pop up TC needs a new roof.

SicNick

Observer
I was given a 96 Dutchmen by Thor pop up truck camper.:victory: It is a 9.5' model and is self contained.

However, the roof has seperated from the edge in the front and is sagging badly, Im thinking it needs to be replaced. Any insight on where to begin?

I have tested all appliances and everything works , as we speak im testing the 3 way fridge on LPG . And other than the roof the camper is in great shape. Pictures will be posted shortly, TIA for any info!

Last edited:

SicNick

Observer
Hey thanks funrover, Awesome to see a fellow CO4x4er on here!(although my name is Mobcore911 on there)

:ylsmoke: I'll check that site out.

PICS...

IMG_6683.jpg

IMG_6684.jpg

IMG_6685.jpg

IMG_6686.jpg

IMG_6687.jpg

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Hey sic nick it looks like that roof is gone!! I would look towards making a whole new roof out of nidacore or a similar material. Alcoa makes some really cool panels with aluminum coating on both sides I cannot think of brand name right now but they are really light and super strong.
Derek

eugene

Explorer
I have an old popup and there isn't much to the roof. It looks like they just laid out a sheet of aluminum, glued 1" insulation to it, framed it with 1x4's then glued another layer of aluminum to it. Then they sat that on top of 1x6's standing on edge and covered those with aluminum then ran the j channel around the corners. There was nothing in the middle.
I replaced the 1x6's around the edge with cedar 1x6's and used 1/4" bolts and T nuts rather then screws. Then peeled open the seams in the outer aluminum, it was three sections, cutout two 3.5 channels across and layed 1x4's in there. I looked for a couple 1x4's with a little bit of a bow in them with the bow being up s the center was forced slightly higher then the edges. I put one right where the front supports are and the other where the other seam was about 3.5' from the rear.
I found vinyl flashing in a roll at lower and slid it part way under original roof then folded those down over the sides to make new side coverings.

kerry

Expedition Leader
the roof has seperated from the edge in the front and is sagging badly, Im thinking it needs to be replaced. !

That's an understatement if ever I've seen one!
I'd check with some used RV parts suppliers first to see if you can find a used replacement roof. Don't know of Cherokee RV in Denver is still in business but they used to have tons of used RV parts. I might even call the mfg to see if they sell a replacement roof. It would probably be too pricey for my frugal soul, but it might be worth a call.
If that doesn't work, it can't be too hard to build a replacement roof. When you disassemble, do some forensic analysis to give the rest of us pop up camper owners hints as to how we can avoid the fate of your roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles