popup trailer axle questions/issues

wandererr

Adventurer
So I have a popup trailer frame that I built a small trailer on. The whole setup weighs just under 2K lbs. The issue is that I think the axle is flipped so that bigger wheels can fit. Problem is that I believe that the axles by design are "bent" a bit so that under load they straighten and the fact that it's flipped causes the bend to go in the wrong direction.

So now is the dilemma - try and straighten the axle a bit (remove the bend) or re-weld the spring perches? Problem with re-welded spring perches is that I think I am altogether too light for the axle to flex to straightness under load..... thoughts?

TrailerJeep.jpg

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Do you have buggy springs (Leaf Springs) or a torsion spring axle installed in this trailer?

I can't see at all how you could do a lift by "Flipping" a stock factory installed torsion axle that welds/bolts to the frame and make that work. "Flipping" a torsion axle will result in the slight factory camber upward bend in the center of the axle being backwards or pointed down if you somehow "Flipped" a torsion axle.

I can see moving an axle from above the Leaf Springs to below the leaf springs to achieve a lift. All you have to do is move the axle from its original position over the springs and re-mount under the springs. That's what I have done on numerous buggy spring (Leaf Spring) trailers to raise the trailer and all I had to do was weld on new leaf spring pads on the TOP of the axle parallel to the original spring pads mounted on the bottom of the axle. Re-mount the axle under the springs on the new spring pads you installed and you get about 3 - 4 inch lift over the previous axle mounting position. Easy Peezy and nothing changes from a suspension angle perspective other than the axle is now mounted 3 - 4 inches lower which gives you a 3 - 4 inch "Lift"!

You mention the slight camber bend in the axle which tells me they actually "Flipped" the axle over from bottom to top. "I" am not sure at all why you would do that and expect the trailer to track properly. IF you have a torsion axle and they truly "Flipped" the torsion axle my only suggestion is to remove the torsion axle and "Flip" it back to the proper orientation, install/weld "Lift" blocks under the original torsion spring mounting pads re-mount the torsion axle in the original location which will raise the trailer with the axle in the proper orientation. Kinda of a Half ****** way of doing a lift on a trailer using lift blocks on a torsion axle. Other than that I suspect your only other torsion axle option is to replace the torsion axle with one clocked at a steeper angle to properly gain your lift. Torsion axles are available in several different angles. Other than that I no additional comment or suggestions to help.

Last edited:

ottsville

Observer
"You mention the slight bend in the axle which tells me you actually "Flipped" the axle over from bottom to top. "I" am not sure at all why you would do that and therefore have no comment or suggestions to help if that's the situation'

Probably done so the spring pads would hit the springs. But yeah, weld new ones like vintageracer says.

wandererr

Adventurer
It's a "straight" axle sitting underneath a set of leaf springs. The axle I believe was originally sua and I flipped the axle upside down so its soa without realizing that there is a 'bow' in it. I really dont see why they bow them in the first place.

john61ct

Adventurer
To compensate for the vertical load they bear and still have proper wheel camber. This way when the load is put on them the axle will flatten out and the wheels will be aligned properly.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It's a "straight" axle sitting underneath a set of leaf springs. The axle I believe was originally sua and I flipped the axle upside down so its soa without realizing that there is a 'bow' in it. I really dont see why they bow them in the first place.

There's your PROBLEM! You do not want to flip the axle.

All you need to do was weld new spring hanger plates on the TOP of the axle parallel to the spring hanger plates that were factory installed on the bottom of the axle. Re-install the axle. This way the axle is still in the original and proper orientation when installed below the spring just like the axle was when originally installed above the spring.

Remove the axle, make the necessary repairs and do it right the second time!

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've read it both ways. That the angle is supposed to go away when the trailer is loaded, and that the angle should remain. With my 10,000lb travel trailer loaded almost to capacity the angle remains. They're only 4400lb axles.

WILLD420

Observer
They put an arch in them because trailers are traditionally overloaded to the hilt for the under-specced axles that most factory's put under them. Then they wear the inside edge of the tires and fairly soon, the scrubbing begins that leads to an even more bent axle. The arch also tends to allow some shock absorption to protect the spindles from bending at the end of the tube.

You can get new perches at any trailer store, heck, our NAPA even carries a full line of trailer parts. Then, just weld them up. If you have dropped spindles, make sure you get them set square to the ground. You can always ditch the drop tube and get a straight one. That will fix your ground clearance issues and you can upgrade to a 5K lb axle at that time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz