Pop up Camper LiFePO4 system

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I ended up being able to update my camper build... opted to go with 2x Orion tr smart 30a chargers. The dual alternators will keep up just fine and with solar I’ll be under .5C charge rate. I’m hoping they become available in time. If not, I think the timing will be close enough that I could wire them in after camper delivery. After reading more I like the idea of being able to program the Victron. Thanks for all the input!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
$256/30A to add multiple Orion-Tr Smarts. Doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm starting with a single unit, but may add a second. Anything more would tax my alternator more than I care to, and I only have a 160Ah LFP battery to charge.

If you're already considering a MultiPlus, have you looked to see if they have a unit that'll do all that you need in one box? I haven't waded through all of their options, but I know they have several different ways to accomplish off-grid charging of large banks.

Yeah, multiple Orions may be cheaper, but they were require a bunch more real estate and wiring.

Victron does offer a slick all in one, but unfortunately its only 230V: https://www.victronenergy.com/inverter-charger-mppt/easysolar-ii-gx

Mastervolt has a nice all in one, but its somewhat pricey.

However, given the size, and simplification of wiring, i am still looking at it as a possible option: https://www.mastervolt.com/products/mass-combi-ultra/mass-combi-ultra-12-3000-150-230-v/

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I ended up being able to update my camper build... opted to go with 2x Orion tr smart 30a chargers. The dual alternators will keep up just fine and with solar I’ll be under .5C charge rate. I’m hoping they become available in time. If not, I think the timing will be close enough that I could wire them in after camper delivery. After reading more I like the idea of being able to program the Victron. Thanks for all the input!

Curious on why multiple 30a Orions vs one 50a or 100a Buck Boost?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
@Mlachica i was curious which one of us had been here longer so looked it up.

You have me beat by a couple months. I will now refer to you as "Sir" :p

We been here 15 years man... Fawwwwk we're old!

#getoffmylawn

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
@Mlachica i was curious which one of us had been here longer so looked it up.

You have me beat by a couple months. I will now refer to you as "Sir" :p

We been here 15 years man... Fawwwwk we're old!

#getoffmylawn

do I know you? As I turn on my sprinklers lol JK hahaha

I felt old when I realized my IG story today was from 2006! I’m ExPo member #78, crazy!

DRP

They most definitely can, scroll up a couple posts.. I posted the user manual link for them

Yes, you did. To the Victron Orion TR Smart. And yes it is programable. It is a DC-DC Charger, not a buck 12-12 Converter. The converters have voltage adjust but just to one specific point. They do not do multi stage charging.

shade

Yes, you did. To the Victron Orion TR Smart. And yes it is programable. It is a DC-DC Charger, not a buck 12-12 Converter. The converters have voltage adjust but just to one specific point. They do not do multi stage charging.
Good point. There are some configuration options (pg. 11), but I didn't see anything directly comparable to traditional multi-stage charging. I'd check with @Justin Cook to see how best to integrate one into a system.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183

I was talking about the sterlings. I posted the user manual above

DRP

looks like the Victron 50A buck boost is about $700

Orion TR Smart 30A is looking like $260. Parallel 2 for $520 for 60A

DRP

Taking up 2x the real estate with 2x the wiring

Yep, just laying out a possible option to have more charge adjustability than the buck offers

Myself, I'll just go with one Orion Smart 12/12/30 and hope for the best. I think it will work for me.

Right now I have 3 Battleborns and 600 watts of solar. Alternator charge through a dumb relay that I manually switch on when I' m really down on SOC which has been exactly three times in a year. My Alt only seems to push 45A when activated and less over time so I wont be that far behind and it will be automatic. I always have to switch off the relay as things don't seem to play nice as the bank nears full.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
My Alt only seems to push 45A when activated and less over time so I wont be that far behind and it will be automatic. I always have to switch off the relay as things don't seem to play nice as the bank nears full.

FWIW, when I had my FWC, I was only getting 12-15amp from my alternator to the batteries via their house wiring.

I upgraded the cable run from the alternator to the house bank with all 2awg and got it up to almost 60amps.

The voltage drop was tricking the alternator into cutting back the feed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier