Portable AC

john61ct

Adventurer
Aren’t all vehicle AC’s 12 volt?
The aircon compressors run off the engine belt not electricity except for controls.

Aircon units designed to run off electricity only with the engine off are usually higher voltage, 12V just can't power the huge loads required.

In DC 48v is common.

AC units need a big inverter.

But the main limiting factor if you need more than a few hours off grid is the huge battery bank required, can cost many thousands, more than the aircon unit itself.

Running an inverter genset and carrying fuel is cheaper, lighter and much more space efficient.

dbhost

Aren’t all vehicle AC’s 12 volt?

No. Well, not exactly. The cabin blower is 12v, assuming the vehicle is 12v and not, 6v, or 24v or whatnot... However the main part that drives the AC system, the air conditioner compressor is driven by a belt off of the vehicle engine.

I will not claim to have any knowledge about how AC in electric vehicles work, or at what voltages.

2Hut8

Fwiw,
Tesla and Nissan use a sealed compressor much like your home refrigerator. It operates at the traction battery voltage.

That brings up an interesting question. If you took an electric vehicle camping then how long could you power a portable AC from the battery that is in it?

john61ct

Adventurer
Easy, but don't forget battery storage is just a buffer for when the solar or genset is not producing energy.

Install your aircon unit (plus DC-AC inverter / DC-DC converter) in your actual box and run it for 24 hrs at a given thermostat setting off a cheap lead battery bank, measuring the Ah consumed at that bank's native voltage.

Of course only good for the heat load inside / ambient outside temp range at that time and that thermostat setting, but gives you a ballpark Ah per 24 hrs.

So just as an example, a 5000 BTU set for 70°F might use 500Ah at nominal 24V, say that rounds to 12kWh per 24 hrs.

85kWh for a current Tesla Model S pack, call its actual availability 60kWh after buck conversion losses, avoiding the shoulders for longevity.

Gives a buffer of five days' usage.

_______
Of course you need to find say 70kWh of energy on average every five days to put back into the pack(s).

Which is 16kW of panels in sunny weather

or a Honda EU2200i running about a third of the time.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
split-klimaanlage-wohnmobil-wohnwagen-caravan-vanlife-aircon-klima.jpg

I did buy a portable aircon, who is able to cool down a normal siza van or an office room, soon he insnt to big. It doenst use much energy, but isnt the strongest AC too.

With one of these you should be able to use solar&Battery and to avoid an generator.

Here is a small review: https://www.4x4tripping.com/2020/07/eine-portable-split-klimananlage-fur.html

trippin

Alloy

Personally I would not be attracted to a partner that required aircon, but of course that is OT

Aircon isn't so bad my buddies wife requires a flush toilet and AC for the hair dryer when they are camping.

Another buddy runs his generator 24/7 for AC so we only go camping with him in the spring&fall.

Avali

I've a BougeRV 2899BTU portable rv air conditioner. It can run on both AC or DC power. It does not come with the battery for DC power. It comes with the power cord for the AC outlet and all the hoses for directing the air conditioning and also directing the exhaust. It's easy to operate by pressing the buttons to change the settings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94