popup vs hardtop

kpredator

Adventurer
hello
starting a new build,f-350 6.7 8ft box.
also will put a new camper on it also.
have had a popup for 15 years.it has served us well.our only real complaints are noise and perhaps cold temps. but we've camped below freezing often.
just exploring the option of a hard sided camper.i realize on some trails our rig would be compromised by higher center of gravity and height.also probably
heavier. but realistically we don't tackle tough trails.this will be a north american retirement rig.national parks,blm,national forest camping.
thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
thanks
kp

Sound like you know what the pros and cons are. don't forget about fuel mileage with a hardside. I have a pop up and it does get cold but use 2 rolls of reflextix from hardware store and makes all the difference when line the tent portion. there is great conscience with having everything ready no need to unlatch and deploy the roof or break it back down. bit again it only takes a few minutes. let us know what u decide and why.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GoinBoardin

Observer
Hard side popup? The side entry Alaskan flatbed sure looks nice. I do really like the low weight of my old flatbed FWC and have zero complaints in summer, but when the temperature really sinks the condensation leaves me wondering about a better insulated setup.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
kp,
If you are open to a change in paradigm, a small, full featured hardside could be a contender. Everyone gets there by degrees, first camping in a tent on the ground; then off the ground in some kind of basic RV; and finally in a hard wall something. In 2001, by chance, we bought a 3 yr. old Lance Lite 165-s, used 3 times, extended cab for $6500 and have enjoyed every night in the thing, including the frigid ones. The current footprint Lance are 815 for the long bed and 825 for the short, and have a lot more features and creature comforts. 86 inches wide. 6 foot 4 inch inside. 1842 pounds, wet. My favorite part is the great and quiet night's sleep we get in the N-S Queen bed. We have upgraded many of the components to bring it up to current standards (new PD45; 200w solar; newer plumbing, fixtures, and LED lighting) making it an ideal traveling machine. After more than 200 nights in the box, it's like an old shoe that we can hardly wait to travel in. The good part: it is all weather; all season; all road surface with a 4WD truck; and will easily park in a regular parking place. A hardside is also pretty good for layovering in more urban circumstances since it doesn't change shape and with nothing outside; the stairs pulled up; and blinds drawn it's hard to tell if anyone is home. It has a pretty good snow load too: jefe my driveway in 2010:

in AK near McCarthy 2003:

In Death Valley before solar: 2013

Last edited:

downhill

Adventurer
I think the more you travel, the more you appreciate a hardside. For me there is no other choice. I grow weary of the set-up. I also travel year round in plenty of challenging weather. Another factor for me is stealth camping. I need the ability to sleep in my vehicle without any tell tale sign. It must be light tight. A glowing popped top is a beacon to police.

kpredator

Adventurer
guys thanks for the replies.
mundo appreciate the pics and insight.our typical travel has been to cover a lot of country"miles".after retirement can see spending a couple winter months in baja,texas beaches,perhaps 4 corners
on a much slower pace. set up a camp and stay.i think i will build my truck and put on a buddys hard top and give it a shot.
downhill good advice on the stealth.

thanks again
kp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles