Pop up styles: straight up, vs wedge, vs flip?

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Looking for feedback from folks who have experience with different types of pop-tops. I think the 180 degree flip tops like the old wildernest & flip-pac and now the AT Habitat seem like they'd really be great since they are nearly as quick as the wedge or straight up pops but offer a lot more interior space. However, it seems (judging by social media and Overland Expo) that the wedges outsell them by a wide margin. Why?

I have never actually used a flip-top, is there something about them that is a problem that isn't obvious? It seems like the wedges have a lot less usable space inside with the bed set up.

PS - I thought surely this must have been thoroughly discussed multiple times, but searched and couldn't seem to find much at all.

rruff

Explorer
The room inside is definite bonus... but it's a huge floppy tent way up high. If it was even a little bit windy, I don't think it would be much fun.

Wrathchild

We went with a straight pop top. Had a RTT and the flip over like the habitat/wildernest didn’t seem like much of an improvement in dealing with all the tent material and getting it all tucked back in. Especially when it’s wet. Wedges don’t offer the vertical room for someone to sit in the bed area comfortably like we wanted. Good thing is, you have tons of options these days!

john61ct

Adventurer
25193e6e2863b693e4eb241b5e3e156b.gif

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I saw someone mention here they didn’t like their flip over one because the height needed to do so kept them from staying in some of their favorite places - hitting trees and whatnot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MuleShoer

Adventurer
I’ve had an original conqueror, two rtt and now a wedge. For me it’s been a progression away from bulk. If you need bed ceiling height then a top like “mission trailers” whic gives an extra foot on the wedge end or pop up like AT “Atlas” would be the next choice.
they are all a compromise in one way or another.

tacollie

Glamper
Our flippac had a ton of room. We had it in some really bad wind and it didn't bother us but we slept like the dead in it. It sucked in rain even with the rain fly and we had condensation issue almost every night we spent in it. It could be a windy 60* night and we would wake up to drops in the morning. It was impressive.

Our popup has more room since we stepped up to a full size truck but it feels smaller. It is also a better shelter. It rocks in the rain and snow. We have a lot less condensation.

If I could have gotten a wedge with a door we would have a wedge right now.

Reactions: plh

plh

Explorer
progressing from ground tent to RTT (hated that - was so horrible to put away on top of a lifted truck) to ground tent to to CTC (still have it, don't like to tow stuff, but does have the nice option that your vehicle can be free when camp is setup) to now building a wedge - I am going to have a door! follow the slow build on IG @83mmax

marmotguy

The advantages of wedges and straight up popup are that you can load things on top without having to take them off when deploying pop up. Solar panels for instance would be useless on a habitat or flip pac type of popup as they would only be charging when you are packed up.

dreadlocks

A wedge is the quickest to deploy and put back down.. for something like a van this can be nice because it means you can go from sitting to standing room with just one quick smooth action, and then back just as quick.. I found me opening the top to my westy all the time.. park on side of the road, popup top.. stop at grocery store, popup top.. I found this convenient since I'm a tall ass lanky guy w/a bad back.

Wedge shape dont matter that much, you dont need much headroom for your toes.. but it does mean you always sleep in same direction.

john61ct

Adventurer
The popup type in my #5 post can take unlimited weight up there. just design for it, so 200# of rigid panels, no problem

shade

We went with a straight pop top. Had a RTT and the flip over like the habitat/wildernest didn’t seem like much of an improvement in dealing with all the tent material and getting it all tucked back in. Especially when it’s wet. Wedges don’t offer the vertical room for someone to sit in the bed area comfortably like we wanted. Good thing is, you have tons of options these days!
The dreaded RTT tuck was one of the reasons I sold mine.

There's plenty of headroom to sit in a wedge if you do it at the correct end. ?‍♀️

Wind is a legitimate issue with all the fabric but on the original 'Nest tents there's loops under the drip flap that let you guy against reasonably strong gusts.

View attachment 552079

The interior space is certainly nice and I'm in no hurry to move on. This particular 'Nest has been with me for a long time, got my first one going on 19 years ago so it's a habit now. You get the full truck bed floor to ceiling space unhindered with the sleeping bed flipped to the side, so two people can function inside without tripping over each other.

I see a benefit from a hard top pop-up such as FWC with a hard roof and partially so on the sides. Not enough to justify the weight, though. The wedge seems cramped so it seems least desirable to me personally. The only benefit is less fabric so it's a trade-off. A benefit once in a while for a downside most of the time.
I'm surprised there aren't more (any?) 180 degree designs that open to the side like the Wildernest. I'd much rather have this configuration than the other orientation.

If anything is carried on the roof (bikes, boats, boards), the utility of a 180 design is diminished. Still, it's a good option for getting the maximum amount of interior space. I've always liked yours.

billiebob

You are confronting the current trend of expo trailers and RTTs. No one does the flip because it is not cool. The wedge is simple but definitely expensive unless it is a home build. And the popup has been with us forever. But yes, the flip IS definitely the best buy for live big in a tiny footprint.

if the rack carrying the canoes and bikes could do a double flip to sit behind it all.... upright.... that would be cool.

flip-over-camper-300x225.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier