Portable Power Pack

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Interesting thread. I am leaning toward getting a Jackary 500 for our Transit van. Right now I am not in a position to do a full electrical install, and I just need to power the 12V compressor fridge and 12 Diesel Heater on the next road trip in a couple weeks. It would only be for one or two nights at the time, so I think even the 12V car charger may be sufficient to recharge it. Or I'll just bring it inside the house.

They have a $80 discount right now, $419.

It appears to have 3 12V 10Amp outlet. So I am thinking one for the fridge, one for the heater and one for the MaxAir fan. If I want to, I should be able to wire a few LED lights to the USB ports.

I also found out that they even had a Honda rebranded version. So I would assume it's good quality.

jadmt

ignore button user
Interesting thread. I am leaning toward getting a Jackary 500 for our Transit van. Right now I am not in a position to do a full electrical install, and I just need to power the 12V compressor fridge and 12 Diesel Heater on the next road trip in a couple weeks. It would only be for one or two nights at the time, so I think even the 12V car charger may be sufficient to recharge it. Or I'll just bring it inside the house.

They have a $80 discount right now, $419.

It appears to have 3 12V 10Amp outlet. So I am thinking one for the fridge, one for the heater and one for the MaxAir fan. If I want to, I should be able to wire a few LED lights to the USB ports.

I also found out that they even had a Honda rebranded version. So I would assume it's good quality.
They get great reviews

OllieChristopher

I just picked up the Jackery 300 solar generator and a Rockpals folding 100 watt solar panel for my truck. I figure between my dual battery setup, charge controller and this solar generator, I'll be good to go. Perfect setup for a small electric cooler, charging drones, air compressor, and a few other small items.

OllieChristopher

And here is a good explanation of what makes a Solar Generator:

This will help those that are confused and get upset by using this term. I have explained it before but this is a better way to explain it than myself.

Of course there are going to be a few guys out there that will claim this is nothing more than marketing. That's cool. For myself anything that creates an electrical current via gasoline, propane, diesel, wind, solar, etc, is a generator. In the case of a battery pack that is hooked up to solar power to energize it, it is a solar generator. Thank you Jackery!!

1000arms

OllieChristopher

Yep, A solar generator can be twisted and skewed to anything someone wants to present it as. I use the Websters dictionary and manufacturers description of what a solar generator is. I'm not into making and forming an opinion based on my feelings of what I want to make something to be.

Take the solar panels out of the loop and now you have a power pack. Add the panels and now you have a solar generator. Dictionary description of generator: A machine that converts one form of energy into another, especially mechanical energy into electrical energy. In other words energy from the sun converted into electricity to produce energy that will be stored for end user.

OllieChristopher

Sounds like an extension of social discord and unrest we hear about daily.
Just change words ”solar generator” to whatever popular buzzwords or topic of the day.

I hear that. I read a thread a year or so ago that got locked down it was so emotional. All over 2 people bickering over the use of a product. I was really happy to get the Email from Jackery earlier today that explains "Solar Generators" brilliantly, accurate and concise. This way it leaves no doubt to those who may be upset or angry over something that is and actual product from an actual product manufacturer.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes it is the solar panels that are providing the energy.

The powerpack is just storage, battery in a box with included connectors and other gadgets.

Any battery sold with solar panels "could" be called a solar generator but the term was devised to imply to noobs the powerpack can "replace" a real generator,

purely deceptive when 99.9% of the powerpacks out there do not include any panels.

And are not even well designed for recharging from solar

usually designed to require overnight on mains

while the cells inside can easily recharge in 30-90min even faster when needed, especially in warm temps.

Stick to "powerpack" and focus on the amps and volts to determine if the included components suit your use case.

Ah at 12V as the apples to apples for cell capacity.

User-replaceable cells are key rather than expecting to toss the whole thing just because the consumables wore out.

And LFP lasts 10x longer than li-ion cared for properly.

Which really requires knowing the internal voltage of the pack itself before any conversion circuitry

and ideally access to the per-cell voltages to ensure you know when re-balancing is required, and when the BMS has completed doing that.

If any of these OTS powerpacks offer these key features, please let us know.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yes it is the solar panels that are providing the energy.

The powerpack is just storage, battery in a box with included connectors and other gadgets.

Any battery sold with solar panels "could" be called a solar generator but the term was devised to imply to noobs the powerpack can "replace" a real generator,

purely deceptive when 99.9% of the powerpacks out there do not include any panels.

And are not even well designed for recharging from solar

usually designed to require overnight on mains

while the cells inside can easily recharge in 30-90min even faster when needed, especially in warm temps.

Stick to "powerpack" and focus on the amps and volts to determine if the included components suit your use case.

Ah at 12V as the apples to apples for cell capacity.

User-replaceable cells are key rather than expecting to toss the whole thing just because the consumables wore out.

And LFP lasts 10x longer than li-ion cared for properly.

Which really requires knowing the internal voltage of the pack itself before any conversion circuitry

and ideally access to the per-cell voltages to ensure you know when re-balancing is required, and when the BMS has completed doing that.

If any of these OTS powerpacks offer these key features, please let us know.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Why do you have so much hostility toward power packs/solar generators? Anyone who spends 30 seconds researching them knows that they don’t “generate” power. And that’s ok.
They might be a little less cost effective than a DIY solar/battery setup, but that doesn’t tell the whole story. And what’s wrong with companies offering a simple solution? Why make something more complicated than it needs to be, when a power pack meets the needs of 99% of people, who don’t want to take the time to become amateur electricians?
I simply don’t want a big heavy battery setup bolted into my vehicle at all times.

I have a power pack and it’s great. When I’m on a trip, I can take it in my tent with me, I can set it on a picnic table and use it as a lantern or to charge devices.
when I’m home, I use it when the power goes out. I use it in my attic or basement where I have no electric outlets. I use it outside to power my music speakers by the pool.
I use it in all kinds of places, for all kinds of things.

Everyone has their own budgets, needs, wants, and knowledge levels. Let’s not put people down for wanting solar generators/powerpacks.

john61ct

Adventurer
I have no animosity towards powerpacks nor those who buy them.

The deceptive vendors are a different story.

Too many noobs have much too high expectations, need more knowledge on how to evaluate their relative value.

All depends on the use case doesn't it?

Those who put together a system from components selected specifically to match their needs, will get much better value overall.

OllieChristopher

The deceptive vendors are a different story.

I have not experienced a deceptive solar generator vender. Jackery is local to me and very honest and forthcoming with their products. Bang for the buck they are hard to beat. DIY solar generators are just not my thing and not cost effective for my application.

My dual battery setup with solar charge controller, 300 watt inverter, Rockpals 100 watt solar suitcase, and Jackery 300 watt solar generator is the ultimate setup for my needs.

john61ct

Adventurer
The development of military / anti-democratic propaganda by governments and political forces

grew directly out of the increasing sophistication of commercial advertising techniques, based on the emergence of the new psychological sciences from Vienna at the turn of the century.

Google Bernays, who wrote the book (literally) on "Propaganda" in conjunction with Goebbels and Freud.

One random result: https://www.historytoday.com/miscellanies/original-influencer

Ultimately, "marketing" is just as evil as war-mongering and fascism.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have an isolated auxiliary battery mounted under the hood, charged solely off the alternator.

If we’re referring to batteries by what’s charging them does that make my battery an alternator generator? Maybe an engine generator? Maybe it’s a gasoline generator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles