Pop-up vs anything else

Steelekj03

So many good notes in here — thanks all for participating. Some additional thoughts...
  • My ideal van would be a short wheelbase (eg promaster 136), standing height, 4x4, with a MOAB bed or monk bunk. cab to camper access, easier stealth mode, still good as a utility vehicle. The MOAB is where this fails — not available for shorties — and alternative kits like Wayfarer seem less appealing.
  • I don’t need real off-road capabilities out here, but good winter driving, decent mpg, and would be nice-to-have modern safety features (once I got adaptive CC, lane keep, etc. I pretty much said I wouldn’t go back... huge for driving with ADHD). 3rd 4th passenger seating also a nice bonus for bringing a nephew or large dog or both. Ms Spicy is also pretty convinced that she would hate driving a van around town, and we’ve talked about getting a cheaper, small e-car on the side if I settled on van.
  • I would love to tackle winter and condensation with a Dickinson heater — had my eye on these forever. If anyone has run these with a popup, I’d love to see. I think someone mentioned this for a vagabond build? but I havent seen it done.
  • Think I’d want a 6’ bed and build a bench/bunk under the camper bed for stealth mode or guest. Also allows for skis in the truck vs roof rack.
  • The recent hard sided popup creations like Hiatus look like a perfect match... if they actually existed in the next year. Get a truck and wait?
  • FWC doesn’t really seem like my jam. Too pricey, too heavy, too much on/off to utilize the truck, still battling condensation.
  • I’ve thought a lot about a small, standing height cargo trailer; ultimately I still need a truck to tow it and would take decent time to build out. Can be a plan B or interim solution if I go truck and can’t quickly acquire the right camper
  • Swinging hitch racks for the bikes are easy alternative to the van storage if I land in a truck
  • Truck seems to win the platform debate here, but it’s definitely close. Everyone in a popup: is off-roading your primary consideration? Am I silly for leaning that direction without off-roading in my priority list? other major downsides to the van or benefits of the truck that I’m not considering?

Landman is currently doing a build out of a Hiatus Camper. Here is a link: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/the-“puller”-project.211473/ And Their is another hard sided camper that is wedge style in Development: https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...t-testing-in-the-mountains-of-wyoming.212420/

rruff

Explorer
Truck seems to win the platform debate here, but it’s definitely close. Everyone in a popup: is off-roading your primary consideration? Am I silly for leaning that direction without off-roading in my priority list? other major downsides to the van or benefits of the truck that I’m not considering?

If I wasn't concerned about offroad, and wanted good snow performance, I'd be looking at a Transit AWD (and not a Sprinter). 4WD isn't nearly as good in typical snow and ice as AWD.

tacollie

Glamper
I'm obviously a pop-up guy but another couple we travel with a lot just sold their van to get a pop-up. Where do you want to compromise and where do you spend your time at camp? Our friends took our truck on a trip and came back and sold their van. They built they're interior themselves and made over $20k when they sold it. Full-size trucks are super comfy on paved road and dirt roads. Even doing 80mph through Wyoming I don't notice crosswinds. They could get they're van to the majority of our campsites but it took longer and beat them up. Personality I like think trucks win while driving. I've driven Sprinters, Transits, and E350s. I would rather drive my 12 year old gas guzzling Toyota.

That being said I think they will regret their choice. They like hanging out inside the camper and vans have the best living space. I am fortunate to spend my time with a hardy lady. Even when the tempatures are below zero we don't run the furnace while we sleep. In the winter we spend more time outside than inside. Even when we are splitboarding. We do the majority of our cooking outside. Our friends cook and eat inside on perfect days. Inside space in vans rock!

I think slide in campers are better for the usability of a truck than something like a hiatus of wedge camper. It's way easier to remove the camper. We had a flippac for 6 years. It was a pain to remove and once you build any kind of interior the space is gone for truck stuff. That being said a van will pull a $600 trailer off Craigslist.

Rando

Explorer
So many good notes in here — thanks all for participating. Some additional thoughts...
  • Truck seems to win the platform debate here, but it’s definitely close. Everyone in a popup: is off-roading your primary consideration? Am I silly for leaning that direction without off-roading in my priority list? other major downsides to the van or benefits of the truck that I’m not considering?

I guess I am not seeing the truck camper upside for your application. I can think of two use scenarios that lend themselves strongly to the truck/pop-up - you really need high clearance 4wd or you really need (or already have) a pickup truck. I have a FWC flatbed for the first reason. If 4wd ability were not a driving factor, I would switch to an AWD van in a flash. There are lots of van conversion companies out there that can convert whatever van you desire to any one of the many configurations.

It should be telling that even though you posted this in a truck camper forum, many (most) of the replies are suggesting you get a van ;)

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I guess I am not seeing the truck camper upside for your application. I can think of two use scenarios that lend themselves strongly to the truck/pop-up - you really need high clearance 4wd or you really need (or already have) a pickup truck. I have a FWC flatbed for the first reason. If 4wd ability were not a driving factor, I would switch to an AWD van in a flash. There are lots of van conversion companies out there that can convert whatever van you desire to any one of the many configurations.

It should be telling that even though you posted this in a truck camper forum, many (most) of the replies are suggesting you get a van ;)

▲This▲

rruff

Explorer

Yep, trucks are great for offroad. Mostly because 4WD and low range are cheap and ubiquitous, and the aftermarket has loads of equipment to mod the suspension to your heart's desire. The other place where a truck is nice is if you want to quickly change between camping and daily driver/utility setups. If that is the case I think the ideal for the OP would be a flatbed and custom camper where you have a "gear garage" for bikes and external storage access. I don't like hauling bikes outside.

Pop up camper or camper without the pop up? The main advantage for the pop up is low hanging branches; but I have the cab-over aero shaped and it's sturdy (fiberglass and foam with reinforced edges), so I just run into them unless they are large... and then there is the saw, if I really care. No solar on the roof. If you don't put heavy stuff up high you shouldn't tip over. For me it's worth it for storage and convenience, but mine is for full time use rather than weekends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94