Pop up camper fuel economy advantage

Porkchopexpress

Does anyone have experience with a pop up camper and hard side camper of otherwise similar proportions on the same truck to compare fuel economy? The front edge of most pop ups don't look very aerodynamic but obviously have less frontal surface area. My guess is the pop up would do better but not by much.

RedRoostre

With the hard side (which was both taller and heavier) we would average 9-10mpg (diesel). The pop-up gets 12-13mpg and I drive it faster because it feels ok to do so.
I have seen 14+ on 45-55mph back roads. Truck gets 15-16 unloaded.

Porkchopexpress

I don't want to keep adding threads that basically ask very similar questions so I'll just post it here:
How much does the lower roofline of a pop up improve driving dynamics. For example, does it handle noticeably better in crosswinds and around corners?
For perspective, I am primarily considering the scout kenai, northern lite and maybe a Hallmark or outfitter.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Its not just the handling which is very noticeable but all the other benefits too. Not hitting tree branches. Ability to use drive thrus, parking garages (sometimes, not all of them) etc. I once tore my full size camper up a bit just stopping to visit a friend. That tree paid the price for that.

I hadn't seen the scout kenai before. So many options have popped up in the last fifteen years.

Porkchopexpress

Thank you! My biggest issue researching pop ups is the north south cabovers mostly have RV queen beds and I need a full 80 inches and my feet still hang over. I could make an 80 inch east west work if I used a smaller pillow but the true north south queen in the Northern lite is a huge selling point to me.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With todays high HP pickups, you will notice far more handling benefits, that MPG gains.

Only significant downsides will be related temps, and weather tight-ness of a pop-up vs a hardside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles