Portable AM/FM/Shortwave/NOAA/Air band Radio.

FAW3

Adventurer
Over the years I've always liked to bring along a portable AM/FM radio on my travels. Hammock hanging or tenting off a motorcycle or roaming around in a van or RV having a source of news & music that was not based on having cellular service and/or power from a vehicle often filled a need during a quiet night or when I needed to get an updated weather forecast.

My old portable AM/FM/NOAA radio gave up the ghost a few months ago and I replaced it with a much more capable and modern radio. After checking the various offerings I grabbed the C. Crane Skywave radio (Model SKWV). I have really enjoyed having this new radio along. Having the NOAA weather band (and NOAA alert function) is very useful.

1647859753767.png

The radio comes in at about $80. Size is about 5"x3"x1". Uses 2 AA batteries. It offers precise digital tuning, a stereo earphone plug & earplug buds, easy station presets and a simple protective case. Frequency offsets allow worldwide use. The radio lets you listen to AM, FM, Shortwave, NOAA Weather and the VHF air service band. The small size fits my current methods of overlanding perfectly and the range of features is outstanding. Small and light enough to carry in a day pack but big enough to fill a small tent or camper with decent entertainment sound.

If the concept grabs you but you want something bigger, smaller or other features check into what I've found to be the big makers of this class of radio: C.Crane, Tecsun or Sangean. They all have excellent offerings.

This is the review link for my radio (Note: The YT reviewer has many reviews on radios which helped me greatly on my selection): C.Crane CC Skywave AM FM SW WX AIR Emergency Portable Radio Review! - YouTube

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Sounds like a great travel radio, and the SW would be help if the SHTF (Russia sending over nukes and all).

May I ask where you got it and if you could post a picture here of it ? Too lazy to sit through a YT vid and your review above actually tells me all I need to know.

FAW3

Adventurer
Sounds like a great travel radio, and the SW would be help if the SHTF (Russia sending over nukes and all).

May I ask where you got it and if you could post a picture here of it ? Too lazy to sit through a YT vid and your review above actually tells me all I need to know.

Added a photo above. I purchased from my local Ham Radio Outlet. This and many other makes/models on Amazon also.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Thx so much?? for the help and advice.

I’m really interested in getting one of those!

Great review, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior