Pop up Camper LiFePO4 system

john61ct

Adventurer
For use cases where there is no "Starter" batt on input, if the input current will always be sufficient to carry the loads on the output side, then the only need for a battery there is that buffering function.

The real question is

will the DCDC potentially be harmed by a stock alt setup's "dirty output" if that input side circuit contains no battery at all?

Discussions with Charles and Sterling TS imply that may well be the case, not necessarily immediate damage, but possibly reducing the unit's reliability or service life.

A small cheap lead battery would suffice in this scenario.

But perhaps the Victron is designed with better input filtering so that it is not required at all.

I suppose without clear direction - the VR involved may be the determining factor - it is better to follow convention and always attach input to a battery's posts.

When currents pulled by the loads on the output side may peak higher than the input energy source then a decently sized battery there is important as a "time shifting window" storage buffer anyway.

But allowing the unit to continue to draw power from the input-side bank without any real source actively contributing enough current would very rarely be a sensible design.

ADVdreams

Any update on availability of the Orion DCDC charger? I am anxiously awaiting some user experience.

I would have definitely gone this route if it was available for my house bank charging, rather than blue sea ACR alt charging system I installed. Some real world data would give me the confidence to make the switch.

shade

Any update on availability of the Orion DCDC charger? I am anxiously awaiting some user experience.

I would have definitely gone this route if it was available for my house bank charging, rather than blue sea ACR alt charging system I installed. Some real world data would give me the confidence to make the switch.

The Victron North America guy and Alan at Bay-Marine said container is in transit

I doubt much has changed in the last two days.

john61ct

Adventurer

It will be a while before a range of useful reports are in.

Sterling's been around a long time. . .

shade

... cringe ... obviously missed that! Thanks.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be brusque.

John's right. If you're looking for a good DCDC charger right now and the initial programming doesn't overly concern you, the Sterling units are worth consideration. If I wasn't putting together a full Victron system, and I wanted something now, I'd probably get a Sterling.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

John's right. If you're looking for a good DCDC charger right now and the initial programming doesn't overly concern you, the Sterling units are worth consideration. If I wasn't putting together a full Victron system, and I wanted something now, I'd probably get a Sterling.

I WAS pretty set on a full Victron system also...

But... the difference in charging capabilities is hard to overlook...

Victron is limited to 30a

Sterling available in 60a or 120a

With a larger batter bank, that’s a pretty huge deal.

Especially in my situation. I’m planning on being propane free and using electric Induction stove, and electric water heater.

Faster can replenish my bank the better.

When using the Victron battery monitor shunt to the MPPT controller you’d have all the power consumption and charging info via Bluetooth anyway

ADVdreams

It will be a while before a range of useful reports are in.

Sterling's been around a long time. . .

I looked at the Sterling products, I may misunderstand their functionality, at the time I believed an ACR was still required, the chargers are quite expensive for the charging capacity, they are fan cooled, and limited availability for purchase and support locally.

The ctek system was interesting but the functionality breakout by module didn’t align well to my needs, too much emphasis on solar charging given latitude and tree cover of my travels. The only time I would have clear sun is during Hwy travel when the alternator is charging. I have a small 80w panel with on-board charge controller that I connect externally to the chassis boost posts. This is enough to replenish the fridge which is the biggest house load.

Last edited:

ADVdreams

Wasn’t taken that way at all ... cringing at my lack of reading comprehension!

shade

I WAS pretty set on a full Victron system also...

But... the difference in charging capabilities is hard to overlook...

Victron is limited to 30a

Sterling available in 60a or 120a

With a larger batter bank, that’s a pretty huge deal.

Especially in my situation. I’m planning on being propane free and using electric Induction stove, and electric water heater.

Faster can replenish my bank the better.

When using the Victron battery monitor shunt to the MPPT controller you’d have all the power consumption and charging info via Bluetooth anyway
Orion-Tr Smart chargers can be paralleled to whatever amperage you desire, but I agree that it'd be swell if they had a higher output available in a single unit. That may be an effort on their part to move customers toward other options, like their 50A & 100A buck-boost converters, or one of their inverter/chargers.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Orion-Tr Smart chargers can be paralleled to whatever amperage you desire, but I agree that it'd be swell if they had a higher output available in a single unit. That may be an effort on their part to move customers toward other options, like their 50A & 100A buck-boost converters, or one of their inverter/chargers.

Parelleled as in adding multiple orions? Ummmmm....

Yeah, their buck boost systems are pretty slick indeed. But at over $1000 for their 100a one, that seems a bit ridiculous

Yeah, i plan on using their inverter/charger (multiplus) also, in the camper

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Note that the sterling chargers ratings are optimistic. You will not get sustained charging at the rate at ambient temps above 65F. Especially if you don't have excellent ventilation.

shade

Parelleled as in adding multiple orions? Ummmmm....

Yeah, their buck boost systems are pretty slick indeed. But at over $1000 for their 100a one, that seems a bit ridiculous

Yeah, i plan on using their inverter/charger (multiplus) also, in the camper
$256/30A to add multiple Orion-Tr Smarts. Doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm starting with a single unit, but may add a second. Anything more would tax my alternator more than I care to, and I only have a 160Ah LFP battery to charge.

If you're already considering a MultiPlus, have you looked to see if they have a unit that'll do all that you need in one box? I haven't waded through all of their options, but I know they have several different ways to accomplish off-grid charging of large banks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz