Portable Charcoal Grills

ricoisme26

Seen a few threads about portable charcoal gills with some good recommendations here, just curious why you guys do when you’re ready to pack up and drive away? Anyone stop for a lunch break and grill then pack back up? How long do you need to wait until the coals are cool enough to safely be dispersed or packed away?

looking at getting a portable grill for when grilling over a fire isn’t an option.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
IMHO, if you're looking for a quick grill and pack-up arrangement, a gas grill is probably a better choice. Coal/ash management is enough of a problem that some people blow it even when they cook dinner and have all night and still manage to leave a smoldering fire the next day. I can't imagine trying to get coals lit, up to cooking temp, then cooled down and everything stowed in the time we normally take for a lunch break.

We have to pack out our burn waste in my area (no ground fires - must be in elevated containers, etc.), but even if we didn't, it's no fair tipping out hot coals and leaving them smoldering someplace after you leave.

ricoisme26

IMHO, if you're looking for a quick grill and pack-up arrangement, a gas grill is probably a better choice. Coal/ash management is enough of a problem that some people blow it even when they cook dinner and have all night and still manage to leave a smoldering fire the next day. I can't imagine trying to get coals lit, up to cooking temp, then cooled down and everything stowed in the time we normally take for a lunch break.

We have to pack out our burn waste in my area (no ground fires - must be in elevated containers, etc.), but even if we didn't, it's no fair tipping out hot coals and leaving them smoldering someplace after you leave.

I would never consider leaving hot coals on the ground somewhere, luckily on my day trip this week end the park we cooked at had large cement basins for hot coals.

has anyone tried a double walled metal container for coal containment? almost like a yeti mug but larger? It could effectively smother the coals so they stopped producing heat and it could isolate the heat so that it could be stored safely in a truck bed or on a bumper swing out?

Robert Bills

Explorer
Herbie is correct. It will take too long to deal with charcoal at a lunch stop and safely disposing of the spent briquettes will likely be impossible.

The only charcoal method I can conceive of that could possibly work is one of those disposable charcoal grills from the grocery store, but even then you shouldn't leave those hot coals unattended at a rest stop, picnic area or campground when you leave.

61LQVFvgR0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This is what I use at lunch when I want a hot meal:

Getting ready to cook tacos.jpg

GreggNY

If you’re set on a grill instead of a stove type option, something like this might be the way to go. Pretty compact with no charcoal fuss. I don’t have one yet but have been checking them out.

22517B7D-DD00-4A96-B90E-2E6F33FFF274.jpeg

tanuki.himself

and with the threat of forest fires everywhere now most places ban charcoal or anything that can give off embers and sparks on the wind. I love cooking on charcoal but i've given up carrying one as there are so few places you can use it - i'll get a disposable if i'm ever somewhere fireproof

Reactions: WVI

huachuca

Adventurer
Google 'Son of Hibachi'. I was given one of these back in the mid 70's and most recently used it this week. Its a small two sided folding cast iron grill with grate adjustments that can be closed tightly enough after use to snuff out the coals. At one time there was even an option for a bag that was supposedly insulated well enough for transportation immediately after use (no experience with that however). I don't think the mfr is still around but the grills can be found for $30-50 on ebay / amazon. I don't know that I'd go to the trouble of charcoal when travelling but this has proven to be a useful piece of kit over the years.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
UCO makes a flatpack grill. It comes in two sizes and I just picked up the small one for my next moto trip. I tend to do a couple of LNT fires/grill if the location lends itself to it (plus no fire ban) and I'm hoping this grill will make it easier then sourcing flat rocks and breaking down the firepit in the morning to return the area to normal. Good luck!

8DAF3F4A-2F4B-43E0-B622-EE5E04247F1A.jpegF4FD35C1-E0BF-4C93-90DF-DBB727832E9F.jpeg3DACE2F9-A145-43C1-BE73-86978E54C90A.jpeg1F623E81-DCC4-46E8-A5CD-DCAD888CEC5B.jpeg62B07536-6D08-498E-8F19-4F74A9DAB858.jpeg

Photobug

UCO makes a flatpack grill. It comes in two sizes and I just picked up the small one for my next moto trip. I tend to do a couple of LNT fires/grill if the location lends itself to it (plus no fire ban) and I'm hoping this grill will make it easier then sourcing flat rocks and breaking down the firepit in the morning to return the area to normal. Good luck!

View attachment 600949

I have looked at something like that but to use in conjunction with small wood pieces to enjoy a fire or cook off one without a fire pit. I ended up with this instead.

Photobug

I have a Coleman version of this but think this is a better product, grill, griddle and single burner all in a nicely wrapped kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles