Popular winch mods?

CYi5

Explorer
Finally picked up a T-max 9000 to fill up the ARB and was wondering if there are any popular mods done to new winches in general? Obviously the clocking to get it to fit, but others replace the grease inside with higher quality stuff?

Any common wiring upgrades or solenoid tricks to ensure continued reliability? Also, thoughts on leaving the solenoid exposed on top of the bumper versus hiding it somewhere inside the engine compartment?

Spectyr

Observer
I have a 9000# Warn and I found the best (and only) upgrade I have done is to upgrade the cheap solenoids to a semi-sealed unit from Albright. The wiring is much simpler and easier to follow with the new one. Also build myself a new remove as the old one is six wire (I think) and the Albright only needs three.

Pics
New Solenoid-
IMG_0263.jpg

Test fit -
9cebaf98.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
There is no reason you couldn't use the Warn remote for any other solenoid system, rather than a common and two switch lines the Warn oe systems have a redundant setup on each leg. With a 3 wire system a damaged cord or a mean guy with a paperclip could make a nasty mess.

Expedition Leader
+1 on replacing the solenoids with an Albright contactor.

All these:

IMG_0777.jpg

Replaced with this:

IMG_0776.jpg

Weather/waterproof, higher amperage rating than the stock solenoids, much longer-lived and more reliable.

Wiring in the stock controller was dead easy:

IMG_0781.jpg

Finished job is visually indistinguishable from stock:

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Only thing I normally do is in cab winch controls. I use a DPST switch to safely isolate the momentary toggle on the dash so it doesn't get bumped unintentionally. In cab controls are situational but great when you can use it!

bugnout

Adventurer
x2 on the Albright Solenoid. I have the same winch. out Solenoid failed after about a year, replacement is about $20. Albright was about $45.

Liked that it simplified wiring considerably so I took the opportunity to move the solenoid under the hood and wire in-cab controls

Original Installation
614265748_zci8c-M.jpg

Side by Side
1232265870_GV6Ym-M.jpg

Mounted and wired
1248921970_L2JUt-M.jpg

Cleaned up.
1249848302_ZQbSm-M.jpg

In Cab Controls
i-Tjmp8ZM-M.jpg

CYi5

Explorer
Some very clean installs! Where are you guys picking up the fancy boot covers, etc. for your heavy gauge wiring?

Howski

Some very clean installs! Where are you guys picking up the fancy boot covers, etc. for your heavy gauge wiring?

x2 on the boots. I just have some electrical tape on mine now so there is no chance of anything shorting out. Boots would look much cleaner

bugnout

Adventurer
Got the solenoid from Runva - Winch warehouse in Ontario - found them on Ebay. I was mistaken, it was $65 not $45.

The Boots I got off ebay as well, can't remember who, I'll see if I can dig that reciept up.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Maybe it's better on newer winches, but in the past increasing the wire gauge has always been the first thing I've done, to reduce the volt drop.
I've considered Albright solenoids for some time, but have never been able to find definitive amp/duty cycle ratings.
I still use the stock style, but replaced them with 4 200amp continuous duty solenoids.

fishEH

Explorer
Maybe it's better on newer winches, but in the past increasing the wire gauge has always been the first thing I've done, to reduce the volt drop.

Agreed. I just upgraded my wire to 1/0 welding cable.
Here's where I re-relocated my Albright to.
Solenoidrelocation.jpg

Expedition Leader
I've considered Albright solenoids for some time, but have never been able to find definitive amp/duty cycle ratings.

Here is a link to Albright's specs. The one that folks (including me) in this thread are using is Albright P/N DC88P; look down to the top of page 7 and the specs are there. If you look at the "Contact Performance" curve in upper right of that page, you will see that this contactor is rated at 100 amps for continuous (non-stop) use, 200 amps for 350 seconds (5.8 minutes), 300 amps for 160 seconds (2.6 minutes), and 400 amps for 75 seconds, and up to 800 amps for a very short time (such as winch motor start-up).

http://www.albrightinternational.com/files/downloads/catalogues/SW80%20CATALOGUE.pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94