Pop up dilemma Cuchera/UTE XL

mtnjp

Observer
Hi I was looking for help in Southern Ca. We are setting up our 3500 CCLB for some adventures. We are having the same dilemma many have had, hard side vs. pop up. It seems the only thing my better half might settle for is a full wet bath pop up. Looking at the pop up options we think the Hallmark Cuchera or UTE could fit the bill. Is there anyone in southern Ca. that has one and would be willing to let us look at it for a hour or so? I'll throw in a case of beer :beer: good stuff too, not crap. Seriously, thanks for your consideration, we are located in the San Bernardino Mountains........... Keith

ripperj

Explorer
I'm not a Northstar owner, but I have looked at lots of them. Their build quality is pretty high, especially compared to a typical RV. What didn't you like ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtnjp

Observer
It's been a while don't remember the specifics, maybe just the initial look of a pop up vs. a hard. Certainly worth another look. Tried to learn a bit more about campers since then.
I'm not a Northstar owner, but I have looked at lots of them. Their build quality is pretty high, especially compared to a typical RV. What didn't you like ??

ripperj

Explorer
Because of the wood frame work they are some of the warmer campers made, but you do have to stay on top of the seals etc to prevent water intrusion/ rot

smlobx

Wanderer
I'm not anywhere near you but I can tell you that we love our Hallmark Everest. We specifically didn't want a shower in ours but that was a personal decision.
The build quality is fantastic and they are very robust campers. The screw drive lifting mechanism is the best in the industry!
We have the North / South bed arrangement and this set up gives you tremendous storage (we don't use it all yet but will on our three month trip to AK and back in '18.
Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Flat Out

Observer
I went from a FourWheel Granby to this, and I have no plans on going back.

Attachments

• img_0508 (3).jpg
    img_0508 (3).jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 25

mtnjp

Observer
That a nice looking set up Flat out. How do you like the wet bath set up ? The wife really likes what appears to be hard walls in the hallmark bath, if i remember right the northstar was soft walls from the waist up ?

mtnjp

Observer
I'm not anywhere near you but I can tell you that we love our Hallmark Everest. We specifically didn't want a shower in ours but that was a personal decision.
The build quality is fantastic and they are very robust campers. The screw drive lifting mechanism is the best in the industry!
We have the North / South bed arrangement and this set up gives you tremendous storage (we don't use it all yet but will on our three month trip to AK and back in '18.
Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them for you.
smlobx what made you go for no shower, i've heard a few arguments for and against, whats your take ?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Yeah,17 yrs on our now. One water pump and carbon monoxide detector went down. A few batteries. The corners have developed some pinhole leaks which sail patch repaired handily.
The 850SC is pretty nice. A used one's always popping up. No pun intended.
Nice rig Flat Out.

Camp JP

We strongly considered a Northstar 850 SC before we ordered our Hallmark. If you pencil them out, the Northstar is considerably less $$$, but I say its a great value. We kept our last camper 15 years and figured 15-20 years for this one so decided to just go all the way with a custom Hallmark, but I'm sure we would have been quite happy in an 850. As I recall the only real negatives were the timeline for ordering (they apparently build one model at a time in big quantities, so depending on where you are in the year it can be like 9 months out), no good option for a compressor fridge at that time, and you can't use the potty with the top down (wife and daughter's biggest concern!). If an 850 fit my space needs and budget I wouldn't hesitate.

mtnjp

Observer
Thanks everyone for the input. We went to the northstar dealer in Stanton Ca to take a second look. Actually really liked them, my previous impression was maybe misguided. Jeff Wood the manager there spent almost 2 hours with us and we were very impressed. I also like the idea of local service. I'm sure Hallmarks are very nice but I couldn't get a return call or email so....... we ordered a new 850. Hoped to be able to take it Overland Expo but no such luck. Probably 12 weeks out. Should be ready for a big trip in July.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles