Pop up screen tent

straps57

Observer
Looking for reviews on pop up screen tents. Trying to keep the mosquitos, midges, and biting flys away. E-Z up screen cube 5 and the Clam Quick set seem like two possibilities. Trying to keep the family comfortable. Anyone own one or the other. Thanks.

flmike

My wife and I saw the Gazelle tents at last years Overland Expo East. Looked really cool and easy to set up. Weren't in the market for one last year, but will be getting one at this years Expo East.

BRHolt

Have the Clam and am very happy with it. Well built, sets up and takes down in minutes. The only disadvantage is that when stored away it is a long unit so make sure it will fit where you intend to store it.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Have the Clam and am very happy with it. Well built, sets up and takes down in minutes. The only disadvantage is that when stored away it is a long unit so make sure it will fit where you intend to store it.

My family is just starting the first week of a 3 week camping adventure across Canada and the US. At Banff mosquitoes were so bad we had to find a screen shelter. We went to canadia tire and purchased a 10x12 knock off of the clam shelter. I paid more than I wanted but I’m in love! The thing sets up and tears down in seconds it’s amazingly simple. I’d get the CLAM brand if I had a choice, they are cheap on amazon. You won’t be disappointed!D07EA425-6B7A-49C5-9CEA-6BB101F13B4E.jpeg

I have a Kodiak screenhouse 10x14; springbar use to make one very similar. For me the screen house was primarily for bad weather such that in the event we had high winds or lots of rain we could use the screen house to cook in, eat, store stuff, and just hang out. I wanted something that could be zipped up like a tent in the chance of bad storms or cold weather (or both). I also wanted to be able to use it as a tent for guest that came a long, which it does well as there is a 1ft overlap of floor on the walls that works well with a tarp underneath. It has two large doors on opposite ends that can rollup or double as awnings, which is great for use on the beach if you want to use it more as a canopy. It's a good shape in that it will fit over most picnic tables. It's very versatile. We used it a ton on camping trip to beach in October when winds were sustained 20-25mph with 30+mph gust and it held up well. Without it the trip would of been terrible.

I didn't get a clam shell screen house because the screens don't have covers and there is only one door. I've never used one, but the occasional complaint about them collapsing in a strong wind was a serious concern for me. There are a few threads on the topic with most posters having positive reviews of the clam shell. I think it depends on intended use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne