Popup top on a trailer

DCH109

Adventurer
Ok so the title is maybe not what some may think.
I am getting the ideas for my M101A2 build. Currently it has a ARE contractors cap with the side openings and single rear door in the middle.
The side openings also have sliding windows and I may just seal the sides up and use only the sliding windows, That is still open.
The bigger deal is height. While it is great to act as a cheap teardrop it is not ultimately what I wanted.

I am planning on changing the axle and lowering the trailer overall (it is way to tall now) but about 4-6" More along the height of a M416 or slightly taller.

I was either going to build a custom slide in or cut the roof of the ARE and make a popup top.

So the question is any thoughts on the Popup top?
1 options is to use a inexpensive RTT that uses struts and bolt/ seal it to the roof of the ARE or customs slide in. That will be the cheap and dirty way of doing this.

I am not an engineer by any means, however I do have a vision and I can use tools.
So some ideas would be great.
One I was looking at was something like this.

Ultimately this is something I will build with my 2 kids. I know the M101a2 is to narrow to allow a commercial slide in unless it is for a mini truck, and even then, I think building one to the way I want is better.
It is a year project so I have the time to build this (I think)

old_CWO

At Overland Expo West a couple of years ago I saw something really interesting. A guy had taken the roof, lift mechanism and canvas from a pop up tent trailer and grafted it to a utility bed trailer. The execution on it was very good - it looked like something factory built. It popped straight up and gave him standing room in the trailer bed. I have never seen anything like it but I thought it was a well thought out low buck solution.

You definitely can carry a full size slide in camper; just need to narrow or push out the fender wells a little. It's easier than it sounds.

DCH109

Adventurer
At Overland Expo West a couple of years ago I saw something really interesting. A guy had taken the roof, lift mechanism and canvas from a pop up tent trailer and grafted it to a utility bed trailer. The execution on it was very good - it looked like something factory built. It popped straight up and gave him standing room in the trailer bed. I have never seen anything like it but I thought it was a well thought out low buck solution.

You definitely can carry a full size slide in camper; just need to narrow or push out the fender wells a little. It's easier than it sounds.

Take a older popup camper that someone is basically trashing and keep the mechanicals to build mine. It is an options for sure, thanks!

I was looking at just that, how to widen the fender wells. I will say these trailers are build to withstand some major abuse. It looks relatively easy, I need to take more time with it to see how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles