POPUP POWER FOR A DUMMY

john61ct

Adventurer
See my #7, in fact just reread the thread and you can probably form your own proposal.

The shorter the trip the less you need solar, just start with a big enough fully charged bank.

Solar is needed once you get past a couple night off grid.

shade

The shopping list (any proven/specific recommendations):
200W solar panels
2x GC2 batteries
20A multistage w/trickle
Blue Sea fuse block
a few 12v outlets
a volt meter

Anything else a guy could need?
How do you plan to connect the solar panels to the batteries?

kennedyma

I would skip the solar to start with. Go use the camper and see how you do with the two GC2’s. You can always add solar or a generator later.

I was convinced I needed solar when I started planing for my needs. Then we used the camper and I realized I like to park the camper under trees. Whoops solar isn’t going to work for me.

Two GC2’s with a quality AC charger will do wonders. If you start running out of juice then you can figure out how to get or store more.

slepe67

You will be hard pressed to buy a portable power solution that costs less than the setup I described and can still run a fridge for a few days at least. The cheapest option is to buy a used battery from a junkyard for 25$. Charge it up at home, and toss it in the trailer. You will still need at least 1 fused outlet for the fridge, and some minor wiring for lights. Run the battery dead, could be 2-3 days depending on the fridge and lights. With no volt meter you would be kinda guessing about its state of charge. If it runs dead, you have warm food. No big deal.

If you want really cheap, get a couple battery powered stick-on lights, and a ice filled cooler. A good cooler will keep for 3-5 days in modest temps.

I'm leaning closer to this option more and more as I go...this is the norm for us, 7 days and 5 bags of ice (exaggeration). LOL

Whats your camping style? are you just a weekender? If so you dont need solar, just plug it back in when you get home.. like I said earlier, if you get a somewhat decent fridge a pair of GC2's should comfortably run it ~6 days, 4 days in absolutely terrible conditions (like desert camping and restocking alot of beer).. which would cover most holidays and outings.

Solar becomes a requirement for extended time out, to go on a two week vacation for example would want 6-8x GC2 batteries and that puts most people way over their weight.. a couple solar panels dont weigh nothing in comparison.. and appropriately sized could let you travel indefinitely.. alot of people move from coolers to fridges if they do extended adventures because finding and buying ice ends up consuming alot of time and money.. Ive had to take 2.5h drives to refill our coolers before, that gets old fast when you can carry enough food/water to stay put for weeks.

Mostly weekends, but again, this PopUp might enable us to stay out longer. I Stayed in YNP for 8 days in a tent. Batteries w/out solar just might be the way forward. IF I can justify having solar down the road, than I will....

See my #7, in fact just reread the thread and you can probably form your own proposal.

The shorter the trip the less you need solar, just start with a big enough fully charged bank.

Solar is needed once you get past a couple night off grid.

Agreed!

How do you plan to connect the solar panels to the batteries?

No idea... Havent gotten that far. Suggestions?

I would skip the solar to start with. Go use the camper and see how you do with the two GC2’s. You can always add solar or a generator later.

I was convinced I needed solar when I started planing for my needs. Then we used the camper and I realized I like to park the camper under trees. Whoops solar isn’t going to work for me.

Two GC2’s with a quality AC charger will do wonders. If you start running out of juice then you can figure out how to get or store more.

I think this will work, and like I mentioned above: if I decide I need solar down the road, I can add it. For now, it's hard to justify the expense.

Now it's time to start looking at Member Builds for some info!

Thanks again for everybody's help, I think this thing should be ready by April.

rayra

Expedition Leader
What is the total cost A to Z of all of these solar systems you guys are recommending?

Bought a used folding panel kit for $100. A shiny new PWC controller for $60. Built my own roof mount for about $100. Most of the wiring run to my Aux and other 'power module' stuff was already in place for other purposes, but starting from nothing it would be about $50 for a simple enough power wire run to your battery(ies). Call it $300 for 5A worth of solar, if you are frugal. Go for the high end name-brand components and buy everything new, will cost you anywhere from 2-3x that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94