the manual(or one close enough).
http://www.hamqsl.com/RC2000.pdf

Chase

chasespeed

Explorer
Just read through the manual. If you can connect a small bottle to it, that is perfect. It has. Built in regulator for that(as most that connect to the small bottles do).

Even simpler, there are hose that'll connect a POL fitting on the larger 20lb and up cylinders, that'll hook to the small bottle fittings.

That may be just what you're looking for.

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior