Porsche Macan?

clarence2

With AWD, air suspension, locking rear differential, and A/T tires, how limited would I be out West?

I've followed the Cayenne thread for some time but while I like the offered Off-Road Package (rock rails and skid plates), I prefer the Macan's size and transmission.

Thanks.

Attachments

• macanrtb.jpg
    macanrtb.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 60

XCvagn

I too had preferred the Macan size over the Pepper only it would not have worked for us (didn’t fit 3 across the back with 2 in car seats). We ended up going with another XC90 picking the T8 over a Pepper.

Anyway, I had recently (in the last few months) read an article and seen video comparing the Pepper and Macan In off-road capability. The Pepper was the more capable of the two. If I recall correctly ground clearance and traction were limitations on the Macan. It seemed like the Macan’s drivetrain‘s electronic countermeasures were tuned more for track than off-road. That being said, I think if equipped with AT tires it should perform pretty well and if nothing else it’d be a fun rally car! I’ll try to remember the article and accompanying video to post.

clarence2

Thanks, XCvagn.

I did run across a post by someone who said he'd attended the Porsche Experience Center and one of the instructors shared that he believed the Macan had more off-road potential than the Cayenne, for whatever that's worth.

With air suspension it has 9.1" of clearance, plus whatever an upsized A/T tire will provide. That's pretty good, though it is without (real) skid plates. I can imagine the AWD and LSD (PTV) compromised by track-based tuning, however.

It's a soft-roader, but I've a long way to travel from ATX and I'll appreciate the on-road capability.

XCvagn

Probably compared to the current Cayenne and not to the first gen Cayenne which has an actual low gear and center lock.
For sure! Both 955.1 and 955.2 were definitely over engineered to be as competent off-road as on track. I think of its tricks up its sleeve the on track performance is more impressive. After all the Touareg doesn’t disappoint off-road whereas seeing it in spicy Pepper guise tends to surprise. Good friends with a 958 are the ones that turned us to the overland world and inspired some awesome adventures. On a few outings with them overland noticed others (in kitted out Jeeps and Tacos) on a particularly gnarly route laughed seeing us go by. It's not every day you see a Diesel Pepper and a XC90 adventuring way off-road.

But speaking of the Macan, I'd like to say there was an article in Pano talking about a club going out with Macan and Peppers which delved into a compare of the two.

Attachments

• IMG_4884.jpeg
    IMG_4884.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4945.jpeg
    IMG_4945.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4936.jpeg
    IMG_4936.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 39

Forum statistics

Threads