Portable battery and 12v outlet question

Trucks2019

I see that on many of the portable batteries (goal zero, jackery etc.) there is only one 12v power outlet. I was hoping to use one to power my fridge 24/7, run led lighting and diesel heater (in winter) and believe these are all the same 12v connection. How does everyone run these without having to constantly plug/unplug from the battery? Could I use a splitter to run multiple items off the same port for example?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
That is a deep rabbit hole. There is a sun forum on this board for 12V power systems and associated stuff. You might spend some time reading there for a while.

Umbrarian

Observer
I see that on many of the portable batteries (goal zero, jackery etc.) there is only one 12v power outlet. I was hoping to use one to power my fridge 24/7, run led lighting and diesel heater (in winter) and believe these are all the same 12v connection. How does everyone run these without having to constantly plug/unplug from the battery? Could I use a splitter to run multiple items off the same port for example?

Goal Zero generally has 2 ports. One a cigarette style port and the other is a 6mm port. I use the 6mm, to run my fridge, and a cigarette splitter if I need more than one of those.

chet6.7

Explorer

I bought 2 NOCO splitters, nothing I have stays plugged in without being taped.

billiebob

Based on load....
The bottom line systems are set up to power a single use.
If you need more, you need a more capable system.
MANY have pushed the limits and watched
the results burn to the ground

Electricity is a simple yes/no system.... do not ask the internet.... ask the manufacturer and get it in writing.

IMG_1406.jpg

alia176

Explorer
I'm going to answer the 12v outlet question with a question. Why are so many folks buying and adding yet another battery inside their vehicles when they have one under the hood? The space in my rigs are premium and I can't see bringing a head crushing battery pack inside the cab. It's intersting to me that folks don't run fused wires into the cab for constant hot 12vdc and mount them all over the place! I do realize that running wires isn't for everyone but still, holy moly :unsure: No offense meant, just find this particular bandwagon interesting, that's all.

Alloy

I'm going to answer the 12v outlet question with a question. Why are so many folks buying and adding yet another battery inside their vehicles when they have one under the hood? The space in my rigs are premium and I can't see bringing a head crushing battery pack inside the cab. It's intersting to me that folks don't run fused wires into the cab for constant hot 12vdc and mount them all over the place! I do realize that running wires isn't for everyone but still, holy moly :unsure: No offense meant, just find this particular bandwagon interesting, that's all.

2 reasons
- additional capacity so engine isn't run as often
- if the starter battery is run down how will the engine start.

highwest

The YouTubers, Ambition Strikes, highlighted EcoFlow’s hub system that will power multiple 12v items, but I can’t recall if the system was permanent or portable. I believe they are sponsored by EcoFlow and I am not affiliated with either, so grain of salt and all that…

alia176

Explorer
2 reasons
- additional capacity so engine isn't run as often
- if the starter battery is run down how will the engine start.

Good points! Having the lagest size/capacity battery stuffed into the battery holder will take care of both of those needs. Granted, if you're base camping for a week and not moving daily, the fridge will definitely run down your battery and a supplemental charging (solar or start the engine) will be required. In that same scenario, your stand alone battery will also need supplemental charging (solar or run the vehicle).

Again, there's no right or wrong here and they all work.

jmmaxus

I think it’s the capability of the portable solar generators. They won’t add more 12v outlets than what it is designed to handle at once. You’d need one with a larger capacity inverter and such. You need to add up the watts of all the things you want to plug up to determine what size solar generator and capability you need. You can’t simply plug in a fridge to a low powered unit with a small inverter watt capacity, it it will just pop and not work, nor can you plug a bunch of stuff using splitters into one port unless for whatever reason that one port is rated really high to handle it. This one for example has six 12v A/C plugs, but it’s cause it can handle it with the large inverter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
Lots of good advice on here. Don't skimp on wire size or quality. Use quality stuff throughout.

To make my system more easily installed and removed from either vehicle, I made up 2 aux battery boxes, complete with screw in ARB 12v fridge plug receptacle on them. Do NOT try to use a regular 12v plug. They don't hold well enough and end up arcing/shorting out. Do not use factory plugs, wiring is almost always too thin.

Good luck with your endeavor. Educate yourself. You can always make your system better but not if you don't make it safe to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior